Channel 9 Australian Open Television Coverage

I find Channel's nine coverage not as good, what annoys me is going straight to an ad 20 seconds after a match finishes. Loses the feel of the match straight away. Seven actually didn't do that.

gordo2016

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2017
Footscray, Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I find Channel's nine coverage not as good, what annoys me is going straight to an ad 20 seconds after a match finishes. Loses the feel of the match straight away. Seven actually didn't do that.
Also quite a few times they go to an add just before the players enter the arena and are about to be introduced. Find it quite irritating.

Also quite a few times they go to an add just before the players enter the arena and are about to be introduced. Find it quite irritating.

Still better than Basil and co stuffing it up

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Overall I think their coverage for the four weeks of the Summer has been really good. Using the world feed for some games I think means we don't have to have so many 'b grade callers'.

I think Channel Nine would be thrilled with how the ratings have been going. These were helped by Kyrgios and Barty but they were without De Minaur.

From the sounds of it they were really happy with the ATP Cup ratings and I think now people have seen the competition we will understand it a bit better.

They now have a really strong four weeks of tennis content. A WTA Cup could add to the content in week 1.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
I agree it's certainly no worse than channel 7 but they haven't really changed it a lot, just a few new faces, some good some bad (Tony Jones for example). There is too much non-tennis for me. I hate it when they cut away from a match to show some player just practising for a few seconds let alone the 'player X has just arrived' crap. Even worse is the fawning over the celebs in the crowd. Tennis legends OK, but I don't need to know Rebel Wilson is there.

I agree it's certainly no worse than channel 7 but they haven't really changed it a lot, just a few new faces, some good some bad (Tony Jones for example). There is too much non-tennis for me. I hate it when they cut away from a match to show some player just practising for a few seconds let alone the 'player X has just arrived' crap. Even worse is the fawning over the celebs in the crowd. Tennis legends OK, but I don't need to know Rebel Wilson is there.

The good news is the variety of matches I feel. The one thing that ch7 flogged to death was every Australian in rounds 1-3, it’s better this year imo.

Back