Current Theo Hayez - Murdered Missing Byron Bay Surrounds

Link to the podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/the-lighthouse/id1484039787

Interesting to note the witness who walked to the Cheeky Monkey with Theo said he wasn't drunk. The bar reports Theo had two drinks, became wobbly on his feet and was asked to leave.

No indication of how much alcohol Theo had drunk before going to Cheeky Monkeys.

The latest podcast is surprisingly really good. While the family was waiting for the police to go through the channels to access Theo's data, his family went looking for him in the wrong direction. Sick of it, they hacked his email and went from there getting into his social media and google account. His google showed them exactly where Theo went, whether at a walk or a run and what he did is weird.

When the family realised they'd been looking in all the wrong places and headed out to where they'd tracked him to, basically found his cap straight away.

The moral of the story might be, if your kid goes missing be proactive and ready, willing and able to bend the rules.

The other thing that came out of that podcast, previously The Cheeky Monkey was in the top four clubs in NSW for trouble and violence. The locals are gossipping that Theo was hanging with a bad crowd but just rumour.

His phone went to sleep for an hour at one point after he'd entered the beach. Then he sent someone a text and he was gone.

theo.png

As word of Theo Hayez's disappearance spreads around Byron Bay, concerned locals leap into action. One local suspects drink spiking and leads a small search party through bushland near the centre of town, where there’s a maze of occupied and abandoned homeless camps. But leads are sparse, and the police are baffled. The real information is hidden in Theo's online accounts. His family sets about cracking into that digital vault, desperate for any information when every minute counts, with remarkable results. For information regarding your data privacy, visit acast.com/privacy

Interesting piece of news this afternoon about a wooden 'bat' that was handed in to Police 3 weeks after Theo went missing. Apparently the Police did not take any further details about where is was found, nor a statement from the person who handed it in.

Theo's phone had him at a walk until about halfway along the track that cuts through to the beach, then he suddenly took off at a sprint.

Running from someone maybe and cornered at the beach?

Redacted

All Australian
Sep 16, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe ask Pete Davo to blue light the area . He’s familiar with the area aswell
Only visisited BB in 1994 for a week. Stayed in my uncle's place on Giaour St. Nearest I got was the lighthouse, so I'm unfamiliar with the town. Can only remember that the eastern side of the lighthouse was pretty rugged, mainly cliffs. Couldn't see a beach on that side from were I was looking. We visited Main Beach where my uncle surfed and Belongil Beach where his then partner used to hang out with the nudists. I have a good memory for what I've seen, and it makes no sense to me why Theo would head East instead of West to where he was supposedly staying around the corner from my uncle's place. If he was using a map maybe he had it upside down? Maybe there's some business that hasn't checked their CCTV tapes, and one day they will and the police will get lucky and see someone with a bat heading towards that end of town on the same night.

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
If that is his hat it is very hard to understand what the hell has happened.

His phone activity seems to show him going to that area by choice, a somewhat scenic walk home if he wasn’t tired and maybe a bit drunk.

Someone hitting him in a car in one of those car park type areas and disposing of the hat/taking his body with them is the only type of scenario which might make sense to me, along with falling into the ocean somehow. But the hat thing is a real curve ball.

I don’t know how you’d sleep if you were family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone hitting him in a car in one of those car park type areas and disposing of the hat/taking his body with them is the only type of scenario which might make sense to me, along with falling into the ocean somehow.

There were some parties along that beach as well that night and into the morning, I wonder if he'd heard something and was headed there. It was a really cold night, 9 degrees so probably not swimming and he made it to the sand on the beach so all he had to do was follow the shore.

Maybe, as you said for some reason he's gone rock climbing and tumbled into the sea.

Ljc_86

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What the fu** happened to this guy?

What are the rumours swirling around Byron? The surfer guy on episode 2
said he’d been hearing things but didn’t want to be recorded and then it was never expanded on.
im with you, why keep that in the podcast if you’re not going to elaborate on it..

Maybe saving for a future episode? I have a feeling it might be something to do with the cults and stuff but who knows.
Horrible situation

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This case has a lot in common with Claremont in that police seem to be very very aloof and keeping things to themselves.

That, and weirdos popping up everywhere talking about tea leaf signs and the occult.

Surprised the theories haven't been publicised a little bit more. pretty sure they would have gotten around. backpackers who come to Australia are notoriously scungey. drugs, long-term stays, doing anything possible to be here as long as possible... it's not like the typical three month stay for Australians in Europe. the bat is ******* creepy and seems like a movie.

His parents seem like good folk and very intelligent – always thought that as soon as his old man came into the media.

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
They reckon a girl stayed at the hostel and was told to check out the beach. when she went from town to the beach,google maps said to take the path he did. she thought it was weird it was a bush track but even weirder that it turned out accurate.

They reckon a girl stayed at the hostel and was told to check out the beach. when she went from town to the beach,google maps said to take the path he did. she thought it was weird it was a bush track but even weirder that it turned out accurate.

So he was definitely heading to the beach then, he wasn't just drunk and reading his map upside down or anything?

Listened to the podcast a few days back and read a few different sources with their theories. Would like to know if Theo in his search history, used Cheeky Monkeys (CMs) to Tallow Beach. - that gives a result that is close to Theo's actual route (using Milne track) and he moved off Milne (for whatever reason) to go through bush and head towards Cosy Corner.
Plenty of suggestions why he didn't head straight back to Wake up hostel straight away after being told to leave CMs.
Couple of loose ends to cover off include:
Would be great to hear the DNA status on the cap and did the woman who says she saw a body on the road 2 days after he went missing actually make a report that can be confirmed?

the woman who says she saw a body on the road 2 days after he went missing actually make a report that can be confirmed?

Oh I must have missed that. How could you see a body on the road and not check to see if they needed help and/or not make a call?

Lot of careless people out there though I guess.

Oh I must have missed that. How could you see a body on the road and not check to see if they needed help and/or not make a call?

Lot of careless people out there though I guess.
Just don't know what to think of this part of the puzzle.

An Australian journalist investigating the disappearance in Australia of 18-year-old Belgian backpacker Théo Hayez (photo) has been approached by a potential witness who claims to have seen a body that resembled the missing man lying by the side of the road just two days after he disappeared on the night of 31 May to 1 June this year.
Journalist David Murray, who is a crime correspondent for The Australian, has followed the case since the beginning. He has published the results of his investigations on a website which now features a video in which a woman, beauty therapist Leesa Home, described driving at about 04.00 just outside Coffs Harbour, some 240km from where Théo was last seen at Byron Bay in New South Wales. The video of the woman’s report is here.
Suddenly, she saw a man aged around 30 years by the side of the road in the pitch black of night, gesticulating at her to stop. Beside the man, lying on the ground apparently lifeless, was another man who resembled the description of Théo.
She did stop, but then took fright and drove off again. She claims to have reported the incident to police, who later said they had found no trace of the two men. However Murray has been unable to unearth any police report of the incident.

News in that 2 hair strands found on the hat are now being tested for DNA - something like 6+ months after the hat was found.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...test-two-hairs-Theo-Hayezs-hat-Byron-Bay.html

Shock Theo twist as police FINALLY conduct DNA tests on two hairs found inside the missing backpacker's hat - eight months after Belgian vanished in Byron Bay
  • Theo Hayez went missing on 31 May at Byron Bay in mystery that rocked nation
  • Hat was found by a member of the public in bushland near last known position
  • Now detectives are testing two hairs found on the hat to see if they match Theo

Things move a little slowly in Byron? Just would have guessed that the hairs would have been tested when the hat was found (assuming the hairs were spotted on the hat at the time - surely?)

There are massive backlogs of evidence waiting for analysis in every state, some are worse than others.
Fair point - i think they have tested the hat for DNA just not the hair strands. Not knowing all the facts about backlogs, available resources to perform the tests and any other points that may be relevant, its easy to just look at it and say "wtf, why didnt the hair get tested straight away?"

A cynical person may be thinking, hey the coroner is involved now and has that set off some grenades to step it up a bit?

A cynical person may be thinking, hey the coroner is involved now and has that set off some grenades to step it up a bit?

That's probably right I think. Someone a bit more across this might say I'm wrong but I believe hair analysis is trickier for results than say, skin or other cells so they may have just kept pushing this to the end of the queue until time's up on it.

Back