Margaret Court Arena

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
how does she use it?
She’s a registered pastor of a church - it’s not like she’s handing out trophies at tennis tournaments and saying ‘stay straight.’

that’s like accusing Peter Garrett of using his platform as a celebrated musician to spew his political views when he was an active member of the senate
She boycotted the last 2 AO because tennis was full of lesbians, and then threw a hissy when the AO werent going to make a big deal about her Calender Grand Slam.

What she says from her pulpit to her like minded congregation is between them and their God.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Court is proper bat s**t crazy. If she wasn't good at tennis back in her day, she would just be the old woman in the neighbourhood you'd tell your kids to avoid.

Don't really care for the name of the stadium either way, but their little protest - even if a bit of a weird one - ruffled a few jimmies so props for that.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
She boycotted the last 2 AO because tennis was full of lesbians, and then threw a hissy when the AO werent going to make a big deal about her Calender Grand Slam.

What she says from her pulpit to her like minded congregation is between them and their God.

she boycotted the open in at least one of those years BECAUSE of the grand slam thing - and I don’t blame her. They flew laver out to honour him from America, and wouldn’t do the same for her

Randall Stevens

Senior List
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
im not saying you’re one of these people but there is a degree of irony about the comment given that the biggest story in the news over the last few days has been a rapist basketballer having his life celebrated globally because he was so good at his sport

For some real irony, Navratilova yesterday advocated that Bryant's home stadium be named in his honour at the very same time as stating that Margaret Court Arena should be renamed. While Bryant was not convicted, despite the tragedy of his death there remains very strong doubt as to his innocence. It seems like significant double standards to one hand want a great honour taken away from one champion for expressing an opinion while at the same time advocating that another champion have a similar honour bestowed despite strong suspicion remaining that he had committed a brutal criminal offence.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
For some real irony, Navratilova yesterday advocated that Bryant's home stadium be named in his honour at the very same time as stating that Margaret Court Arena should be renamed. While Bryant was not convicted, despite the tragedy of his death there remains very strong doubt as to his innocence. It seems like significant double standards to one hand want a great honour taken away from one champion for expressing an opinion while at the same time advocating that another champion have a similar honour bestowed despite strong suspicion remaining that he had committed a brutal criminal offence.

The real irony is that Navratilova is calling someone homophobic while that same alphabet community she is supposed to be part of has labelled her transphobic.

Arseclownery to the max.

hirdy_is_champ

Premiership Player
Nov 22, 2003
tunnel
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
ESSENDON
I think more of the issue is that it's something she has continually pursued through articles, which obviously media outlets have asked her for because they want the controversy. If she had simply stated something like she believes marriage should be between a man a women and left it then I think most people wouldn't give two shits and simply agree to disagree, but I think the outrage is ridiculous. She is being recognised solely for her tennis achievements. This does not make TA homophobic or anything of the sort. There's probably a number of players with similar opinions considering how many of them are crucifix wearing, but they are smart enough to shut up, or the media just doesn't ask them. Personally, I don't understand why one would care so much about someone being gay, it doesn't have any bearing on their lives.

EDIT: Was also just thinking about how they play several tournaments in middle eastern countries that are ridiculously homophobic, as well as China that has scant regard for human life. I wonder why they don't have anything to say about that? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I think more of the issue is that it's something she has continually pursued through articles, which obviously media outlets have asked her for because they want the controversy. If she had simply stated something like she believes marriage should be between a man a women and left it then I think most people wouldn't give two shits and simply agree to disagree, but I think the outrage is ridiculous. She is being recognised solely for her tennis achievements. This does not make TA homophobic or anything of the sort. There's probably a number of players with similar opinions considering how many of them are crucifix wearing, but they are smart enough to shut up, or the media just doesn't ask them. Personally, I don't understand why one would care so much about someone being gay, it doesn't have any bearing on their lives.

EDIT: Was also just thinking about how they play several tournaments in middle eastern countries that are ridiculously homophobic, as well as China that has scant regard for human life. I wonder why they don't have anything to say about that? :rolleyes:

Well I can’t speak for the rest of the world but Christian bashing has earned a degree of coolness almost in this country

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Yet again someones opinion doesn't fit in with the rainbow paddlepop sucking, tree hugging , Captain Cook haters union, so we protest, complain, make a scene and just be a general pain in the arse to everyone else.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion . We don't ram ours down their throats so why should others take it up the arse when they voice theirs.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
Basically had the same reaction as the OP.

Court is entitled to her views and people can disagree but this is about her tennis achievements.

That banner thing is the dopiest stunt I've seen in years.

Insult national pride? Check.
Misappropriate Aboriginal art? Check
Embarrass the very person you're trying to promote? Check

I'm surprised they weren't wearing blackface.

Lol, I didn't even realise it was supposed to be aboriginal art, I thought it was meant to be the rainbow thing.

One other thing, some people seem to think Margaret Court is an outlier with her views. She is not, 38% of people voted against gay marriage in our plebiscite so there are plenty of others that share similar views to her. We need to accept that people have different opinions.

whythelongface

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2003
Leichhardt
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
QPR, Feyenoord, Newtown, Veendam
I'm not interested in what any former tennis players think about gay marraige.. whether thats Court, Martina or Johnny Mac. They are all as irrelevant as each other.

It was a stupid stunt today that just pissed people off particularly given it's two foreigners.

Imagine John Newcomb and Rod Laver protesting for Black Lives Matter at the US Open! WTF do you think you're doing?

Peter Norman says hello. Yes not tennis but on an international stage and protested a matter that did not directly affect him as an Australian.

If you have a strong enough opinion about a matter then why should you not be able to voice your opinion. Are we so self conscious that we can’t accept criticism from non Australians. No problem whatsoever with their actions.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I don't agree with Margaret Court's opinion but I think her name stays on the stadium. I think there is a large number that disagree with her but really only a small number of people that really care about the name on the stadium.

Someone used the comparison of Don Bradman the other day. He was awfully prejudice, racist and an awful person to many but no one cares about his name being on things.

I think the only reason for someone to lose their name to something is if they are convicted of a serious crime.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Love how many people sook at the mere suggestion that the arena should be renamed. Yet the ones suggesting are the outraged ones are they?

I don’t see what’s wrong with renaming the stadium to someone who is a better example to the rest of society.

Tig017

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Love how many people sook at the mere suggestion that the arena should be renamed. Yet the ones suggesting are the outraged ones are they?

I don’t see what’s wrong with renaming the stadium to someone who is a better example to the rest of society.
It's important not to appeal to people of your ilk. Naturally someone like yourself wouldn't understand this.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
By all means think that, but your posts here have given me more than enough information to know exactly what "group" you belong to. ;)
If that means being part of the group that thinks a hateful divisive old bat isn’t worthy of having an arena named after her then whatever.

I have zero time for people who spew hate and hide behind myths.

Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
FWIW I don't agree that the court should be renamed. I wouldn't care if it was or not tbh.

However she is an ignorant bigot who claims lesbians have taken over the sport and the young ones are being corrupted. Absolute lol. She is a God-loving crazy person who shouldn't be spruiking such hate. I can tell just by some replies on here that some people may share her views. If that's how you operate and it really affects you that 2 people of the same gender love each other and wsnt to celebrate it than that is extremely sad. Marriage is so sacred after all....FFS half of marriages collapse. So sacred.

I hope for anyone who has such outdated and judgemental views that you never have a brother, sister, son or daughter who is homosexual/lesbian.

Leave the court as is. Her tennis career deserves it. Let's just hopefully not hear from her again. Thankfully she has been quiet this year.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Tig017

Team Captain
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
If that means being part of the group that thinks a hateful divisive old bat isn’t worthy of having an arena named after her then whatever.

I have zero time for people who spew hate and hide behind myths.
Yes yes, keep insulting the elderly for having different views to your own. Stay inside that little bubble of yours.

Gee this comment doesn't paint you in a good light at all.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Like I care? You're the same as him.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes yes, keep insulting the elderly for having different views to your own. Stay inside that little bubble of yours.

Like I care? You're the same as him.
So your rebuttal is “poor old people!”

Dealing with a real bright spark here clearly.

What’s the matter? Part of the nutter Pentecostal church too?

Maylandsman

🐯EAT ‘EM ALIVE🐯
Oct 22, 2017
By the Seaside
AFL Club
Richmond
Djokovic said it right. I see no reason for Court’s name to go. She is, like it or not, a legend of the game. She has an alternative opinion and so what. You are not bound to agree. Juvenile screeching like bigot just makes the commentator look like a pilot brat. Name calling because she said something I don’t agree with. She has a right to her opinions/beliefs just as she has the right to be remembered as a a legend of the game, worldwide, as she is.

Back