NBA All Star Weekend 2020 - Chicago, Ill. Feb 15-17. Tickets available at various outlets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone in the media gave Evan Fournier a starting vote
Who would’ve thought the media would be worse than the fans... At least everyone knew the fans were trolling.

Hmmm, I'm starting to think I over reacted. It looks like the reason so many players are tied at 4th for guard in the west is because tied 4th is guards with zero votes.

Likewise Camelo and Tacko.

You get what you wish for really. Players already don't take the ASG seriously and if fans want to vote for Caruso, Tacko Fall etc. over guys like Booker then that's on them. Voting for Steph Curry is just ridiculous. Klay Thompson got more votes than Lou Williams and won't feature all season.

Maybe it doesn't matter to some players but there are guys like Kyle Korver, Andre Iguodala, Jrue Holiday, DeAndre Jordan who have been in the league a long time and are one time All Stars. And then you have someone like CJ McCollum who has averaged 20+ points for the last 4 years and is a career 40% 3 point shooter that hasn't been selected. It is still an honour to be selected, and people are pretty quick to mention '18 time All Star' when listing the accolades of the late Kobe.

As far as special picks, I did love D Wade and Dirk being selected last year. I'd love to see Vince Carter picked for the East and Carmelo Anthony (who is going OK and might stick around) for the West. Or Dwight, CP3 etc. when they are close to finishing up.

Stupid fan voting basically gets weeded out by the player / media voting anyway.

Since they split the votes there haven't been any All Star starters that didn't deserve it.

Carmelo is 6th in WC front court players with 35 player votes and 1m+ fan votes. He's been OK but not a top 12 F/C in the league. The fans and players voted for him because he's Carmelo.

It's always been a popularity contest and that's cool, but if people keep voting for Pachulia, Fall, Caruso etc. I reckon they might move towards pre-screening who you can vote for.

Carmelo is 6th in WC front court players with 35 player votes and 1m+ fan votes. He's been OK but not a top 12 F/C in the league. The fans and players voted for him because he's Carmelo.

It's always been a popularity contest and that's cool, but if people keep voting for Pachulia, Fall, Caruso etc. I reckon they might move towards pre-screening who you can vote for.

Why? No undeserving All Stars are making the starting 5 so why does it matter?

Why? No undeserving All Stars are making the starting 5 so why does it matter?

It's a 12 a side game, 13 like last year if you include special picks. Why is it the job of the players and media to weed out stupid fan voting?

It's hardly a major issue plaguing the game, but it's not really in the NBA's interests to have people eroding the legitimacy of the event. Caruso got roughly as many votes as Booker and CP3 combined. Take him out of the equation do those votes go elsewhere? Do people just not vote?

It's a 12 a side game, 13 like last year if you include special picks. Why is it the job of the players and media to weed out stupid fan voting?

It's hardly a major issue plaguing the game, but it's not really in the NBA's interests to have people eroding the legitimacy of the event. Caruso got roughly as many votes as Booker and CP3 combined. Take him out of the equation do those votes go elsewhere? Do people just not vote?

Voting by fans, media and players only picks the top 5.

Coaches pick the last 7.

Great system that hasn't caused any major issues yet.

Who cares if someone finishes 8th instead of 9th (when only 2 players make it) because some fans like them. Do you care who finishes 8th in an election when you think the 9th guy is more deserving?

How is anything being eroded? All-Star game is for the fans anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the reserves:

Boston’s Jayson Tatum, New Orleans’ Brandon Ingram, the Utah tandem of Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell, Miami’s Bam Adebayo and Indiana’s Domantas Sabonis will be making their All-Star debuts.
Houston’s Russell Westbrook, Portland’s Damian Lillard — who will be competing in the 3-point contest at All-Star Weekend — and Denver’s Nikola Jokic round out the West reserves, while Toronto’s Kyle Lowry, Miami’s Jimmy Butler, Philadelphia’s Ben Simmons and Milwaukee’s Khris Middleton made it from the East.

In summary

West: Paul, Ingram, Golbare, Mitchell (not booker), Westbrook, Lillard, Yoke itch

East: tatum, adebayo, sabonis (first father-son to be all stars?), lowry, butler, aussie Ben, middleton

Rapt Tatum made it, although I am pretty mad Devin Booker missed out, I have no problems with Mitchell in the team, but really, Booker's omission is an insult to him who is easily having an All Star Calibre season, and The Suns.

The coaches have no excuse not to put in Booker in the team.

Rapt Tatum made it, although I am pretty mad Devin Booker missed out, I have no problems with Mitchell in the team, but really, Booker's omission is an insult to him who is easily having an All Star Calibre season, and The Suns.

The coaches have no excuse not to put in Booker in the team.
Reckon Booker is stiffed because of the Utah record more than anything - if they were seeded so high, Mitchel wouldn't have made it (much like Beal in the east with Middleton from the Bucks).

How does a total bum/scrubber like Caruso get more votes than Booker, who has balling at an all star level for most of the season ? Ditto Steph who hasn't played ? Phx fans should be rightfully pissed.

Didnt tacko fall have more fan votes than Bam and Sabonis?

Reckon Booker is stiffed because of the Utah record more than anything - if they were seeded so high, Mitchel wouldn't have made it (much like Beal in the east with Middleton from the Bucks).
There’s merit to this. If Ayton didn’t get suspended you could mount a fair argument the Suns are closer to a .500 team and he gets in? I don’t think Mitchell is undeserving but if you compare how efficient Booker has been, he should get the nod.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back