Opinion 2019 Most Improved

Who was Carlton's most improved player in 2019?

• Levi Casboult

Votes: 45 50.0%
  • Jack Silvagni

Votes: 31 34.4%
  • Jacob Weitering

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Sam Petrevski-Seton

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other - please nominate

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the accolades Levi is receiving have always been a supporter of his but Harry took the brunt of tall forward work in second half and soldiered on after a groin injury - really happy with his performance under a lot of pressure.

A fit Charlie and McGovern - will unleash Harry - not a lot of match ups that can handle a more developed Harry.
I agree. The only knock I have on Harry is how slow he is getting back off the mark to take his kick in general play. As a forward he should know the advantages of the ball coming in quickly. Might just be a fitness thing.

Jack silvagni clearly quelled fyfes impact hard to do, joins two other players who can do that which is elliot yeo and jarrad berry but not at their level yet as JSOS wasn't more influential than fyfe. Fyfe still got 29 and 1 goal 2 so JSOS still has a way to go but really impressed by the performance he put up.

Jack silvagni clearly quelled fyfes impact hard to do, joins two other players who can do that which is elliot yeo and jarrad berry but not at their level yet as JSOS wasn't more influential than fyfe. Fyfe still got 29 and 1 goal 2 so JSOS still has a way to go but really impressed by the performance he put up.
I think Fyfe already had 20 odd touches until half time when JSOS went onto him.

I think Fyfe already had 20 odd touches until half time when JSOS went onto him.
Yep now that you mention it.
Who was fyfe before that because I remember walking away from that game thinking if only fyfe kicked straight (story of a freo supporters life), not fyfe had a terrible game.

Yep now that you mention it.
Who was fyfe before that because I remember walking away from that game thinking if only fyfe kicked straight (story of a freo supporters life), not fyfe had a terrible game.
Not sure mate but from memory the stats of Fyfe and JSOS were very similar from when he went to him. If we could get that result every time we played you guys we would be very happy. Fyfe is top 3 in comp at any time for me for all round game.

Have to say Jack Silvagni got my vote for the maturity and increasing confidence and consistency he shown in 2019 (not just since Teague took over either)

Always knew Big Levi had the tools to be a very good player if it all came together for him, but there was times last season I genuinely worried if Son of Steve was going to cut the mustard at AFL Level ! All those fears and worries have been put to rest. Very, very happy with Jack's sensational season.

Not sure mate but from memory the stats of Fyfe and JSOS were very similar from when he went to him. If we could get that result every time we played you guys we would be very happy. Fyfe is top 3 in comp at any time for me for all round game.
He reminds me of the way yeo stops him similar background, back-men who transitioned into midfielders.
JSOS training as a key position played allowed his one out defending in forward fifty to be competent enough to stop him. Fyfe also likes to float in for defensive marks and slow down momentum, which didn't happen. If fyfe isn't winning contested ball thats his fall back.
Because fyfe is actually a really good long distance runner who just seem to get to heaps of contests. Its hard for taggers to maintin the energy to restrain him all game hes 96kg but JSOS can do that. Plus jack probably trains against cripps who i reckons a better contested beast than fyfe so his contested work didn't phase JSOS.

berry is 195cm and a long distance runner who cut him up on the outside demonstrated by three goals and matched him on the inside. (by the way how much did it hurt brisbane when he didn't play against you guys, cripps went nuts 38 possies and 4 goals).

SPS for me. Since his transfer to defence he has improved markedly. Has become more consistent & reliable. Not a real run & carry player out of defence, but uses great composure and disposal under pressure to get the team out of trouble many times. I believe in the future he may get his turn in the midfield again, but for now his niche is in defence for me.

Have to say Jack Silvagni got my vote for the maturity and increasing confidence and consistency he shown in 2019 (not just since Teague took over either)

Always knew Big Levi had the tools to be a very good player if it all came together for him, but there was times last season I genuinely worried if Son of Steve was going to cut the mustard at AFL Level ! All those fears and worries have been put to rest. Very, very happy with Jack's sensational season.
Yeah Jack gets my vote, worked his ass off in the pre season gut running with the Curnow boys to get his fitness and especially his endurance up to where it is now, was a pleasure watching him evolve over pre season through pure hard work and persistence, let’s hope he goes again this pre season and a few others take note of how much he improved through putting in the hard yards in the off season and jump on board with him, his being an example to the other young guys is why he gets my vote for most improved.
If others like Dow, Fish, SPS, Stocker, LOB, Kennedy, Setterfield etc etc put in pre seasons similar to Jacks last year we can expect huge improvement across the board next year and in years to come, guys like Crippa and Jack can make the difference between an average team and a great team just by setting the work ethic so high for everyone to follow, add a strong development program set by guys like Russell to the example set by the leaders and we will explode on the competition in the years ahead.

JSOS and Levi for mine and the best part of that is that neither are in my best 22 for 2020 (JSOS is probably just sentimentally in place of Dow)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like to see this thread bumped/updated for 2020 given we have had a few pre season weeks to watch and judge on exposed form.

My hopeful prediction for MI in 2020 is Cam Polson, but in my head, I suspect it will be Lochie O'Brien. The kid has all the talent and tools to be a very good AFL player, and I dare say LOB will take the most significant steps amongst our already non drafted 2019 kids on our list.

Cam Polson needs to improve a lot to be decent in the VFL. I am not sure what it is but he seems to get where the ball ain't and if by some miracle he gets it there is a good chance he will burn it.

Cam Polson needs to improve a lot to be decent in the VFL. I am not sure what it is but he seems to get where the ball ain't and if by some miracle he gets it there is a good chance he will burn it.
^^^^^^^^^^^
needs clarification

Thanks for supplying that, JAB. It's good to see him getting a bit of credit for how hard he's worked.

Don't know if I think that show's much chop, though; they've padded out effectively the champion data rankings for Cas as a key defender for 3 minutes with some vamping and some gameplay footage.

Most improved for 2020 -

1. Fisher - Reckon he has what it takes to be an exciting midfielder, but the trick is to get him into the midfield.
2. Martin - Using GC's form, he'll certainly improve on that at the CFC.
3. Setterfield - This guy is a gun and with a full pre-season behind, him...watch out.

Dark horse - Cottrell. Looking red hot this pre-season and if gets a look in, it may be hard to get him out.

I think Plowman could very well be the dark horse for MIP in 2020. Arguably the most frustrating player on our list, he shows tantalising glimpses of his ability and cerebral footy IQ, but more often than not, in polite terms, I feel like his concentration and esp confidence wanders, and he ends up making one wanting to rant and rave in frustration.

The most galling thing is that we all know there is a bloody talented/gifted and valuable player in Plowman, if only he believed that himself.

I think Plowman could very well be the dark horse for MIP in 2020. Arguably the most frustrating player on our list, he shows tantalising glimpses of his ability and cerebral footy IQ, but more often than not, in polite terms, I feel like his concentration and esp confidence wanders, and he ends up making one wanting to rant and rave in frustration.

The most galling thing is that we all know there is a bloody talented/gifted and valuable player in Plowman, if only he believed that himself.

Haha.

Was that a vote for 2020 most improved or simply an opportunity to rant about Plowman?

:)

Not enough love for Plowman

Maybe going to early for the 2020 edition, but it has to be Jacob Weitering surely ? (Or Cuningham if he can replicate his form from the Bimboers game ?

Just surprised and delighted there seems to be a real significant improvement in most of our young/middle range players since Teague took over as coach.

But I have to gush over Weitering again. His rise from prodigious young no 1 pick talent to The Rock of Gilbrator in our backline has been extraordinary and quite superb to watch.

Back