Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I'd probably get carried away and enjoy the ride if we came and bounced back next year but I'm kind of hoping we don't, it's happened multiple times before and never resulted in a sustained period in the top 4.

I'm afraid that if we show too much improvement we'll fall back to believing our own hype and not continue the changes we need to really have a dominant era.

We go to crap again in a couple of years and everyone is in survival mode.
It's weird that success will often make teams move away from the strategies they used to become successful in the first place.

It happens in businesses too. To use an example, no videogame console manufacturer has won two generations in a row for bloody ages because success inevitably makes companies arrogant and they'll start making the wrong moves. It's a never ending boom/bust cycle.

It's weird that success will often make teams move away from the strategies they used to become successful in the first place.

It happens in businesses too. To use an example, no videogame console manufacturer has won two generations in a row for bloody ages because success inevitably makes companies arrogant and they'll start making the wrong moves. It's a never ending boom/bust cycle.

The issue with us as a club is we celebrate "almost successes" too hard and refuse to evolve. The 2012 PF and the 2017 GF appearances were celebrated like they were premierships when the reality was we weren't good enough. We blamed those nasty Victorians and then steadfastly refused to make meaningful changes until it reached crisis point, resulting in sackings.

I put the blame for our complacency culture firmly on our low-energy Chairman.

Kane Cornes saying leadership groups are a load of shite. Have to agree with him for once. It’s hard to trust a process that elected Josh Jenkins last year.

I miss the days where it was C, VC, DVC. I’d go Sloane, Mrouch, Doedee.

Kane recycles that whinge every pre-season.
Exactly the same way he recycles his Mad Monday whinge every Mad Monday.

Kane recycles that whinge every pre-season.
Exactly the same way he recycles his Mad Monday whinge every Mad Monday.
I liked the part where he said when he was in it all they did was meet on a Monday to whinge.

It’s true though. It’s wanky, there’s often too many in it, and the fringes seem to change from year to year.

Just keep it simple. A captain and 1-2 deputies.

I liked the part where he said when he was in it all they did was meet on a Monday to whinge.

It’s true though. It’s wanky, there’s often too many in it, and the fringes seem to change from year to year.

Just keep it simple. A captain and 1-2 deputies.
Its a joke when its a popularity decision. When decent coaches have reasons behind their decisions like Walsh or maybe in this case Nicks, then you can see the merits.

Maybe Kornes whinged in the meetings but leaders anaylse the 'why' and more importantly the 'how' when it comes to solutions.

Kane Cornes saying leadership groups are a load of shite. Have to agree with him for once. It’s hard to trust a process that elected Josh Jenkins last year.

I miss the days where it was C, VC, DVC. I’d go Sloane, Mrouch, Doedee.
Any post that starts with Kane says should result in a week off

In the video I did think that Matthew Nicks was a bit nervous and camera conscious but I am sure that will improve with experience and hopefully some success.

My highlights were:
1. The team and coaches/staff all wanted Rory as Captain, as clearly outlined it was unanimous!
2. Taylor Walker and Daniel Talia may have been quietly asked to politely withdraw from the leadership group nomination, and they did, which was really appreciated.
3. It was made clear that the responsibility for setting high standards and maintaining them falls to everyone.
4. Very much an environment of teaching/learning and re-enforcement of ideals, by continually seeking the group to answer questions, not just talk at them, great approach and also the answers were given quickly and correctly.

I sincerely wish Rory and the leadership group every good fortune and congratulations, hope they avoid the injury curse and give their best for 2020.

Its a joke when its a popularity decision. When decent coaches have reasons behind their decisions like Walsh or maybe in this case Nicks, then you can see the merits.

Maybe Kornes whinged in the meetings but leaders anaylse the 'why' and more importantly the 'how' when it comes to solutions.
I just don’t get how it chops and changes from year to year. One year it’s a 7 man group, the next it’s 4, then 6.

Betts was in it in 2017, but not other years. Douglas was in it in 2016, out in 17-18, then came back in 2019 (when he was beyond cooked).There’s been some consistency with selections but it’s a revolving door for others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the video I did think that Matthew Nicks was a bit nervous and camera conscious but I am sure that will improve with experience and hopefully some success.

My highlights were:
1. The team and coaches/staff all wanted Rory as Captain, as clearly outlined it was unanimous!
2. Taylor Walker and Daniel Talia may have been quietly asked to politely withdraw from the leadership group nomination, and they did, which was really appreciated.
3. It was made clear that the responsibility for setting high standards and maintaining them falls to everyone.
4. Very much an environment of teaching/learning and re-enforcement of ideals, by continually seeking the group to answer questions, not just talk at them, great approach and also the answers were given quickly and correctly.

I sincerely wish Rory and the leadership group every good fortune and congratulations, hope they avoid the injury curse and give their best for 2020.
I think Tex stood down of his own doing.

I think Tex stood down of his own doing.
You are correct as for the captain/co-captain role, I was not clear, but was only referring to being in the extended/wider leadership group.

Of course both He and Daniel will still be leaders on field and set standards, even if they don't wish to be.

The reality is when there was several players capable of being captain, sloane was told whe he failed in his bid for captaincy, there is no I in team.

And the reality is sloane hasn't done anything to earn the captaincy. He's just in the right place at the right time because a better guy fell over after years of a huge burden.

If anything sloane has deteriorated as a player since he was rejected acted in 2015. The squads and club expectations after two poor seasons, not in a dismilar way much.

A very conservative appointment like the coaches. Like the response to all the s**t after the 2017 gf, except the trading of gibbs. Pity we didn't stay conservative for that, a gamble we lost.

So after listening to Nicks on Sportsday, there wasn’t a vote as such for the leadership group.

Sounds like Nicks put it together after conversations with the players individually.
It was obvious from the original AFC article!

I think it’s correct it was his call, but not a fan of how hard Nicks tried to make it sound like it was consensus. Own it.

The reality is when there was several players capable of being captain, sloane was told whe he failed in his bid for captaincy, there is no I in team.

And the reality is sloane hasn't done anything to earn the captaincy. He's just in the right place at the right time because a better guy fell over after years of a huge burden.

If anything sloane has deteriorated as a player since he was rejected acted in 2015. The squads and club expectations after two poor seasons, not in a dismilar way much.

A very conservative appointment like the coaches. Like the response to all the s**t after the 2017 gf, except the trading of gibbs. Pity we didn't stay conservative for that, a gamble we lost.

Grub

Back