Do you think if you really tried hard enough, you could make it to the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Boooooooooooo!
Were they elite runners back then too?

The OP's question could easily be reframed to "Do you think if you really tried hard enough, you could make it to the AFL as an umpire?". For many people the answer is no based on the running requirements. They're probably fitter than 98% of the population.

Back when I was a teenager, I was a boundary ump in a fairly big suburban comp (SEAFL). One pre season, a bunch of clubs got together to have an athletics comp, and for a laugh they invited the umps along.

The comp was actually close enough that a couple of teams could have passed us in the final event. Trouble was, that was the 10K run. Our selection criteria was, basically whoever felt like it (and it was at the end of a fairly hot day) so the lineup wasn't exactly our best...8 competitors per team, and the slowest umpire came 9th (and we were pretty sure the guy who came 2nd was a ring in...I came 4th, but in my defense, I was only 16 at the time).

The following year they held it again...We weren't invited.

Summary...Umpires can RUN.

I have football royalty in my veins. Seriously. Flags, hall of fame and all that, so you think I’d at least get a look in... but no... turns out that gene ended up with my sister while my claim to fame was getting a maccas voucher and a ‘most determined’ trophy (I think that they were trying to be nice to me)

I was very good at hockey though. Not sure where that came from.

No way he had 80 touches
Tom Mitchell had 64 in a NEAFL game and Mick Gibbons used to get over 50 every single week. Whether Joel did on this occasion I don't know (nobody woulda kept count and OP could be exagerating) but its plausible a junior star could get this many.

Back when I was a teenager, I was a boundary ump in a fairly big suburban comp (SEAFL). One pre season, a bunch of clubs got together to have an athletics comp, and for a laugh they invited the umps along.

The comp was actually close enough that a couple of teams could have passed us in the final event. Trouble was, that was the 10K run. Our selection criteria was, basically whoever felt like it (and it was at the end of a fairly hot day) so the lineup wasn't exactly our best...8 competitors per team, and the slowest umpire came 9th (and we were pretty sure the guy who came 2nd was a ring in...I came 4th, but in my defense, I was only 16 at the time).

The following year they held it again...We weren't invited.

Summary...Umpires can RUN.
Our local umpires train at our ground. No doubt they do a lot of fitness and running which is great but they dont spend any time learning the rules or doing match simulation. Shits me to tears.

yeah, 60 plausible.
A bloke got 64 in a NEAFL game where the other team are very good players in their own right. A junior game against spuds and just average players 80 isn't out of the realms of a possibility. Not saying its a regular occurrence but it could happen.

A bloke got 64 in a NEAFL game where the other team are very good players in their own right. A junior game against spuds and just average players 80 isn't out of the realms of a possibility. Not saying its a regular occurrence but it could happen.
Just average??

😍😍 Thanks

I have football royalty in my veins. Seriously. Flags, hall of fame and all that, so you think I’d at least get a look in... but no... turns out that gene ended up with my sister while my claim to fame was getting a maccas voucher and a ‘most determined’ trophy (I think that they were trying to be nice to me)

I was very good at hockey though. Not sure where that came from.
Ouch.

I once got a "most utility" award with my name spelt wrong on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes

dad played 90 games for essendon
into job at kpmg

east brighton vampires
oakleigh chargers
haileybury college

aps football
no drinking at parties
no schoolies
in trouble for sexist tram chant... times were tough

but

i ran laps on christmas day
asked my coach ('matthew lloyd') how to get better
never missed a session ('anytime fitness brighton')
melbourne 'we'll grab you with pick 43 if you're still available'

AND FOR WHAT?

no draft
year of overage football at TAC cup level
working in a factory
bcomm at unimelb
old man's firm

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” .

yes

dad played 90 games for essendon
into job at kpmg

east brighton vampires
oakleigh chargers
haileybury college

aps football
no drinking at parties
no schoolies
in trouble for sexist tram chant... times were tough

but

i ran laps on christmas day
asked my coach ('matthew lloyd') how to get better
never missed a session ('anytime fitness brighton')
melbourne 'we'll grab you with pick 43 if you're still available'

AND FOR WHAT?

no draft
year of overage football at TAC cup level
working in a factory
bcomm at unimelb
old man's firm

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” .
so if you are 20 years old still plenty of hope

If you tried really hard you'd probably be a better than average amateur/weekend player. Professional level you need to click on everything including a kind of natural physique.

If you tried really hard you'd probably be a better than average amateur/weekend player. Professional level you need to click on everything including a kind of natural physique.
Not so sure about that
Nothing about Greg Williams physique was remotely special but *, could he play. Very special ability he developed probably because he wanted it so bad.

No chance. Did a bit of training and got fit as a 16 yo but was off a low base. I was able to run more but it did f all for my footy ability. Same with cricket. Oddly enough was ok at tennis when I played late. No chance of me ever been a pro at any sport but that is one I seemed to adapt to and could've excelled at if I started young.

And Tom Mitchell
There heaps of them around. Total myth that only physically gifted can make it at top level
Jeremy McGovern and Max Gawn are elite for their roles. Neither are remarkable in physical aspect. Just want it enough and play the game well enough to be one of best at it. Kane Lambert another example of never give up if you want it bad enough. Gibbons will be another at my club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back