Describe the worst ******* person you ever had to work with

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I worked with a store union (SDA) rep once upon a time. Did SFA and every time someone called him up on the fact that he was a lazy campaigner who didn't do anything he'd point to any job description or company policy that he thought would support a task not being his responsibility. Would still squeal like a stuck pig every time his workload peaked and he wanted help, and would play the 'I'll call the union' card at every opportunity. I cancelled my SDA membership soon after.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I bet their attitude changes as they get older.

Anyone can not take a sick day for 5 years in their 20's.

I was the same and don't think I got any benefit from it.
I think my mum has had 1 sick day since I was born. Dad idk maybe 2 or 3. Would take a minor miracle to get a day off school as well

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I bet their attitude changes as they get older.

Anyone can not take a sick day for 5 years in their 20's.

I was the same and don't think I got any benefit from it.
Yeah, I was the same.

Wore my lack of sick days with pride, but it achieves nothing.

Sure, your workplace know you're reliable, but you still can be reliable if have the odd sick day here or there.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Attendance doesn't mean usefulness.

If you are working to an important deadline and bail late in the piece and drop other people in it because you have a bit of a sore throat that's a dick move.

If you take the odd sick day now and then when it's not really going to rock the boat then no one really cares.

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal
For a workplace here that 'prides itself on diversity' the latest project team of 8 has 7 middle aged white women and 1 young white girl. Crazy amounts of diversity!

At my company the executive managers are all middle aged white men and the diversity is maybe one in 5 is a middle aged white woman. As a white guy who will be middle aged at some point that's good news for me but I'd much rather see some actual diversity in there as there's plenty of 'that's the way we've always done it' mentality.

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
At my company the executive managers are all middle aged white men and the diversity is maybe one in 5 is a middle aged white woman. As a white guy who will be middle aged at some point that's good news for me but I'd much rather see some actual diversity in there as there's plenty of 'that's the way we've always done it' mentality.
I dont give a single sh1t about diversity. If im running a business i want the best for the job. Not a white dude, or a chinese lesbian, or a fat transgender aboriginal. Whomever can do the job best, gets the job. When did this stop being the main criteria?!

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
I dont give a single sh1t about diversity. If im running a business i want the best for the job. Not a white dude, or a chinese lesbian, or a fat transgender aboriginal. Whomever can do the job best, gets the job. When did this stop being the main criteria?!

Competency over quotas?.....Whoa there Nelly.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
But then you'll only have white me... jkj jk

ash_1050

Premiership Player
Nov 21, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory and Arsenal

Based on the current demographics of Melbourne there's a disproportionately high percentage of positions filled by white men, and to a lesser extent white women. The main criteria is the best person for the job, however if you're not making a point to try and interview a more diverse crowd or you're only advertising the role due to a requirement but you know who's going to be selected anyway as they're a mate of yours then you're going to end up with a very monoculture team.

Mar 5, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
I used to think not taking sick days was a good thing, but you honestly get nothing for it.

Sometimes you just need a day. I have a relationship with my manager now where if I am that run down and I need a day I will tell her the day before that I won't be in.

I do the exact same. Never call up the morning and say i'm not coming in. If i'm feeling unwell i normally let him know that night so he can organize the next day.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
white women are amazing at being the most common demographic in Australia yet feeing like the biggest victims

White women in general are the biggest pick and choose demographic there is. Everything they do have is a result of hard work and merit, everything they don't is a result of someone else's privilege. #generalisation

Just quietly I reckon if you are a young white woman in Perth who grew up in a nice area, went to a top private school, got a degree from UWA etc. then you've been dealt a pretty reasonable hand in life. Doesn't stop them bleating about "patriarchy".

Diversity is great. If you remember why it is great. Which is diversity of ideas.

It's long been hijacked, though. Now if you aren't 50/50 men and women in every field at every level you aren't diverse. Righto.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
But then you'll only have white men...who can't jump....They ain't got no rhythm, they aint got no soul.
o_OEFA

Note: Stereotypes subject to prejudice of choice.

It's long been hijacked, though. Now if you aren't 50/50 men and women in every field at every level you aren't diverse. Righto.

I demand equal rights & quotas in midwifery..…Time to roll up your sleeves & get your hands dirty fellas....No fainting now.

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
United Airlines just announced that 50% of all new pilots hired must be women or PoC. Demographic of commercial flight schools seems to be (and correct me if I'm wrong) mainly Chinese and Indian males.

Good luck mateys. Bad PR to have planes full of people going nowhere because a pilot calls in sick and there is nobody to replace them.

... quickly googled, here's a good article, and surprisingly I'm not wide of the mark:

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
United Airlines just announced that 50% of all new pilots hired must be women or PoC. Demographic of commercial flight schools seems to be (and correct me if I'm wrong) mainly Chinese and Indian males.

Good luck mateys. Bad PR to have planes full of people going nowhere because a pilot calls in sick and there is nobody to replace them.

... quickly googled, here's a good article, and surprisingly I'm not wide of the mark:

I always found it interesting when quotas for engineering roles are discussed. When I went to uni, there was probably 10-15% females (probably hasn't changed too much either), so good luck filling a 30% requirement or something similar.

Apr 3, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney

what a great policy united.

because everybody knows that true diversity come from people who look different

Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
"I see you want to be a pilot. What are your qualifications?"
"I'm a woman and I speak Jive."
"Welcome aboard!"

2c782dfd-88e8-4e6b-a1eb-ce0907ada7af_text.gif