News Giants want to play in LA

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not a fan of these things. The cost is rarely worth the return. AFL isnt cracking into the US sports market lol. Youd be better off trying to crack into Asia if anything, or even NZ.
They cant even get a foothold in NSW or Qld.

Maybe try a bit harder there before they fly off to another country who dont give a s**t about the game and never will.

Absolutely zero chance our game will ever expand overseas. Zero. An absolute pipe dream.

This story has come a long way in six months from when the Giants were given the green light to think about maybe investigating the possibility of playing a match for points in the US...

Any venue other than the one in Florida being talked about means this is doomed from the outset, I think. But ventures like this only happen if you find somebody overseas willing to pay for it, and I won't begrudge GWS if they succeed in that endeavour.

Maybe try a bit harder there before they fly off to another country who dont give a s**t about the game and never will.

Absolutely zero chance our game will ever expand overseas. Zero. An absolute pipe dream.
Our game has already expanded globally and continues to do so. You're not a genius for figuring out it'll never be the most popular sport in America or Sydney, doesn't mean there aren't valuable opportunities to explore in both markets.

The flight home would be excruciating if you lost...
Players don't give two *s about losing these days. they're back out swanning around on the piss after a shameful defeat. and if you believe they should be sheepishly hanging their heads because they just got paid about 12 grand for it, you're some sort of a-hole.

Are you aware how long "ever" is...?

What will the sporting landscape be like in 500 years?

Last edited:
I agree with the previous posts, surely India would be the #1 target? Just pay Virat Kohli 50 million to promote it in India and it's over.

Im not a fan of these things. The cost is rarely worth the return. AFL isnt cracking into the US sports market lol. Youd be better off trying to crack into Asia if anything, or even NZ.

Definitely Auckland if the AFL have any far flung plans to have a side based in a city of 1.5 million, 4 hours from the eastern seaboard

Still, a game in LA would still be a fun day out amongst expats

I agree with the previous posts, surely India would be the #1 target? Just pay Virat Kohli 50 million to promote it in India and it's over.
I posted this a month or so ago on the Hawks board:

Good idea, but any game in India is going to be difficult to schedule due to weather. April and May will be oppressively hot, followed by the monsoon in June/July/August.

Also, the IPL is on during March/April, so decent cricket grounds would be off limits.

I posted this a month or so ago on the Hawks board:

Good idea, but any game in India is going to be difficult to schedule due to weather. April and May will be oppressively hot, followed by the monsoon in June/July/August.

Also, the IPL is on during March/April, so decent cricket grounds would be off limits.

I'm sure they can find a cooler city and play at night. India is a big place

Why LA though? Why not in New York or even in one of the southern states like Texas? LA is not a bad option if we were to do this, but apart from its potential social media pulling power, I don’t think it is the best option. Happy for my mind to be changed on this though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should've been done years ago. Give it a go ffs even if the us is filled with four major sports and college. Try it.
AFL will never make it overseas now. No fights, no big hits left and barely any speckys. They have non stop sport over here in North America and they aren't gonna switch it over to a sport devoid of personality, rivalry or aggression

LA makes straight up zero sense. I know its a massive market, but outside basketball the sports fanbase is extremely fairweather. Just look at the LA Chargers games, there's no LA fans to be seen.

If the AFL wants to have a crack at an overseas market, they should be looking at London, Toronto or Vancouver, places with big expat communities.

If you are looking at the US, its gotta be New York, but the main issue with that would be finding a venue.

The Giants shouldn't even be playing here in Canberra. They need to show they are committed to western Sydney if they are to gain the following they conceivably can. The more home games they don't play in their home, the longer it will take.

As for LA, good luck spending enough money in that market to have anyone recognise the existence of some obscure game from half way around the world. A few hundred players from the California league might turn up, a thousand or so ex-pats, a few sponsor invitees, some Consulte staff and no doubt the foreign minister on a junket. Other than that, actual paying Americans, no.
That is, assuming a venue and an oipponent can be found.

Collingwood are the most recognized club over there followed by Geelong and St Kilda

The sport isn't even recognised. Most think it's rugby when they see it. No one gives a s**t.

Avoid the suburban stuff and go with relatable names I reckon. The Magpies vs The Cats is just terrible.

GWSydney and West Coast sounds good to me. Giants vs Eagles. East vs West. Very relatable to the US market.

I would love to see this happen.

Like with Port in China, it would count as a Richmond home game. The AFL's always looking for any opportunity to give even more unsporting advantages to interstate franchises than they already get.

That’s cos it is st kildas home game.

This would be a GWS home game

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back