Edited: No player currently 30 or younger has won a major

Who will be the next 20-something to win a major title?

• Dominic Thiem

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Daniil Medvedev

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Alexander Zverev

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stefanos Tsitsipas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The thread title does not state winning a slam as the only way to have achieved something in the sport.
The thread title doesn't state... give me a spell.

The thread was created when no player under 27 had even won a Masters title. That has changed. The anomaly that persists, however, is that no player currently aged 30 or younger has won a major. That's what we're talking about. For you to say "well making a final is a thing" is neither here nor there.

The thread title doesn't state... give me a spell.

The thread was created when no player under 27 had even won a Masters title. That has changed. The anomaly that persists, however, is that no player currently aged 30 or younger has won a major. That's what we're talking about. For you to say "well making a final is a thing" is neither here nor there.
As I said, thiem is the only player 30 or under to have made 3 slam finals. It clearly is "a thing."

What's the debate?

I'm simply stating a fact and your response is unrelated to that fact.

I've edited the thread title to reflect that the previous one no longer applies.
"no player under 27 has achieved anything"

That was the thread title. My point argued that statement and firm in my belief of what thiem has achieved. Happy to agree to disagree though.

"no player under 27 has achieved anything"

That was the thread title.
And it was true at the time but young players have since won Masters titles. Read the OP. Zverev has won three.

The anomaly now is that no one 30 or younger has won a major.

I'm not sure what your argument is with that purely empirical statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there an option for selecting a current player once they turn 30?
No. Because that won't end the anomaly. They have to be in their 20s when they win.

Here's a semi-interesting stat: in history, there have been 13 Grand Slam titles won by players aged 32 or older. Of those, 7 have been won since the start of 2017.

Think about that. In tennis history until just over 3 years ago, there had been only 6 majors won by guys aged 32 or older. Ken Rosewall had 4 of them in the 60s and 70s. Andres Gimeno, who I've never heard of, won the 1972 French at 34 and Andre Agassi won his last Australian Open at 32 in 2003. Not many over the course of 40-odd years. But in the 3+ years since, there's been 7. And the 6 other majors won in that time frame were by guys 30/31.

The Big 3 have shared 13 slams in a row. They did 18 between 2005-09 but they're basically just as dominant 10 years later despite all being well over 30.

Last edited:
Another tournament, another example of a younger player getting through one member of the big 3 but falling to the next one.

They are close to indestructible.

Make that 13 slams in a row.

Big "what if" about Kyrgios. I wish we got to see him v Fed.

on the female side, Vesnina+Kuznetsova are 30 and 35. so no joy there.

Still, French Kiki and Pliskova are both early/mid 20's and made the semis. You think Pliskova(1992) is closest to punching through the for the 1990's brigade(outside Muguruza(1993) and Kvitova(who was born in 1990)) this coming year.
I am still waiting, Pliskova.

Crazy how much has changed in 2 years in the WTA. No Serena has opened it up to even younger players. Ostapenko, Osaka, Barty, Kenin.

Or we could have a winner from the 2000's in Andreescu

Another tournament, another example of a younger player getting through one member of the big 3 but falling to the next one.

I don't think even many of the big 3 have won a slam by beating the other 2. I think only Novak has done it.

I don't think even many of the big 3 have won a slam by beating the other 2. I think only Novak has done it.
Wawrinka beat 2 of them en route to winning a major. He did it twice.

Is that too high a bar for all the guys in their 20s trying to win a major? Wawrinka did it twice but it's still impossible for everyone else?

Last edited:
Nadal did it 3 years in a row at the French (many moons ago).

But I mean that is the point, it’s a huge task to penetrate through all of them.

Back