Play Nice 2020 Non AFL Admin, Crowds, Ratings, Participation etc thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Since CA have abandoned the tradition of having the Aussie cricket team play on Aus day then I think the BBL should make it their own and have the final schedualed on Aus day each year.
This year, they tried to make it a super Aussie Day weekend. I know it didn't really work down here(lowest crowd in Hobart for the year), but we had an early Friday game.

I think they should zero into that as well. Though it is a very crowded calendar that day already(Cycling Aus Open)

Looked a fairly ordinary BBL crowd at the Adelaide Oval last night.

Looked a lot better than the MCG the previous night. But you're right, it was pretty s**t.

They really shouldn't have ****ed around with the finals series. At least kept the final 4 anyway, even if they gave teams 1 & 2 the double chance. Giving each final a stupid gimmicky name just made it worse.

You can't expect the public to take it seriously when CA don't even take it seriously.

Pretty good weather for the first 10 days or so. Only the first Monday and perhaps Wednesday was a shocker. The last couple of days were hot but by then, most of the action had moved indoors. Of course, tennis is not the only thing in Melbourne Park. An early Aussie Day/long weekend would have helped attendances as well.

Last edited:

Pretty good weather for the first 10 days or so. Only the first Monday and perhaps Wednesday was a shocker. The last couple of days were hot but by then, most of the action had moved indoors. Of course, tennis is not the only thing in Melbourne Park. An early Aussie Day/long weekend would have helped attendances as well.

Think they just said that is a record for any Grand Slam tournament.

That result should quell the voices that say the tournament should be moved to an Asian city for a while.

High crowds haven't stopped those voices in the past. It will be a constant battle.

A-League Round 17:

Syd v Bris -10,724
New v WUD - 5,458
Adl v MVC - 7,068
Per v MCY - 9,435
CCM v WSW - 5,053

There is an overwhelming sense of ennui about this season but there are still an astonishing 12 rounds left until the finals.

The overall average is just 9,851, the third lowest ever.

The season averages for almost every team are amongst their worst:

Adelaide - 8,768 (15th out of 15 seasons)
Brisbane - 10,540 (11th out of 15)
Central Coast -5,736 (14th out of 15)
Melb City - 8,205 (9th out of 10)
Melb Victory - 18,017 (12th out of 15)
Newcastle - 7,883 (14th out of 15)
Perth - 8,583 (10th out of 15)
Sydney - 12,312 (13th out of 15)
Wellington - 8,084 (7th out of 13)
Wanderers - 14,293 (2nd out of 8)
Western United - 6,176 (only season)

Only Western Sydney in their shiny new stadium are bucking the trend, although I doubt that the crowds in Parramatta (after a solid first couple of games) are what were hoped for either.

Does anyone know if those that attend the 'Live Stage' at the tennis are counted in the attendance? Either way the AO organisers have hit an absolute winner. People in Melbourne have loved, and continue to love, attending big sporting events, and the actual tennis itself has many great drawcards for Aussie sports fans - Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Kyrgios, Barty et al. The invigoration of the entertainment precinct in recent years, though, has been a massive revelation, as young Melbournians love music festivals and the AO have tapped into this with the Live Stage concerts. This year the artists have included Billy Idol, Fat Boy Slim, Hayden James and Ziggy Alberts just to name a few and basically every night seems to be packed. This years Open really has been a massive success.

1. Triple M Grill Team 27.2.19

Mark Geyer wants the NRL to expand to 20 teams in the future, with Perth, Brisbane, Adelaide, NZ. Matty Johns, however, agrees with his brother A. Johns, P. Gallen, B. Fittler, W. Bennett, Warrior's coach M. Maguire, P. Gould & some other NRL experts: NO expansion beyond 16 teams in the near future, not enough elite RL talent- average skill level will fall too much, & harm the NRL's appeal.

M.Johns wants a 2nd Brisbane team (doesn't say when, & how it can be achieved).

M. Johns said
"...because we haven't got the depth...we haven't enough quality players (for more than 16 teams- my words)...I'm not sure about Perth...over 20 years, we can't afford to lose that much money with Perth (he thinks NRL will need to prop up financially a Perth team for 20 years- my words)...another Brissie side is a must...".

(From 1 second to 2 minutes 45 secs.)

Some other NRL experts believe the NRL can expand soon to more than 16 teams.

2. WWOS 22.8.19

Phil Gould has suggested "...that expansion is off the table...where the standard of many sides has deteriorated (average skills in the NRL- my words)...".

The ARLC will face a challenging decision soon, following its Review (still not completed), whether it should expand beyond 16 teams.

Channel 9 Executives eg T. Malone, also believe there is insufficent talent to expand beyond 16 teams- but wants a Sydney NRL team to relocate to Brisbane; or 2 Sydney teams to merge- as a second Brisbane team will be a big ratings' success.

EDIT:

3. SMH A. Webster 2.1.20

Webster sets out the main issues the NRL will be considering in 2020.
On expansion, Webster believes no decision will be made by the ARLC in 2020- but there will again be be constant discussions behind closed doors.

4. The 2019 NRL fan survey had 28,090 fans vote on the question "Should The Number Of Teams Change"?
. Add A New team In A New Location- 44%
. Keep It The Way It Is- 30%
. Relocate Existing Teams- 23%
. Decrease The Number Of Teams- 3%

. 28,172 fans voted on "Where Should The Next Expansion Team Be Based?"
Perth 31%, Brisbane 10%, Central Coast 21%, Wellington 6%, Ipswich/Logan 6%

IMO, the very low vote of 10% in favour in adding a 2nd team in Brisbane is surprisingly low- Brisbane has a pop. of c. 2.4m.
Will there be a fan backlash against the NRL if it adds Brisbane 2, & how will fans show their displeasure; & what would be the consequences for the NRL?

Sounds like Triple M wanted attention and you gave it to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year, they tried to make it a super Aussie Day weekend. I know it didn't really work down here(lowest crowd in Hobart for the year), but we had an early Friday game.

I think they should zero into that as well. Though it is a very crowded calendar that day already(Cycling Aus Open)

Personally, my interest in cricket for the summer was killed with no ODI's, and Barty/Kyrgios doing well.
Does anyone know if those that attend the 'Live Stage' at the tennis are counted in the attendance? Either way the AO organisers have hit an absolute winner. People in Melbourne have loved, and continue to love, attending big sporting events, and the actual tennis itself has many great drawcards for Aussie sports fans - Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, Kyrgios, Barty et al. The invigoration of the entertainment precinct in recent years, though, has been a massive revelation, as young Melbournians love music festivals and the AO have tapped into this with the Live Stage concerts. This year the artists have included Billy Idol, Fat Boy Slim, Hayden James and Ziggy Alberts just to name a few and basically every night seems to be packed. This years Open really has been a massive success.
They have to pay to enter, so Yes they should count.

Why we need the developing States to grow the player pool, i.e its shallow.

Nah

It shows that the AFL went very close to getting two of the best handful of under 23 players in the NRL while still getting the likes of Heeney, Mills, Harris Andrews, Eric Hipwood in the same period

Nah

It shows that the AFL went very close to getting two of the best handful of under 23 players in the NRL while still getting the likes of Heeney, Mills, Harris Andrews, Eric Hipwood in the same period

We need both States growing to be self sufficent in terms of the numbers in the pool & its going well.

Re: A-League's ratings decline on Foxtel, I've mentioned this before on this thread but it bears repeating. It's never really recovered from when Fox got the cricket rights as its totally devoted its advertising and promotion in summer based around cricket; understandably considering how well it rates compared to the best of A-League.

It was struggling a bit already, but being treated as a an afterthought by Fox since the cricket arrived when it used to be it's main summer sport product has really hurt it imo. They'd probably be better off trying to join up with Optus' streaming EPL coverage mixed with FTA coverage once this current deal ends if they can get decent money.

Re: A-League's ratings decline on Foxtel, I've mentioned this before on this thread but it bears repeating. It's never really recovered from when Fox got the cricket rights as its totally devoted its advertising and promotion in summer based around cricket; understandably considering how well it rates compared to the best of A-League.

It was struggling a bit already, but being treated as a an afterthought by Fox since the cricket arrived when it used to be it's main summer sport product has really hurt it imo. They'd probably be better off trying to join up with Optus' streaming EPL coverage mixed with FTA coverage once this current deal ends if they can get decent money.

Going to Optus would condemn it to obscurity forever. I reckon the EPL has really declined in general interest since they did that, even though it got them more dollars. The hardcore fans would have followed them over and subscribed, but anyone else would have lost contact. The only upside for the A-League going to Optus is that it might connect with a few EPL fans, but I doubt it. Never mind the problem of who's going to produce the coverage given Optus currently doesn't have that capability.
That's not to say they shouldn't go to Optus, but it would require a pretty big change in mentality - basically they'd need to admit that they're a niche league. No more bullshit about taking over the country with grandiose claims about future potential.

That's not to say they shouldn't go to Optus, but it would require a pretty big change in mentality - basically they'd need to admit that they're a niche league. No more bullshit about taking over the country with grandiose claims about future potential.

Yep, I think that's right, whereas at one point the A-League looked like emerging as a major player, once it's hidden away on Optus (or worse), that would be the final straw condemning them to bit player.

It’s going to be extremely interesting. If fox offer say $20mil and Optus $30mil then the fox deal could still work out better for them when you take into consideration sponsorship, corporate support and potential growth. I don’t think it will be as simple as who pays the most.
There is still a few years to turn things around so hopefully they are in a better position when it comes time to negotiate.

It’s going to be extremely interesting. If fox offer say $20mil and Optus $30mil then the fox deal could still work out better for them when you take into consideration sponsorship, corporate support and potential growth. I don’t think it will be as simple as who pays the most.
There is still a few years to turn things around so hopefully they are in a better position when it comes time to negotiate.

I don't think there's any come back from bobbling around at 15k ratings.
They are extraordinarily low numbers, so low that even a quadrupling leaves them still as low numbers.

I don't think there's any come back from bobbling around at 15k ratings.
They are extraordinarily low numbers, so low that even a quadrupling leaves them still as low numbers.
It is very hard to imagine how they can turn it around from here. The biggest problem is the obvious snowballing effect which happens that it will hit their sponsor/corporate dollars

Hyundai, the biggest sponsor, will be finishing its $6m pa sponsorship of the A League-will not renew at a lower rate. A League hopes it may agree to a 1year extension. It is joining the long list of other major sponsors to quit.

Bring Back Frank!

Daily Telegraph's P. Rothfield has today predicted that Bet 365 will also soon quit; & that "soccer is in big trouble in this country".

EDIT:

. RL is having strong international growth, with Toronto to play in the English Super League with Sonny Bill Williams- & plans to enter Ottawa & New York in the Super League.

. Despite the heat, Sydney RU 7's comp. at Bankwest was a great success (despite Aust. team losses).
It had big crowds, many in "very colourful dress" (or undressed/nudity- see photos.)

google "Getty Images Sydney Sevens crowd 2020" for c.157 photos of the crowd
(Getty will not allow me to directly link it here)

. Also many good photos here- check out biceps on some of the Kenyan players, on tweet dated 30.1.20

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back