AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The girls had their final hit out of the preseason today and now move into the season proper with the first game against Melbourne at Casey Fields this Saturday.

Today’s practice included an unveiling of a plaque to acknowledge all foundation members. It involved some drills followed by some match simulation and an address from the coaches and some players.

The only slight concern coming from the day were Emma Humphries who seemed to hurt an ankle but went back on later I’m pretty sure and Abby Green who hurt her knee. She has had some knee issues in the past and probably just jarred it but is a bit careful due to her history. Fingers crossed she is good to go as it frees up Emma King to play forward.

Jas Grierson and Brit Gibson both played all of the match sim and are good to go.

Tahni Nestor spoke about her journey to the top level and her struggles with injury. She isfit and firing now and thrilled to have an opportunity. She seems to be the first in line to fill the role left open with Jess Duffin’s absence.

In good news for us our sponsored player Aileen Gilroy is in line to play in round one. Everyone is very impressed by her skill level and intensity at the contest.

The coaches seem to have taken note of the area’s of the game where we fell short last year and addressed the issues, namely getting out bodied by bigger more aggressive midfielders and stopping the momentum when teams get a run on.

The club is really doing well with the girls teams. I encourage everyone to jump on board and attend the games if you can. I know they appreciate all the support.
70545485-0AB8-4715-A0B5-0E144795829F.jpeg
253192CE-6DA2-4914-A0F1-4CE8C895A798.jpeg
A9692278-5F18-45E2-B90E-4353E364C7B2.jpeg
37F8AC01-CA47-474B-BBCE-6199EF684550.jpeg
EF5333A6-5BB7-42F7-B4CE-EF25B1788630.jpeg
11AFF2D4-63BB-49C4-9AE8-8E6CCB229BF7.jpeg
D2739D48-35F2-4F4A-AD38-56A12F4A23F9.jpeg
65877A48-2A51-414F-861A-F0E6E356C9E7.jpeg

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The girls had their final hit out of the preseason today and now move into the season proper with the first game against Melbourne at Casey Fields this Saturday.

Today’s practice included an unveiling of a plaque to acknowledge all foundation members. It involved some drills followed by some match simulation and an address from the coaches and some players.

The only slight concern coming from the day were Emma Humphries who seemed to hurt an ankle but went back on later I’m pretty sure and Abby Green who hurt her knee. She has had some knee issues in the past and probably just jarred it but is a bit careful due to her history. Fingers crossed she is good to go as it frees up Emma King to play forward.

Jas Grierson and Brit Gibson both played all of the match sim and are good to go.

Tahni Nestor spoke about her journey to the top level and her struggles with injury. She isfit and firing now and thrilled to have an opportunity. She seems to be the first in line to fill the role left open with Jess Duffin’s absence.

In good news for us our sponsored player Aileen Gilroy is in line to play in round one. Everyone is very impressed by her skill level and intensity at the contest.

The coaches seem to have taken note of the area’s of the game where we fell short last year and addressed the issues, namely getting out bodied by bigger more aggressive midfielders and stopping the momentum when teams get a run on.

The club is really doing well with the girls teams. I encourage everyone to jump on board and attend the games if you can. I know they appreciate all the support.View attachment 814564View attachment 814565View attachment 814566View attachment 814567View attachment 814568View attachment 814569View attachment 814570View attachment 814571
What! Kyron's training with the girls? Or maybe site seeing?

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Site seeing I reckon. Actually he seemed to be running through a pretty relaxed program with Jona Segal. He was doing a lot of stretching kind of stuff and running but not at full pace.
Rehab, in a training top that one of boys reckons it looks like a rainbow paddle pop.🤣

While I'm nowhere near as invested in the ladies team at this point I am fascinated to see in particular how their physical capabilities and conditioning changes over the first 5-10 years of the league. I think it will be very interesting to see how much change is made to the average player as they move more towards full time professionals.

Last edited:
While I'm nowhere near as invested in the ladies team at this point I am fascinated to see how in particular how their physical capabilities and conditioning changes over the first 5-10 years of the league. I think it will be very interesting to see how much change is made to the average player as they move more towards full time professionals.
I think it’s noticeable how some of the girls are significantly better athletes. I think it’s Kashy’s greatest asset, she is fit and quick. I’m pretty sure she grew up doing athletics.

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
While I'm nowhere near as invested in the ladies team at this point I am fascinated to see in particular how their physical capabilities and conditioning changes over the first 5-10 years of the league. I think it will be very interesting to see how much change is made to the average player as they move more towards full time professionals.
Totally agree, the development of the game will be interesting

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

The North Melbourne-Spirit of Tas team that rolled out in round 1 last year (v Carlton?) was a hell of a lot more progressed skill wise than I expected.

The early AFLW games were very scrappy affairs. Our first hitout in anger had end to end ball movement etc of a much higher grade.

Have said before that if the game is allowed to evolve without too much interference from Nicole, Gill et al (unlikely) it would be interesting to see if it takes on a different form and favours different players to the men's game.

It's not like women's tennis is dominated by only the athletes with the highest power and serves in the game.

The North Melbourne-Spirit of Tas team that rolled out in round 1 last year (v Carlton?) was a hell of a lot more progressed skill wise than I expected.

The early AFLW games were very scrappy affairs. Our first hitout in anger had end to end ball movement etc of a much higher grade.

Have said before that if the game is allowed to evolve without too much interference from Nicole, Gill et al (unlikely) it would be interesting to see if it takes on a different form and favours different players to the men's game.

It's not like women's tennis is dominated by only the athletes with the highest power and serves in the game.
One of the drills at training was a transition drill from one end of the ground to the other, 3 kicks and a shot on goal. I think potentially they will be really good this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A crack at the team

B: Bresnehan Randall Mesiti
HB: Gibson Hardiman Gilroy
C: Ashmore Bruton Gavalas
HF: El King Garner Bateman
F: Bannister KGJ Abbatangelo
R: Em King Riddell Kearney
I: Green Lynch Mia King and Trend

emg: Saad, Haines, Seoighe, Nestor

inj Grierson
Are they playing with fewer numbers on the ground again? I think it might be 16 on the field but an extended bench.

May as well just re-post my preview from the main board:

Melbourne v Nth Melb.
The Dees are without Mithen (played her best match in the corresponding 2019 fixture) and Lauren Pearce (overrated as most rucks are, but they don’t have an easy replacement) for a month. The Roos are without Duffin (appropriately rated, but there are a few players who should be ready to collectively cover for her) all season. These are feasible reasons for both teams to miss out on reaching that one day in April, albeit not as substantial as what other clubs are dealing with. Paxman and Kearney, the Allways Australians cut from the same cloth, will likely go head-to-head again. This time around should see the addition of two stars, one who goes way back and one from the future, at war: Daisy v Riddell. North, after getting raided by the pesky expansion teams (grrr curse them!), don’t have a perfect match-up for the bigger bodied O’Dea (maybe worth trying Gibson in the centre square, Ashmore around the ground) and it could be the decisive factor. Tip: Melb by 6 points

---

but we'll smash em in the grand final

More than half the captains have predicted North Melbourne will make the Grand Final, and Emma Kearney is tipped to win the league's Best & Fairest.

Interesting that nobody picked a NMFC player to finish leading goalkicker, obviously means we have three or four options up front that will contribute.

Captains Make The Call

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
More than half the captains have predicted North Melbourne will make the Grand Final, and Emma Kearney is tipped to win the league's Best & Fairest.

Interesting that nobody picked a NMFC player to finish leading goalkicker, obviously it means we have three or four options up front that will contribute.

Captains Make The Call

I enjoyed that nobody rates our youth.

I enjoyed that nobody rates our youth.
Is that really a surprise?

Actually I don't think we have too many in our Women's team that would qualify, most are either experienced players (relatively speaking) or over age recruits.

In the 30 top AFLW players Jenna Bruton hasn’t made the list with only two more players to reveal. I’ll hazard a guess and say Erin Phillips and Emma Kearney are the top 2 but how does Bruton not break the top 30? Garner, King, Duffin are all in there and I reckon she is better than at least two of those and since Duffin isn’t playing at all this season it’s a bit silly to include her I think.

In the 30 top AFLW players Jenna Bruton hasn’t made the list with only two more players to reveal. I’ll hazard a guess and say Erin Phillips and Emma Kearney are the top 2 but how does Bruton not break the top 30? Garner, King, Duffin are all in there and I reckon she is better than at least two of those and since Duffin isn’t playing at all this season it’s a bit silly to include her I think.
Criminally underrated. I predict Ash Riddell will be in there too after this year.

I was a little surprised myself, she was the second North player I thought would make the list after Kearney, who I suspect will be number 2.

I doubt she cares, but I hope the thought that some in the industry don't rate her is a bit of a spur for her perform this season. A BoG in GF would be a nice kick in the teeth for Sarah Black and her ignorance. :)

I was a little surprised myself, she was the second North player I thought would make the list after Kearney, who I suspect will be number 2.

I doubt she cares, but I hope the thought that some in the industry don't rate her is a bit of a spur for her perform this season. A BoG in GF would be a nice kick in the teeth for Sarah Black and her ignorance. :)
I kept getting the feeling Sarah Black had an axe to grind against us. I thought it was the ‘pissed at the recruiting’ thing everyone carried on about. Does anyone know her story?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back