FTA-TV Top 10 Sci Fi Shows of All Time

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
Red dwarf
Sliders. Have avoided so far watching the seasons that degenerated into the ongoing war storyline.
Cowboy bebop
Neon genesis evangelion
Lexx. Only watched the first 4 episode season and somehow not the rest
Farscape

Last edited:
Journeyman was a victim of the writer’s strike. Was on the borderline in terms of ratings and when the strike dragged on, they guessed there’d be even less of an audience to remember.

Very much a remake of Quantum Leap, on of all my all time faves which may be in line for a reboot.

Disagree, that style of show really doesn't land these days.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
If they remade Quantum Leap (or anything that's dated/out of style) it'd probably be an action series with a season long story. So many things including non-scifi are just brand recognition.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
TV series deliberately made to look like an older show is something we haven't seen much! The movie The Lighthouse did that.

TV series deliberately made to look like an older show is something we haven't seen much! The movie The Lighthouse did that.

Would have a niche audience.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Wasn't thinking they would remake Quantum Leap in the same way, with cheesy happy endings. The concept is good enough they could easily do season long arcs.
Yep, was the cheesiness of the original that made it virtually unwatchable for me. But the concept of Quantum Leap for sci-fi show is great if more like a sci-fi show than cheesy social moral of story each episode thing....

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Would like to get through The Twilight Zone (1959-1964 episodes anyway). Problem is because it's so old and the stories have been aped since you can work out what the endings are or at least the "people/our minds are the real enemy" gist.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Episode 8 of The Return does it very well in black and white. Gives feel of 1950's horror movie.
Seen add for Lighthouse. Want to see. Willem Dafoe can be a convincing crazy campaigner so if that is his role in it,
will watch...

I might check out the whole series of Twilight Zone from 1950's or 60's.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Is Outer Limits like Twilight Zone?
Maybe I seen some of it when little kid and get confused which is which.

Believe The Outer Limits is more focused on aliens, monsters and/or horror whereas The Twilight Zone does those but not as much or exclusively.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No, don’t know it?

like you i love time travel stories and it's one of the best. was shot for only $6Kish USD but don't let that fool you, it's big on concept and really digs deep into TT paradoxes. feels legit hard scifi because the writer/producer/actor leveraged his degree in mathematics. it's one of those films you can watch over and over yet still be confused by.

Red dwarf
Sliders. Have avoided so far watching the seasons that degenerated into the ongoing war storyline.
Cowboy bebop
Neon genesis evangelion
Lexx. Only watched the first 4 episode season and somehow not the rest
Farscape
Sliders was one I would like to re-watch. Used to see odd episodes here and there, and then the actors changed I think, or characters changed. Did enjoy the concept though.

I also grew up loving the original Battlestar and Buck Rogers,a although they had a lot to do with Wilma Deering methinks.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sliders is another show that could benefit from a reboot. I remember being really intrigued by the idea, but the execution left a lot to be desired.
It was good, but should have wrapped up way way sooner. Really should have had one season travelling randomly and a second saving all worlds from the Cromags and at the end getting back to their home.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sliders is another show that could benefit from a reboot.

vader-nooooo.jpg

Back