Scotty McLaughlin 2020 going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
After the Indy Car test, what does the future hold at Team Penske?

Plenty of opportunities internationally, check the driving spots in 2020

With Roger having bought out the ownership of Indycars*, will he be keen to ramp up the series, providing an opportunity for wildcard drives, hello Scotty !!

*Penske Entertainment Corp, a subsidiary of Penske Corporation, will acquire all Hulman & Company principal operating assets. This includes the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the NTT IndyCar Series and IMS Productions. This acquisition by the Penske organisation will carry the future of the Speedway and the IndyCar Series forward for the next generation of racing fans.

He's been conditioned to really heavy, powerful cars for a very long time. That's not the right background for even more powerful single, and agile seaters. All the successful drivers in F1/single seaters, did not have a background on heavy and powerful sedans/GTs.

It's like with superbikes/MotoGP. Guys going from MotoGP to superbikes succeed. It doesn't happen the other way around.

He's been conditioned to really heavy, powerful cars for a very long time. That's not the right background for even more powerful single, and agile seaters. All the successful drivers in F1/single seaters, did not have a background on heavy and powerful sedans/GTs.

It's like with superbikes/MotoGP. Guys going from MotoGP to superbikes succeed. It doesn't happen the other way around.

Lots of Superbike riders have succeeded in GPs.

Lots of superbikes riders have succeeded in GP?

We're talking meaningful superbike records. Not just guys who had a few goes at it like Doohan.

Scott Russell - WSBK champ. Didn't generate the same success in GP.
Troy Corser - WSBK champ and thought he was up to it in GP. Got put off after one season. Nit up to it.
Colin Edwards - Double WSBK champ. Didn't win a GP despite riding for a line time with good teams.
Troy Bayliss - WSBK champ. Didn't generate the same success in GP. Went back to winning more WSBK titles.
James Toseland - WSBK champ. Didn't generate the same success in GP.
Ben Spies - AMA and WSBK champ. Didn't generate the same success in GP.

Then we look at rider going the other way.

Raymond Roche - No GP wins despite riding forever. Wins a WSBK in his second year.
John Kocinski - Good in GP over 4 seasons. Producing better results in WSBK, including winning the series.
Neil Hodgson - Hopless, but is a WSBK champ.
Max Biaggi - Didn't win a GP title. But wins 2 WSBK despite being past his peak.
Carlos Checa - The crash merchant never finsiehd in the top 3 despite riding for a long time with good teams/bikes.. Yet won a WSBK title.
Sylvain Guintoli - Unremarkable GP record. Goes on to win the WSBK.
Regis Laconi - 1 GP. Challenged to the WSBK title.
Ruben Xaus - 2nd in the WSBK. 1 podium in GP.
Carl Fogarty - 1 good race in GP. 4 WSBK titles.
Pierfrancesco Chili -1 freebie 500GP win. 17 WSBK wins.

Match that with prominent superbike riders that generated similar success in GP?

In car racing. Name one driver with a substantial touring car background (Even sportscars/GT) that went on to significant F1/Indycar success?

Lots of superbikes riders have succeeded in GP?

We're talking meaningful superbike records. Not just guys who had a few goes at it like Doohan.

Scott Russell - WSBK champ. Didn't generate the same success in GP.
Troy Corser - WSBK champ and thought he was up to it in GP. Got put off after one season. Nit up to it.
Colin Edwards - Double WSBK champ. Didn't win a GP despite riding for a line time with good teams.
Troy Bayliss - WSBK champ. Didn't generate the same success in GP. Went back to winning more WSBK titles.
James Toseland - WSBK champ. Didn't generate the same success in GP.
Ben Spies - AMA and WSBK champ. Didn't generate the same success in GP.

Then we look at rider going the other way.

Raymond Roche - No GP wins despite riding forever. Wins a WSBK in his second year.
John Kocinski - Good in GP over 4 seasons. Producing better results in WSBK, including winning the series.
Neil Hodgson - Hopless, but is a WSBK champ.
Max Biaggi - Didn't win a GP title. But wins 2 WSBK despite being past his peak.
Carlos Checa - The crash merchant never finsiehd in the top 3 despite riding for a long time with good teams/bikes.. Yet won a WSBK title.
Sylvain Guintoli - Unremarkable GP record. Goes on to win the WSBK.
Regis Laconi - 1 GP. Challenged to the WSBK title.
Ruben Xaus - 2nd in the WSBK. 1 podium in GP.
Carl Fogarty - 1 good race in GP. 4 WSBK titles.
Pierfrancesco Chili -1 freebie 500GP win. 17 WSBK wins.

Match that with prominent superbike riders that generated similar success in GP?

In car racing. Name one driver with a substantial touring car background (Even sportscars/GT) that went on to significant F1/Indycar success?

Odd post. Diminished results because of a step up in class is not the same thing as an unsuccessful adaption.

Scott Russell only raced a single full season with 2 podiums and a 6th place title finish on a detuned Suzuki.
Corser only raced 7 races then bailed on his team that didn't pay him before they eventually went bust.
Edwards was a solid citizen rider, consistent top 5ish race finishes but lacked raw speed for race wins.
Toseland had a solid rookie campaign but then plateaued in his second year. Certainly no disgrace
Bayliss, Spies and Vermeulen all had a race win and multiple podiums.
Cal Crutchlow has multiple wins and podiums.
Nicky Hayden has multiple wins and podiums and a championship.
To say that superbikers can't adapt is an overstated fallacy.
And of course you've willingly ignored Crosby, Spencer, Lawson, Mamola, Gardner, Rainey, Schwantz, etc.

I've never followed car racing - especially open wheelers - enough to know anyone's background.

In terms of McLaughlin, I'm not saying he will or is capable of making the switch. Maybe he's too set in his ways to be able to adapt. All I know is after Rossi could get within 1 second of Schumacher's times after a few test sessions, I'm loathe to ever write off what people are able to achieve.

Think you are spot on, Scotty would need to make a bit of 21st century history, but you couldnt get a better backer than Mr Penske if he is to get the opportunity.

Certainly a long time since Jack Brabham punted a Mustang in Europe, Jim Clark & Jackie Stewart in Cortinas (Frank Gardner).
Gerhard Berger was the last F1 driver (at Adelaide 1985) to punt a tourer* on the same program - he kicked off in an Alfasud, made F1 in 4 years via F3.
Tony Stewart has won in short people, Nascar & Indy Car but started in karts.

Has Scotty had a ride in a sports car at Bathurst yet?

* the GrA BMW 635, the Bob Jane car still here in Aus, taken out by Harves in the HDT Commodore (I think), Dicks only win the Mustang?

Last edited:
As a racing driver, I’m sure Scotty would be looking to challenge himself and take the next step. No matter the type of racing.
Indycar is better than supercar. NASCAR is better than supercar. F1 is the pinnacle.
If an opportunity comes to drive in any of these competitions, what would any driver do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Klyntonius has listed a bunch of riders, and given them excuses for not succeeding or overstated their record. Corser was deadest on making GP, and got put off in half a season. You don't get put off that easily, and was miles off Cadalora. Took the easy life in WSBK

I did not willingly ignore anybody, otherwise I would've used different wording. The common theme with most of those is that they're Americans. AMA racing was a higher level than WC level from the 60s to early 80s. But there more glory worldwide in the WC. Those Americans didn't dominant the WC by accident. Crosby didn't even win a race in 500.

There's no one with a touring car record of some length that's gone on to succeed in F1. Dario Franchitti became successful in Indycar after racing a couple of years in DTM. But raced lower level open wheelers and tested F1. McLaughlin has raced supercars for 10, and that's all he's done. There's nothing he'd have learnt to draw off. It's a huge disadvantage.

Scotty will be fine when he makes the move.

Last edited:
Confirmed for the Indy road course race this year

Scotty will also participate in next week’s the NTT INDYCAR SERIES' preseason open test at Circuit of The Americas in Austin, Texas. He will join the Team Penske lineup that includes defending series champion Josef Newgarden, reigning Indianapolis 500 champion Simon Pagenaud and Will Power.

McLaughlin will pilot the No. 2 Chevrolet during both the COTA test and the GMR Grand Prix in Indianapolis as Newgarden moves to the No. 1 as the reigning series champion.

Seems Jimmy Johnson was on hand when Scotty had another run:
Johnson admitted a possible interest in racing an Indy car in 2021 after his NASCAR contract expires. He said the addition of the Aeroscreen “certainly elevates safety on all forms of courses INDYCAR competes on.”

“I’m definitely learning,” Johnson said. “This is a totally different world than what I’ve been used to, but it’s a world I dreamed of racing in when I was a kid growing up in San Diego. My heroes were the guys that raced in the Indy 500. I’d go to the Long Beach Grand Prix and watch, hang out and wanted to be in a car going by.

& Scotty:
Tuesday's inclementweather at Circuit of The Americas didn’t allow for proper NTT INDYCAR SERIES testing, but Team Penske’s Will Power got to experience driving in the water spray of another car using the sport’s latest safety innovation, the cockpit-protecting Aeroscreen.

Power (No. 12 Verizon Chevrolet) said the Aeroscreen performed as designed, in particular no fogging or visibility issues during a rainy day with temperatures in the low 40s. His run was limited with just two laps under full-course caution conditions behind Scott McLaughlin, the two-time defending winner of the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship testing Team Penske's No. 2 Chevrolet this week on the 20-turn, 3.41-mile road course.

Pretty impressive from Scott.
Can anyone tell me his experience in open wheelers?
I only ask because I fear that practise on your own might not translate well in the middle of a screaming pack of open wheels. Open wheels can’t compare to having bodywork as a protection when it comes to push and shove, as we see every Supercar race.

Pretty impressive from Scott.
Can anyone tell me his experience in open wheelers?
I only ask because I fear that practise on your own might not translate well in the middle of a screaming pack of open wheels. Open wheels can’t compare to having bodywork as a protection when it comes to push and shove, as we see every Supercar race.
Little to none.

It's always an issue in transition but it's equally hard going the other way. Heavy contact isn't really a regular thing in open wheelers like it is in tin tops.

At least we will get to watch Scotty in Indycar & Jimmie Johnson is getting closer testing next month.

The NTT IndyCar Series has negotiated to improve another international broadcasting deficiency experienced in 2019 as the Australian division of Fox Sports has negotiated to bring live coverage to its audience.

According to the channel, IndyCar events will be available on Foxtel and Kayo Sports, with live streaming accessible on Foxtel GO and Kayo Sports as well.

The NTT IndyCar Series has negotiated to improve another international broadcasting deficiency experienced in 2019 as the Australian division of Fox Sports has negotiated to bring live coverage to its audience.

According to the channel, IndyCar events will be available on Foxtel and Kayo Sports, with live streaming accessible on Foxtel GO and Kayo Sports as well.

Wednesday, the seven-time Cup series champion tweeted photos from inside the cockpit of an Indy car, and when asked what it meant, the 44-year-old driver – who announced late last year his plans to retire from full-time Cup competition – said it bluntly: he’s in preparation mode for an impending IndyCar debut.

“It means my friends at @ArrowMcLarenSP offered to let me jump in the car and test with them next month at @BarberMotorPark,” he tweeted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back