Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
anyone whos had telstra switch you from cable to nbn - do they just put you on top speed for same plan having 'given' us 100Mb for months now?

Any tricks when it happens?

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
anyone whos had telstra switch you from cable to nbn - do they just put you on top speed for same plan having 'given' us 100Mb for months now?

Any tricks when it happens?

I switched only a month ago from Bigpond cable to NBN and they should give you two options. The basic 25/5 or whatever it is tier for I think it was about $90? The other offer will be the "Premium evening speed" package which is an unlimited 100/40 tier for the price of the old 50 tier. My bill is a bit of a mess at the moment because it's got a bit of my previous cable period still included but I think it's about $106 a month, roughly what I was previously paying for my cable. Good thing about being on a HFC connection where I wanted the modem in the same place was it took the NBN Co guy less than 30 minutes to set the line up.

Your circumstance may be different, but so far I've never dropped below 90/30 even during peak times. That translates to about 11.5mb/s when I download games from Steam.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Telstra delivered an NBN Connection Pack comprising a router and modem some months ago, unsolicited, which has sat idle. Recently started busting my balls with emails, letters and phone calls designed to bluff me into making the switch. Feel free to call back in early November, I said. Not switching until I have to.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Telstra delivered an NBN Connection Pack comprising a router and modem some months ago, unsolicited, which has sat idle. Recently started busting my balls with emails, letters and phone calls designed to bluff me into making the switch. Feel free to call back in early November, I said. Not switching until I have to.

Just something my provider told me, don't know if it's wrong or right, but worth considering. He said people who leave it to the last minute could run into problems as the demand with be high and may not be able to switch automatically. You can take from that what it's worth.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Just something my provider told me, don't know if it's wrong or right, but worth considering. He said people who leave it to the last minute could run into problems as the demand with be high and may not be able to switch automatically. You can take from that what it's worth.

Yeah it's possible. Telstra lets you book three months in advance... reckon I'll get it locked in early as I already have the cutoff date for this area.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Send your complaints to these clowns.

images (64).jpeg

I've been on NBN for just over a week and cannot understand what the fuss is all about. It's supposed to quicker … rubbish. I try to go into Facebook and sit there for 5 minutes while it decides if it will connect or not. I wouldn't recommend NBN to anyone. I was better off before.

Its been reasonable for me thus far, but I'm waiting for when it goes offline and Telstra/nbn don't fix it for weeks on end!!

The difference in upload speed is noticeable. Downloads are a little quicker (I'm used to 60-80 mbps before nbn and getting 80-98).

But I have had that happen many times.... type in a website that SHOULD load at the blink of an eye. Take minutes to cycle through and load.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
I've been on NBN for just over a week and cannot understand what the fuss is all about. It's supposed to quicker … rubbish. I try to go into Facebook and sit there for 5 minutes while it decides if it will connect or not. I wouldn't recommend NBN to anyone. I was better off before.
Who your ISP is for NBN matters more than it did for ADSL/cable imo.

Its definitely worth spending a little more if you can and going with one of the better ones that also have good (local) customer support (like Aussie Broadband and Superloop among a few others)

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
What are you download speeds?

Fast internet doesn't always = fast websites, that is just how browsing works, some sites are just crap, eg I can watch 4k Youtube videos with minimal buffering but Twitch clips still stop halfway.

What are you download speeds?

Fast internet doesn't always = fast websites, that is just how browsing works, some sites are just crap, eg I can watch 4k Youtube videos with minimal buffering but Twitch clips still stop halfway.
Live streams seem more problematic for some people be it twitch or kayo I think it has a fair bit to do with your RSP routing and capacity to the live streaming servers. I can't comment on twitch but kayo hasn't missed a beat for me with Superloop.

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
Live streams seem more problematic for some people be it twitch or kayo I think it has a fair bit to do with your RSP routing and capacity to the live streaming servers. I can't comment on twitch but kayo hasn't missed a beat for me with Superloop.
I said Twitch clips not streaming. But yes streaming can stop randomly too.

I've been on 3 offerings of NBN now: Fixed wireless, FTTP and HFC.

I'm on HFC at the moment, and I have no complaints. Other people seem to have plenty.

I've been on 3 offerings of NBN now: Fixed wireless, FTTP and HFC.

I'm on HFC at the moment, and I have no complaints. Other people seem to have plenty.
I'm meant to have FTTC available in the next 4 months. On HFC at the moment.

Interested to see what the difference ends up being

boombastinac

Cancelled
Feb 4, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
North melbourne
Yeah it's possible. Telstra lets you book three months in advance... reckon I'll get it locked in early as I already have the cutoff date for this area.
If you are with somebody else it's wise to stick with them because they know their customers. That way you don't have to go with telstra.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've been disappointed. Speed no better than my old ADSL and I have had weeks where there were constant problems which turned out to be upstream with NBN not my ISP. My ISP has been good with support but each time I've contacted them they have had to pass the problem along to NBN co. Curse that stupid liberal government that forced many of us to stay on copper.

Just a tip for Telstra cable customers switched to NBN, if you find you speed drops complain. My friend did and they literally 'flicked a switch' and he got a faster connection without expense.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
The NBN is an unequivocal abortion. Not only should we have not given a 2nd thought to the outdated HFC technology we should all have fibre to the home as they do in a civilised country like NZ. This fumbling inept government foisted this abortion on us as a cost saving measure - that's gone well!

I'm with IInet. I found that they are the best in the business.
They're fine if things are working but if you ever need any technical support they are an absolute s**t show - foregn based call centres who just follow scripts and are basically clueless.

Iinet used to be great but then they were taken over by TPG and now they are bog standard. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

The only RSPs I'd consider are Superloop (who I am with but they have had some teething problems with their contact centre), Aussie Broadband, Future Broadband or Telstra.

I am with Telstra and once we had a Tech come to our house and fix our Wiring inside the house we getting good speeds at about 70mbps for Download

Have Telstra Cable, had for about 2 years since moved to this house. NBN has rolled out in the area now. So am I right in assuming I have to move to NBN? My cable has regular speeds of 100-115mbps and has been almost faultless. Gonna be pretty pissed if I have to move to an inferior product.

Back