Rolling EPL Team of the Season 2019/20

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story Rossco.
I've still got Henderson in my side, but to say Alisson is not even close is rubbish. He's catching up at breakneck pace.

Alisson has faced 46 shots in 17 games, Let in 6. Save percentage 87%. 2.4 saves a game.

Henderson has faced 84 shots in 24 games, Let in 20. Save percentage 76%. 2.6 saves a game.

So Henderson doesn't even make 1 extra save a game, but lets in 14 more goals.
I believe that is check mate

I'm awaiting the response of "I was just trolling" or "Who gives a crap about (insert stat of choice here)" or about how Alisson is being saved by his back 4 despite them being overrated (VVD), being bottom 5 in the league in their position (Arnold), not good enough for England (Gomez), and a poormans Digne (Robbo).

Just about nailed it I reckon. Maddison a shout but it has to be either Maddison or Grealish.
Yeah possible changes/toss ups

Grealish - Maddison
Salah/Ings - Aguero

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Yeah possible changes/toss ups

Grealish - Maddison
Salah/Ings - Aguero

Aguero / Vardy would have to be the choice. Maybe Vardy could play in a front 3 on the left but Kun is only a CF. Salah has really stepped it up of late. Perhaps Salah/Aguero/Vardy? Tough on Ingsy though.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Alisson has obviously been the best goalkeeper in the league again this season but Dean Henderson might get in because he's done well for a "lesser club" that is overachieving, plus the team will already be Liverpool heavy. It'd be good and deserved recognition for him, where as Alisson doesn't really need it.
Why 'obviously'?
Clean sheets is a metric but hardly a determinant considering the varying quality of teammates and defenses goalkeepers have in front of them.

He may deserve it he may not but either way players would hardly see Sheffield United play compared the bigger teams so that does work against Henderson.

The team is flawed in that respect in that players are voting on something largely based on what they have seen or 1 or 2 games against that opposition, or based on media crap.

Not offering an opinion on Allison v Henderson as I would have no idea.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Why 'obviously'?
Clean sheets is a metric but hardly a determinant considering the varying quality of teammates and defenses goalkeepers have in front of them.

He may deserve it he may not but either way players would hardly see Sheffield United play compared the bigger teams so that does work against Henderson.

The team is flawed in that respect in that players are voting on something largely based on what they have seen or 1 or 2 games against that opposition, or based on media crap.

Not offering an opinion on Allison v Henderson as I would have no idea.

Grealish or Maddison for you?

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Aguero running at 1.46 goals + assists per 90. Only 1 goal behind Vardy in the golden boot race despite playing 838 fewer minutes.

Has to be in the side.

After 25 games my team is:

Alisson; Arnold, Soyuncu, Van Dijk, Robertson; Henderson, De Bruyne; Firmino, Salah, Vardy, Aguero

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Alisson has faced 46 shots in 17 games, Let in 6. Save percentage 87%. 2.4 saves a game.

Henderson has faced 84 shots in 24 games, Let in 20. Save percentage 76%. 2.6 saves a game.

Not the stats I have. I don't have Henderson in this bargain anyway. I have Dubravka. Alisson doesn't make a lot of difficult saves because he doesn't have to. A long range shot that comes straight at him is a save. It's a pointless metric in some ways. Adrian has been the better keeper in the Liverpool side this year and hasn't been sent off.

You Liverpool fans are the most delusional around, must be something in the water that causes it. Next you'll tell me that Shaqiri is a premier league footballer or Origi is in the top 6 strikers in the league

The following are two shots on targets chalk maps from the weekend. Guess who's is who's

1580978067283.png
1580978104978.png

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Not the stats I have. I don't have Henderson in this bargain anyway. I have Dubravka. Alisson doesn't make a lot of difficult saves because he doesn't have to. A long range shot that comes straight at him is a save. It's a pointless metric in some ways. Adrian has been the better keeper in the Liverpool side this year and hasn't been sent off.

You Liverpool fans are the most delusional around, must be something in the water that causes it. Next you'll tell me that Shaqiri is a premier league footballer or Origi is in the top 6 strikers in the league

The following are two shots on targets chalk maps from the weekend. Guess who's is who's

View attachment 818581View attachment 818582
You're an Everton fan though soooo...

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

These stats are somewhat relevant in comparison in forming an arguable point because im sure no one here has seen 5 Sheffield United games this season (surely not) and so comparing Player A from a team 50% of this forum supports with Player B that 0% does requires fair statistical comparison, to balance the fanatical cheerleading. In this case it is a fair and semi-persuasive argument.

Of course what it doesn’t tell you (and why it will only ever be an arguable point) is how saveable those shots were, how realistic saving them was etc. Maybe one of them has been done a statistical favour by the number of unrealistic long range or tight angle shots and poor straight at them finishes from misfiring strikers?

And the other has had a disproportionate number of top corner, unsaveable shots?

I personally think Allison gets it and I have no idea as I only watch Villa but the number of goals conceded and dominance of Liverpool will dictate the vote.

Will.B.Worth.Da.Waite

Premiership Player
Feb 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Although most of what you're saying right now is wrong, thought I'd highlight the above in particular since we were talking about this in the Liverpool thread just the other day.

Alison has repeatedly stood up this season to make difficult saves, maybe hasn't had to do it as much as keepers in a poor team but Alison's immensely high level and consistency is a reason our defence this season has been overrated.

FWIW my ranking so far would be;
1) Alison / Dubravka
3) Henderson

Back