Player Watch Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

I think his last contract was 1 mill over 3 years. This one I think is around the 2.5 mark
It's an interesting one. Right now, he's still "potential" but 5 x $500K isn't what it used to be, it's (I think) more a rate for a "good" rather than "great" player. When you look at what some clubs are apparently giving their equivalent younger players to lock them in, maybe 5 x $500K is a steal.*

* Yes, whether it is a "steal" or not depends on his performance, but I think it's good value in terms of what we know right now and locking him in.

I suspect some of it might also be that he's keen / willing to lock himself in with a secure contract, doesn't really see himself shopping himself around to clubs outside SA, doesn't feel the need to extract every last $ out of the club.

His shake n' bake is as good as any in the AFL. Just ask Derwayne...not that Derwayne's ever actually said that.

But seriously, he's like that lizard on that snake island running the gauntlet...you seen that vid?

Love him across half back. Jeez if we can't mount attacks from half back with Milera, Smith and Gibbs, then no club will be able to.

Saw the notification come up on my phone about a 5 year contract extension and was hoping it was about Brad Crouch. But happy to see Milera locked away for 5 years. Looked fantastic in patches in 2018 so hopefully we can get him back to that form this season.
I’d be spewing if we offered Brad 5 years. Particularly on big money.

For such a quite and reserved bloke he seems extremely well liked by the whole playing group going by that contract reveal footage. Have we ever really done something like that before?

Maybe it’s a new thing Nicksy and co are trying to implement, getting around people who want to be here and play for the club.

Or maybe everyone just stoked to have Milera hitting them on the tit from all parts of the ground!

Not sure how anyone can be against the length of the deal given our retention issues. If you want talent to stay you have to back them in. Even if he never fulfills his potential I am happy we took the punt. It shows maybe, just maybe, we have changed our attitudes towards youth.

I also feel like Milera is the kind of bloke that will gain a lot of confidence from having this security. I'm stoked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You wouldn't think this would be a large money contract either.

5 years is a lot but I'm far more confident than I would've been giving 4 years to Greenwood or Keath

You wouldn't think this would be a large money contract either.

5 years is a lot but I'm far more confident than I would've been giving 4 years to Greenwood or Keath
Tredders seems to be of the opinion that he's now one of our highest paid players, while Bickley has said the opposite and said he sacrificed a bit of coin for the longer deal.

So I guess all we know is everyone is just guessing!

I’d guess in the region of roughly 3m over 5 years.

Reckon something like that is a good deal for player and club.
The thing to remember with long deals is, by about year 3-4 the league averages will increase to the point where Jnr will be right back in the pack in terms of salary.

So even if he is on overs to start, he'll probably be on under's for the last 2 years of his contract, and that's if he only plays to his 2018 standard (which I think we all assume he will surpass).

Good deal for all!

For such a quite and reserved bloke he seems extremely well liked by the whole playing group going by that contract reveal footage. Have we ever really done something like that before?

Maybe it’s a new thing Nicksy and co are trying to implement, getting around people who want to be here and play for the club.

Or maybe everyone just stoked to have Milera hitting them on the tit from all parts of the ground!

It always makes me happy when Doedee in particular gets around them on twitter.

I’d guess in the region of roughly 3m over 5 years.

Reckon something like that is a good deal for player and club.
Made me laugh when Blighty and Wilds were talking $300k initially, then Wilds pointed average wage is something like $380k and then they said, ok $400k then

Made me laugh when Blighty and Wilds were talking $300k initially, then Wilds pointed average wage is something like $380k and then they said, ok $400k then
Comical - I mean we’re all guessing but surely that’s not realistic.

I’m prob at the higher range but I would have thought it would be no lower that 2.5 over 5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back