FTA-TV Top 10 Sci Fi Shows of All Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Man in the High Castle reaches for greatness but falls short. Still good though. Apparently it’s had a lot of behind the scenes turmoil, changing show runners, prevented it from getting on a roll.

It's just too grim for me. I need a bit of humour and light in shows to really grab me. I don't like watching shows just to feel depressed. It also felt incredibly drawn out. Plots would just drag without much progress like they were just trying to pad from limited material.

Long Live HFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd be curious to watch a few episodes myself and see how they hold up, its crazy how many episodes I still remember somewhat clearly, the detective with only a human head, the invisible robot at Christmas, Astro's new legs, brother Atlas...

yeah, i was the same. i remembered most of the episodes. they must have re-run it a dozen times or more.

That show's too flawed to be top.

i really enjoyed it for the most part (though more when there was mystery re wtf was going on), but i was mostly responding to the sliders discussion given both series' concepts.

yeah, i was the same. i remembered most of the episodes. they must have re-run it a dozen times or more.

i really enjoyed it for the most part (though more when there was mystery re wtf was going on), but i was mostly responding to the sliders discussion given both series' concepts.

How many seasons does Sliders have? Might check it out.

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
I'm confused about why you don't think it's sci fi then.
Its just not the first show that pops in to my head when someone asks me to recommend sci-fi.

I suppose by definition it is sci-fi but the show itself is a lot more phenomena than technology.

Its just not the first show that pops in to my head when someone asks me to recommend sci-fi.

I suppose by definition it is sci-fi but the show itself is a lot more phenomena than technology.

Sci-Fi is alternate universes, etc.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
So yep, I ended up loving BSG! From the moment the Kobol storyline concluded and Lucy Lawless entered, it was completely engrossing from then on through the finale, and fairly well made. Razor and the Gaeta webisode series were decent as well.

I might revisit someday and see whether the Miniseries/S1/early S2 really were lesser and the show took time to find its groove, or whether it merely took me some time to acclimatise.

I don't really understand why the Daybreak finale would be hated. The opera house dream and Kara jump might potentially be seen as underwhelming conclusions of plot threads, but I was find with it all in all, fairly beautiful way to go out actually. I guess shows with a lot of lore build up ridiculous levels of water cooler hype that a finale can never hope to satisfy, especially at the time (see GoT). Bingeing over the last 5 weeks is more ideal. "They [Cylons] have a plan" always sounded rather stupid to me, but if you bought that and felt cheated then fair enough.

Last edited:
No love for the Sarah Connor Chronicles.

tumblr_onrqkbzrC71vw4dc2o3_500.gifv

The episode where I thought John Connor was going to bang a terminator was interesting to say the least.

For its time, the TV series was great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Journeyman was a victim of the writer’s strike. Was on the borderline in terms of ratings and when the strike dragged on, they guessed there’d be even less of an audience to remember.

Very much a remake of Quantum Leap, on of all my all time faves which may be in line for a reboot.

Reality.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
If Scott Bakula's character is played by some girl power actress, and Dean Brockwell's character by some twenty-year-old wimpy science nerd, then I'll know it's 2022.

Haha, the cast will probably be filled by Disney actors.

If Scott Bakula's character is played by some girl power actress, and Dean Brockwell's character by some twenty-year-old wimpy science nerd, then I'll know it's 2022.

Dunno if you need that to know what year it is.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Translation: if it’s not portrayed by people that look like me, I’ll have a whinge.

Quantum Leap isn’t inherently tied by its premise to white male actors. Mixing it up would hurt the show in no way whatsoever. Only bad writing would do that.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Translation: if it’s not portrayed by people that look like me, I’ll have a whinge.

Quantum Leap isn’t inherently tied by its premise to white male actors. Mixing it up would hurt the show in no way whatsoever. Only bad writing would do that.
Many many many of the episodes revolved around the main dude seeing life from a different perspective, like a woman or another race.

Take that out and you lose half the content to remake.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Many many many of the episodes revolved around the main dude seeing life from a different perspective, like a woman or another race.

Take that out and you lose half the content to remake.

I don't get this logic - can a woman not experience things from other perspectives?

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I don't get this logic - can a woman not experience things from other perspectives?
Hypothetically speaking, how would a 'liberal black woman has to see things from perspective as conservative white man' story play out and go over?

Look I don't care much either way, but saying that being a straight white guy had nothing to do with Quantum Leap, I don't think the speaker actually watched much Quantum Leap, because frequently it did! That should be the main takeaway.

Hypothetically speaking, how would a 'liberal black woman has to see things from perspective as conservative white man' story play out and go over?

Look I don't care much either way, but saying that being a straight white guy had nothing to do with Quantum Leap, I don't think the speaker actually watched much Quantum Leap, because frequently it did! That should be the main takeaway.

That's a strangely specific hypothetical.

The main point is that people can experience the world through other perspectives. Perhaps if the lead is a black woman, she experiences life in China, or during the Roman Empire, or as a latino in America, there are plenty of experiences that liberal black women haven't experienced that would still be interesting and engaging to a viewer.

The constant straw manning of why things shouldn't be portrayed by certain people is an odd one.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
That's a strangely specific hypothetical.

The main point is that people can experience the world through other perspectives. Perhaps if the lead is a black woman, she experiences life in China, or during the Roman Empire, or as a latino in America, there are plenty of experiences that liberal black women haven't experienced that would still be interesting and engaging to a viewer.

The constant straw manning of why things shouldn't be portrayed by certain people is an odd one.

Hey they rebooted Equalizer with Queen Latifah! And I was fine with it.

You call it straw manning but I think being a white dude was a central concept in many episodes, and there's some reaching going on about how that can be redone appropriately with a minority lead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back