Gold Coast v Tasmania Are we missing something with AFLW?

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaunbkk

All Australian
Oct 14, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Huge AFL follower though dumbfounded by the AFL's stupidity (won't even start on that one here). Gold Coast remains a failure in AFL.
AFLW struggles to field competitive teams yet there's a rush to add teams (lowering the standard).
Looking at the 23 people at the Gold Coast-GWS game, did the AFL miss the boat with an opportunity to enter a Tasmanian team
rather than Gold Coast or in fact any other addition this year?

Huge AFL follower though dumbfounded by the AFL's stupidity (won't even start on that one here). Gold Coast remains a failure in AFL.
AFLW struggles to field competitive teams yet there's a rush to add teams (lowering the standard).
Looking at the 23 people at the Gold Coast-GWS game, did the AFL miss the boat with an opportunity to enter a Tasmanian team
Let’s just ignore that AFLW is a failure of football in general. Season 4 and the skill level is worse than you’d see on the field for under 12’s

The weather is horrendous with barely any cover so there is that.

Isn’t the Kangaroos Tassie in the women’s game this year?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let’s just ignore that AFLW is a failure of football in general. Season 4 and the skill level is worse than you’d see on the field for under 12’s

Rubbish. The girl supporters of the game and involvement in playing footy on its own show that the league isn't a failure. They will improve for the next generation of woman.

I wish some admin things were handled differently though

North Melbourne is pretty much the Tasmanian team though. Well at least that was the plan when they were introduced.

Rubbish. The girl supporters of the game and involvement in playing footy on its own show that the league isn't a failure. They will improve for the next generation of woman.

I wish some admin things were handled differently though
The whole set up of the comp was a joke and then the idea to expand when the talent level isn’t close to ready. On top of that you have players believing they deserve to be full time professionals when it’s obvious to most they’re lucky to be paid at the level they are.

The sense of entitlement is laughable

No.

More people playing football in queensland than anywhere else. Plus those suns girls were impressive. Maybe the crowd factor you should be looking at GWS for that given it was their home game in NSW. But competitiveness? The suns girls fought ALL DAY, and you can't fault their effort at all. Almost beat a team who had been playing together for a year, against a team who had 10 debutants.

The whole set up of the comp was a joke and then the idea to expand when the talent level isn’t close to ready. On top of that you have players believing they deserve to be full time professionals when it’s obvious to most they’re lucky to be paid at the level they are.

You must be young, no one with any experience thinks anything happens overnight.

Things take time to develop and with clubs in every region the development and the brass ring is there.

You must be young, no one with any experience thinks anything happens overnight.

Things take time to develop and with clubs in every region the development and the brass ring is there.

I didn’t realise women only started playing AFL 4 years ago, that must explain why the majority can’t kick properly, handball like a 3 year old and have a complete lack of awareness on the field.

Nice try to deflect from the argument gramps but no matter a persons age they can see that the AFL jumped the shark with trying to pass this off as an elite comp.

I didn’t realise women only started playing AFL 4 years ago, that must explain why the majority can’t kick properly, handball like a 3 year old and have a complete lack of awareness on the field.

Nice try to deflect from the argument gramps but no matter a persons age they can see that the AFL jumped the shark with trying to pass this off as an elite comp.

They’ve only had money invested in training and promotion the last few years.

Growth shows it’s working and the skills will improve.

But keep expecting everything now.

They’ve only had money invested in training and promotion the last few years.

Growth shows it’s working and the skills will improve.

But keep expecting everything now.

Sorry for expecting they should be able execute basic skills that 10-12 years olds can.
Are you saying that only money helps with skills? By that logic a 10 year old shouldnt be able to kick, handball and mark better than N AFLW player.

I mean it’s not like women have been playing afl for decades but you can just keep on expecting substandard AFL.

Sorry for expecting they should be able execute basic skills that 10-12 years olds can.
Are you saying that only money helps with skills? By that logic a 10 year old shouldnt be able to kick, handball and mark better than N AFLW player.

I mean it’s not like women have been playing afl for decades but you can just keep on expecting substandard AFL.

You really are a child. The 1st paragraph proves it.

Who said I’m expecting substandard footy? It’ll take time for the women’s game to grow in standard, having a national comp, that has already shown to grow grassroots, will help that.

I would think a Lions fan would know about patience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ideally (IMO) the league should have been this for at least 5 years:

Melbourne
Collingwood
Carlton
(Geelong or Wst Bullies it’s debatable)
Brisbane
GWS
Adelaide
West Coast

You really are a child. The 1st paragraph proves it.

Who said I’m expecting substandard footy? It’ll take time for the women’s game to grow in standard, having a national comp, that has already shown to grow grassroots, will help that.

I would think a Lions fan would know about patience.

🥱🥱🥱🥱.

Way to ignore valid points around quality by ignoring womens afl has been played for a number of years meaning basic skills should be expected.

🥱🥱🥱🥱.

Way to ignore valid points around quality by ignoring womens afl has been played for a number of years meaning basic skills should be expected.

What valid points?

You whinged about kicking like 10 year olds and demanded they be well ahead of where any big name competition would be after only a few years in investment.

Bet you didn’t even watch the game and just noticed the score.

What? The AFL did something that was stupid? I'm sorry, I refuse to watch a game of football where it's likely 3 goals will win the game! Expanding the competition was dumb as it just dilutes the talent which makes for horrible viewing. Should be maximum 8 teams. The AFL caved in to the clubs wanting to field a womens team. I watched a little of the games yesterday and the skills were truly horrible and i didn't see one goal scored in the time i watched.

I can't believe the GC are in the mens competition let alone the womens.

What valid points?

You whinged about kicking like 10 year olds and demanded they be well ahead of where any big name competition would be after only a few years in investment.

Bet you didn’t even watch the game and just noticed the score.

You keep spouting nonsense about a few years of investment while ignoring that women have been playing AFL for more than 4 years meaning the vast majority of players should be able to mark, handball and kick the ball at a decent standard.

I watched about 20 mins of the game and it was poor even allowing for the weather.

Now good old Moana Hope has come demanding they be paid like the men. Such a laughable request.

Looking at the 23 people at the Gold Coast-GWS game,
Maybe the crowd factor you should be looking at GWS for that given it was their home game in NSW.

There were closer to 1,500 there crammed into the grandstand - on a day when they CANCELLED THE A-LEAGUE DERBY down the road.

I was soaked to the bone sitting in the grandstand because the rain was coming in sideways. And the grandstand was still packed.

The highly paid professional sportsmen of the Wanderers and Sydney FC might not have been able to play in the weather it was that bad - but at least the girls played - and the grandstand was FULL of fans watching.

Last edited:
There were closer to 1,500 there crammed into the grandstand - on a day when they CANCELLED THE A-LEAGUE DERBY down the road.

I was soaked to the bone sitting in the grandstand because the rain was coming in sideways. And the grandstand was still packed.

The highly paid professional sportsmen of the Wanderers and Sydney United might not have been able to play in the weather it was that bad - but at least the girls played - and the grandstand was FULL of fans watching.
Oh, I know. The weather conditions would have been difficult for an attendance pov. Heavy rain usually puts people off. Even the BBL last night was pretty empty given the weather expected.

No. Queensland women's footy is strong - they're at worst 3rd, and daylight ahead of SA in 4th.
Tasmanian women's footy has always been weak. They got massacred by NSW in the under 18's last year and generally get destroyed by all mainland states in any interstate comp.

You've got a point about lowering the standard by adding more teams, but Queensland did deserve a 2nd team once the decision to expand was made.

What? The AFL did something that was stupid? I'm sorry, I refuse to watch a game of football where it's likely 3 goals will win the game! Expanding the competition was dumb as it just dilutes the talent which makes for horrible viewing. Should be maximum 8 teams. The AFL caved in to the clubs wanting to field a womens team. I watched a little of the games yesterday and the skills were truly horrible and i didn't see one goal scored in the time i watched.

I can't believe the GC are in the mens competition let alone the womens.

Wow ! talk about elitism.....your Club has been in existence since 1859 and in that time (160 yrs) you've managed 12 Flags and not one since 1964.....a whopping 55+yrs ago, and then it took another 23yrs before you even made finals again.
And this is not about MFC, it's about the audacity of yourself to even dare criticise another Club on their performance, especially one who has only been in existence for the same amount of time that you've been posting on BF (11yrs)

Give me one quote.

Just one tiny weeny itsy bitsy little quote from just one AFLW footballer.

Because I see outside commentators coming at it from an angle of feminism, and guys like you. The only people that ever mention it. Laughable.

Think I am wrong - just 1 quote.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back