Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Tbf 2 that no one would really go after
Less money for the main players out of contract

Could have off loaded them and paid base wage to 2 draftees
Kennedy is one of our top 3 most important players. And I am not joking. There are a number of "stars" I would rather offload before Kennedy.

Lol not even close.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Pretty simple post you have just paid 2 players more money that could have been offloaded to have more cash and paid to 2 draftees base wage instead

Fair enough if they are important to you on your opinion

Point stands less money to keep existing players

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Pretty simple post you have just paid 2 players more money that could have been offloaded to have more cash and paid to 2 draftees base wage instead

I'm sure our guys have it covered

You do realise you need more than just superstars in your team yeah?
I know this is a new concept for a club trying to buy a superstar every year but it's true.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders

Mate, Adam Kennedy is a seriously good footballer. And one of the best leaders at our footy club. I don't expect you to understand, but he's our version of Andrew Carazzo. Never going to be a star or get the headlines, but gets the most out of himself and his team-mates, and is absolutely loved by everybody. Saving a couple of hundred thousand dollars is insignificant considering the standards he sets on and off the field.

As I said, he is one of our top three most important players.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
^good to know

Again post is simple it’s about cap space
I can see what you mean. :thumbsu: I just don't think he gets the kudos he should because he isn't a flashy player and escapes a lot of media attention. Our club values him incredibly highly.

It's a unique one, because his value to us is much higher than to another club. Him re-signing early also provides some guarantee for the likes of Buntine, Kelly, Coniglio, Tomlinson ect. who he has been with for many years. Great to have him onboard.

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS

Maybe the existing OOC players want to see a stable best 22 and success rather than $0000's.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
And your club has never won a flag
Which has zero to do with the conversation.

You seem to be riding the ideal that players are staying at our club for success and money only.

Here's a hint. Players actually like being with us. For the most part.
Hense why quite a few have signed on for less and rejected much much bigger offers.

Which has zero to do with the conversation.

You seem to be riding the ideal that players are staying at our club for success and money only.

Here's a hint. Players actually like being with us. For the most part.
Hense why quite a few have signed on for less and rejected much much bigger offers.

Interesting given so many have asked for trades home from your club

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Interesting given so many have asked for trades home from your club
Considering we had an ever shrinking list size and cap what did you think was going to happen?

I wouldn't be so sarcastic about it considering what your club has thrown around dollar wise and got zero acceptances.

I have no doubt we may lose 1 or 2 stars but some of the garbage you have spouted is hilarious.

Another club, another club focus thread.

This is a GWS-specific version of the player contracts & statistics spreadsheet pinned to the top of this forum. It summarises your players' contract situations, experience, ages and heights. The data is from footywire, and the spreadsheet will update itself when footywire is updated. It may contain some errors, I do not have the ability to update them so we just have to deal with what footywire gives us. It's the best we can do for the moment.

Based on this data, GWS have the tallest and heaviest list, averaging 189.4cm and 88.2kg. They are the 5th oldest, with an average age of 24.4, and 9th most experienced, averaging 70.3 career games.

Your picks in the first five rounds of the 2019 national draft are:
1st round pick (tied to Essendon - currently pick 9)
1st round pick (tied to GWS - currently pick 15)
3rd round pick (tied to GWS - currently pick 51)
5th round pick (tied to Carlton - currently pick 74)
5th round pick (tied to GWS - currently pick 87)

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Giants fans, who do you want to re-sign, and who is on the trade table?

Where do you see the gaps in the list as it stands?

Which players do you think are gettable to fill those needs?

What will it take, given the current trade and draft value on hand?

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
is Sam Reid a restricted free agent?

I know he's been with the club since 2012 but for 2 of those years he was retired and being a development coach and NEAFL listed player only. since his first relisting he has been delisted and then relisted (twice).

I thought you only got to free agency with continous service.

is Sam Reid a restricted free agent?

I know he's been with the club since 2012 but for 2 of those years he was retired and being a development coach and NEAFL listed player only. since his first relisting he has been delisted and then relisted (twice).

I thought you only got to free agency with continous service.
I'm guessing it's 8 years service at the same club that's caused it to flag for footywire. I'm not 100% sure how the rules work with that since he'd also be under the rookie contract rules.

I think he'd be an RFA anyway if he's ever been a DFA though, with the new lifetime free agency rules coming into effect?

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
I'm guessing it's 8 years service at the same club that's caused it to flag for footywire.
8 years at the club but only 6 as a listed player.

bit of a unique story/set of circumstances I'll grant you.

not that it really matters - can't see him going anywhere else (or anyone else being interested)

Back