Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
I am a bit harsh on North. I dont see any A-grade mids. I see a few solid mids. they were extreme on both ends. One week they kick 1 goal vs Geelong, the next week they kick 23 goals vs Port. They finished above freo in 2019 but thats due to their shinboner spirit of guts and determinaton.
Not just a bit harsh, but lacking in the same rigour of analysis that you've attempted with your own team I'd say.
Higgins and Cunnington are A grade mids in my opinion. Higgins has been AA, Cunnington features in the top 3-5 statistically in the contested ball/clearance type statistics, with many neutrals acknowledging his underrated status. Goldstein too, has been in the top 3 rucks for many years.

"A grade" is, of course, subjective not just in terms of who qualifies, but in what we think 'A grade' means.

Jun 27, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sturt
Good question. I take it as meaning who's going to be a top eight team in the next three to seven years say. I picked Adelaide - -I just don't see they have enough young and fresh talent.

I think Gold Coast are going to be pretty scary in two to t hree years. Dew has cleaned out the players who don't want to be there and has a huge pool of talent. As they rise up the ladder they're also going to attract a Hodge or Lewis-type older players to give them valuable depth and experience.

GWS will be an interesting study. Brimming with stars now, they are going to have to learn the art of rebuilding on the run.

May 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Barcelona
Would still prefer Essendon's list over Freo, Hawthorn, Port, GCS, North and St Kilda but Dodoro needs to pull his finger out if we're to cushion the blow with a large number of KPs entering their twilight years or leaving the club. Especially since his hasn't yet finished construction the midfield.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would still prefer Essendon's list over Freo, Hawthorn, Port, GCS, North and St Kilda but Dodoro needs to pull his finger out if we're to cushion the blow with a large number of KPs entering their twilight years or leaving the club. Especially since his hasn't yet finished construction the midfield.

Please provide some rational over Essendon's list being superior to the Saints. Will be interesting to see how both teams go this year.

Do agree that the Dodo needs to pull his finger out, he has been put up on a pedestal for very little reason.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Not just a bit harsh, but lacking in the same rigour of analysis that you've attempted with your own team I'd say.
Higgins and Cunnington are A grade mids in my opinion. Higgins has been AA, Cunnington features in the top 3-5 statistically in the contested ball/clearance type statistics, with many neutrals acknowledging his underrated status. Goldstein too, has been in the top 3 rucks for many years.

"A grade" is, of course, subjective not just in terms of who qualifies, but in what we think 'A grade' means.
Yeah your right. Its mainly because i dont see any stand out players with the exception of Brown, Goldstein and Higgins.

I remember going on the Brisbane Lions board 3-5 years ago and talking about their squad and the only guys I recognised back then was zorko, Mitch Robinson and Dan Rich.

I mean I could name at least 10-12 players off the top of my head on the 2001-3 Brisbane Lions side.

Hell, I cant tell you one player on the chicago Bulls side in the NBA but I can Name all the players from the 1996-1998 bulls side.

If you are a winning team, all players even the 2nd tier players are mentioned.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers

Very debateable. I say both Freos and essendons lists are equally good, despite the ladder finishes of both sides. Yeah you beat us easily in Perth, when freo had minus 2 KPFs and a KPD. But in docklands, you only beat us by a goal.

Hawks have a better list than essendon. Also Port beat your mob at docklands late last season.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah your right. Its mainly because i dont see any stand out players with the exception of Brown, Goldstein and Higgins.

I remember going on the Brisbane Lions board 3-5 years ago and talking about their squad and the only guys I recognised back then was zorko, Mitch Robinson and Dan Rich.

I mean I could name at least 10-12 players off the top of my head on the 2001-3 Brisbane Lions side.

Hell, I cant tell you one player on the chicago Bulls side in the NBA but I can Name all the players from the 1996-1998 bulls side.

If you are a winning team, all players even the 2nd tier players are mentioned.

maybe you're making the classic mistake of lack of publicity versus lack of class

Objective Data
0D2F0912-013F-46E1-8E4E-B963723C1DF0.jpeg
41D2957D-57C4-49C9-AB64-90F955F8433E.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
With 18 teams in the league, North Melbourne I see as the team that gets stuck in the middle of the ladder for years on end. I can't see them bottoming out at any time soon, but I don't see them making a serious challenge for the premiership either. They might draft some players who turn out to be very good players and do well out of trades, but as for building the necessary list to win a premiership, I can't see it. The Kangaroos might be able to make the finals some years but probably semi finalists at best.
Ninth Melbourne.......?
There’s gotta be a team to take over from Ninthmond now surely?

Junction Lion

Debutant
Aug 23, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If its a prediction thread ok can live with that but even if so there's some interesting "analysis" going on.
Aren't these jokers the same mob who rated Melbourne as having best list 12 months ago?
[/
If its a prediction thread ok can live with that but even if so there's some interesting "analysis" going on.
Aren't these jokers the same mob who rated Melbourne as having best list 12 months ago?
Yeah, it’s a strange one. Lions 1 for midfield, yet highest points for in 2019 and 17th for forwards? Yes, tall forwards need improvement but the rest go alright.

Jan 30, 2004
bentleigh
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawthorn
Charging Super Bowl level of prices would still be better than paying literally thousands for overinflated flights and hotels on top of the ticket

Only better if you happen to reside in the host city. If the competing GF clubs were say, GWS and Brisbane, and the game was in Perth that particular year the travelling fans are still going to be hit with daylight robbery charges for flights and accomodation. I think a lot of proponents of moving the GF to smaller venues and cities around the country are forgetting that the local teams are not going to be competing in the vast majority of cases. The most successful non Victorian club since the competition went national is WC who have made seven grand finals in thirty three seasons.

Mr.X

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
It could be Melbourne by Rnd 10 as there are some worrying signs there.

They capitulated last year and its often very difficult to turn it around once that kind of decay has set in

Back