2020 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We probably need a new thread now that the AFLW has started.

It’s a long way from a lockout for the season opener at Princes Park but still an excellent crowd.

Crowd: 15,337 at Ikon Park

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good opening crowd.
The TV ratings will be interesting considering there was international womens soccer with the Matildas playing,the A League and Super Rugby also on at the same time.

The average viewing for the AFLW will 3 times the aggregate of those other three events

It will comfortably beat the aggregate of the other games on foxtel

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Still the biggest on Foxtel The crowd at the supposed very popular womens international soccer was pathetic even allowing for rain!

I wonder how much the ABC is wasting on telecasting these matches?
congrats on bagging out a tournament which was only set up a couple of weeks ago, which had kick-off times shifted several times since then, against a minnow and over after 15 mins plus the pouring rain. (in the AFL crowd's thread. irrelevant much)

As for the ABC, let's ignore the fact they showed it on delay and it seemed more of a Fox Sports/FFA broadcast, why shouldn't they show women's sport and a national team.

Honestly, a pathetic post.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
congrats on bagging out a tournament which was only set up a couple of weeks ago, which had kick-off times shifted several times since then, against a minnow and over after 15 mins plus the pouring rain. (in the AFL crowd's thread. irrelevant much)

As for the ABC, let's ignore the fact they showed it on delay and it seemed more of a Fox Sports/FFA broadcast, why shouldn't they show women's sport and a national team.

Honestly, a pathetic post.
No,it was a poor crowd like nearly all the crowds to Womens soccer in Australia and I dont like my taxes being wasted on a sport very few care about going by the small crowds it gets even for international matches!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints should have been there in the beginning instead, knew they had strong support and involvement in womans footy but gifting it to the bigger clubs intially.

Oh well they are here now

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
No,it was a poor crowd like nearly all the crowds to Womens soccer in Australia and I dont like my taxes being wasted on a sport very few care about going by the small crowds it gets even for international matches!

Yep, stand your ground against abusive posting from brutally insecure soccer types. It's not your fault there is far more interested in club women's football than there is in international women's soccer

Solid crowds in the aflw today

It just makes so much sense playing them at the old traditional grounds. I know Collingwood has much better facilities for the players at our Olympic Park ground but the atmosphere at Vic Park can’t be beaten for these games.

Looks like Saints fans relished being able to go back to Moorabbin as well. 👍

Les Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
It just makes so much sense playing them at the old traditional grounds. I know Collingwood has much better facilities for the players at our Olympic Park ground but the atmosphere at Vic Park can’t be beaten for these games.

Looks like Saints fans relished being able to go back to Moorabbin as well. 👍

In fact i would argue without using the old suburban grounds, the comp would fail.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Thought the AFLW missed out on a good opportunity to play in Perth for West Coast womens first game.

Would have got a bumper crowd over there.

Thought the AFLW missed out on a good opportunity to play in Perth for West Coast womens first game.

Would have got a bumper crowd over there.
Who knows how big it'd be, that's the problem. Better to wait a week when Optus Stadium is available and not worrying about if Leederville or Lathlain will be big enough.

kranger

Club Legend
Nov 30, 2006
Kalamunda
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
Who knows how big it'd be, that's the problem. Better to wait a week when Optus Stadium is available and not worrying about if Leederville or Lathlain will be big enough.

Even though the Eagles AFLW team will no doubt average bigger crowds than the Dockers AFLW team over time, and this weeks Derby will help boost the crowd for the Eagles first home game, I suspect this crowd won’t be as big as the Dockers first game at Optus Stadium as that crowd was bolstered by being the first ever football game of any sort at the brand new stadium and a lot of people would have gone just for that experience besides from the actual AFLW game.

Still it will be interesting to see the RAC Derby crowd especially with the $3 entry fee as a fundraiser for the bushfire appeal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back