Women's Footy AFLW Round 1 2020 - Fremantle V Geelong - Fremantle Oval. Sunday 9 Feb 2019, 2:10pm AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

Duffy would often get caught trying to take someone on rather than a handball last year, from what I saw today she was willing to pass to the first option, coupled with the 4 goals from her generally being a clean player, she is becoming something special.

Exciting times ahead for the girls

At the ground the wind was fierce. There was a kick from Houghton that swung round 90 degrees to where she kicked it.

Clearly dominant most of the game with 47 i50s to 13 - just not clean enough going into the forward 50 and capitalising. Cain going down early didn't help as we didn't release to the outside nearly as much as we did last season. Not sure if the injury is bad but suspect we need to reset a bit rather than trying to force it through the corridor.

Not quite as comprehensive as I was expecting but with 7 new faces in the team (a third) that isn't too bad to get the ball rolling. Geelong were much better (as a team) than last time we played them as well. We will need to tighten up getting done over the back, can't allow easy run on goals against better teams that will get more opportunities than Geelong had. I thought we might have fixed it given we had the same problem against Adelaide in the practice match.

That forward line of ours is going to be insanely good. Duffy is an absolute superstar. Roux is going to be - and her ruck work was brilliant (she had more hit outs than Strom!). Houghton is only warming up (scary prospect) and O'Sullivan always seems to start seasons slowly before kicking into gear. Flood needs time to settle in - that move she did beating two defenders before she got caught holding the ball with her first touch looked insane at the ground - just needs to learn she hasn't got much time. I'd persist with her because she has a bag of tricks.

Bowers with a measly 14 tackles to go with her 22 disposals (20 kicks)! Only 11th best player in AFLW according to Sarah Black - yeah ok?!? :rolleyes: Thought the young mids supporting her did pretty well - Miller is looking good. Grieve and Stewart will build confidence. Strom was awesome for her first game - she got better as the game progressed. Kara Antonio was solid without impacting as much as she can - she was vocal and leading though! Ebony didn't have her best game - she rarely goes two games in a row without dominating :)

Any win is always good in the first round. Derby is going to be great!

I saw Mark Duffield's AFLW analysis is now up. Anyone got the article text. Dale147 Van_Dyke

Don't know how much the wind played into some of the skill slip-ups (hopefully it's just early season cobwebs) but jeez there's a lot to be excited about.

Roux might be one of the more unique footballers I've ever seen in terms of the role she's playing.

definitely seemed to at the ground

the throw ins were blowing all over also

I saw Mark Duffield's AFLW analysis is now up. Anyone got the article text. Dale147 Van_Dyke
Sabreena Duffy take a bow.
When Geelong threatened to pinch Sunday’s AFLW season opener at Fremantle Oval, Duffy’s brilliant finishing skills iced this game with three minutes left.
It was the last of four goals for Duffy and the best of them. It was also a nerve settler for a Dockers team that backs itself to kick winning scores and until Duffy intervened, hadn’t, despite dominating field position.
Duffy, Roxy Roux and Mim Strom give Fremantle a lot to look forward to. Coach Trent Cooper loves talent ahead of the ball and with Roux, Duffy and Gemma Houghton forward the Dockers have real attacking power.
But if there is a question coach Cooper will ask it will be how Geelong stayed so close for so long with an inside fifty count that tilted 47-13 the home team’s way?
Geelong had brilliant intercept defenders and at times feasted on indiscriminate Dockers kicking. They also got numbers back to open space in their forward line.

But their way forward was also made easier at times by the Dockers allowing two or three Cats midfielders space inside the centre square on counter attack, leaving defenders vulnerable.
Ebony Antonio is Freo’s Ms Fix-it and after sending her forward last year to help create a potent forward line, Cooper may consider using her intercept nous at the other end to stiffen the defence.
This was a great game of AFLW highlighted by a brilliant Rochelle Cranston second quarter goal and superb goals kicked at the other end by Duffy and Roux.
When the Dockers needed sheer weight of opportunity to win the game, Kiara Bowers emerged as the midfield powerhouse providing it. Bowers, the dash of Hayley Miller and a couple of big last quarter one-on-one wins by Ang Stannett and Evie Gooch when the Cats counter attacked, got this done.

We wondered whether the addition of the Eagles would thin the Dockers out and remove them from contention.
The performances of Roux, Strom and Duffy and the effort of Jasmin Stewart around the middle will settle nerves on that front but the loss of the experienced Steph Cain to what looked like a significant knee injury won’t help.

West Coast gave their fans a hell of a first quarter sizzle. But they ran out of gas before they could cook the sausage in Sunday’s 27-point loss to Collingwood in their first AFLW game.
If we look closer at what coach Luke Dwyer will like and not like about the game, the Eagles have done well in recruiting their midfield.
Parris Laurie will be a good get for them because she competes fiercely. Laurie more than held her own for most of the match against the taller Sharni Layton.
Emma Swanson was rock solid around the ball. Dana Hooker is class. Her ability to find the first clear ball from scrimmages was a hallmark of her play with Fremantle and it was on display again yesterday. West Coast’s only goal came from it. Hooker reads contested ball like a book and doesn’t flinch when pressure comes.
Imahra Cameron is exciting and will get better. West Coast have the basis of a competitive midfield and can build around these four. They all but halved contested possession stats, split the inside fifty count and had the ball in their forward half more than the Magpies.
But as former Adelaide coach Bec Goddard told us at the weekend, stats are like budgie smugglers — they show a lot but not everything.

In the developing, low-scoring AFLW product, players who can make something good happen in attack and stop something bad happening in defence are defending are priceless. The great defenders are worth as much or more than the great forwards.
Brisbane’s Kate Lutkins was like a human wall in her team’s win over Adelaide on Saturday. Conversely the Crows missed the injured Chelsea Randall’s superb defence as much as Erin Phillips’ attacking flair.
West Coast lacked both against Collingwood. They didn’t get maximum value from their great first term, then goals for Collingwood tended to just “happen” from then on.

One thing I forgot to dive into in my write-up yesterday was Hayley Miller. She had 7 clearances to go with her 17 disposals! I'd be a little surprised if that wasn't the most clearances by a player in rd 1.

Most exciting though was the many times she burst away from the stoppage with some of those clearances. Both Strom and Roux did some incredible long range taps to hit her at full flight. So we've got a (just turned) 24 year old Miller (one of the fastest players in AFLW) getting taps to advantage on the run from two 18 year rucks in their first ever AFLW game. If that doesn't get you excited about not just this season but future seasons then I'm not sure what will? That chemistry is only going to get stronger over the coming games and then we'll be saying "Hooker? who is dat again?".

Probably also didn't give Jasmin Stewart enough credit on debut either. She spent most of her time on ball and did a great job - and that left boot of hers was a weapon on several occasions. Grieve was solid as well (she set the bar high in the WC practice match though) and we've still got Matilda Sargeant to come back in (who has a massive ceiling imo). I'm expecting we might see Bianca Webb debuting next week with Cain out. Interestingly I don't think Kara Antonio lined up in the middle once yesterday - played mostly on the wing. The reason might be Cooper wanting to expose the younger mids by giving more opportunity on ball. Nice wild card to have up your sleeve though! Rohde will be a good pick up also - she did some good things and she's neat - can see her increasing her impact after she reviews her game with the coaches. If she can allow us to use Sharp forward more that'll be a really good thing.

Ange Stannett was another stand out for me and should have been in the bests for anyone watching closely. She was brilliant in defence. Gooch, Cuthbertson, Clifford, Seth and Pugh all pretty solid throughout the game but Ange was in another class yesterday. I don't think anyone deserves to be dropped for next week. Flood and Pugh are the possibilities imo but I'd probably stick with just the one change for the derby (given WC don't really have any decent tall forwards we don't really need more KPDs).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exciting team you have there. I'd happily pay a full admission fee to watch Gemma Houghton play each week. What a wonderful athlete.
If Gemma can control her "rush of blood" moments when she has the ball, she could very will be top 3 in the comp. And as you say she is a wonderful athlete. I may as well stick my neck out and state she is comfortably the best all-round athlete in the game. Agile, quick and a good leap. And tough with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back