Preview Expectations for the season

At a minimum. We've known for a while, that our list profile (age and games played) was indicative of a team that should be contending, yet our results under Scott post 2016 have created a false image that we are once again punching above our weight just to win 10 games. Shaw's win/loss record, the manner in which we've played and some close losses (eg Essendon and Brisbane) and a relatively healthy list at this point should mean finals is a pass mark. But I hope Shaw's ambitions to go better than that has rubbed on the players. We should be aiming to be winning finals games.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
At a minimum. We've known for a while, that our list profile (age and games played) was indicative of a team that should be contending

There's quite a few here that don't actually believe that!!!

Personally, I have no doubt whatsoever that the side under performed last year, much of that due to inept tactics & strategies.

There's quite a few here that don't actually believe that!!!

Personally, I have no doubt whatsoever that the side under performed last year, much of that due to inept tactics & strategies.
The only legitimate argument against that is our depth may not quite be up to it, but our best 25 should be a top 6 side. The depth issue has largely been addressed as well over the past 18 months. No excuses as far as I am concerned.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The only legitimate argument against that is our depth may not quite be up to it, but our best 25 should be a top 6 side. The depth issue has largely been addressed as well over the past 18 months. No excuses as far as I am concerned.

Only when it comes to the midfield where one or two injuries can start to bite, and of course our significant reliance on Goldy (fingers crossed).

We're well insulated in most other areas, although pace is still a slight issue.

If we can keep Goldstein, Cunnington, Higgins and Tarrant on the park all season then we should be playing finals. No doubt about it.

Only when it comes to the midfield where one or two injuries can start to bite, and of course our significant reliance on Goldy (fingers crossed).

We're well insulated in most other areas, although pace is still a slight issue.

If we can keep Goldstein, Cunnington, Higgins and Tarrant on the park all season then we should be playing finals. No doubt about it.
Probably add Brown to that list

Asifhe Givashe

All Australian
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Beat the saints and get on a roll...

We could be 8-2 or 2-8, depends very much on our readiness for round 1.

One of McKay or Durdin really stepping up is super critical to our long term fortunes.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
On the positive side we are seeing all the benefits of a new coach via a fresh approach to training plus our good core of youngsters seem to have picked up from where they left off last year. Also we don't seem to have a large amount of underdone players and Maj and Bailey are like new recruits.

However as we all know games of AFL are largely won by how your midfield performs and to me the jury is still out as to whether we can match it with the best teams in this area.

I like the idea of having 8-10 players run through there but with BJ not able to get back on the park I struggle to see how we will improve on the defensive parts of our mid field game.

Our forward line looks potent and that by itself will mean we are not a 'bottom 4' side - however to make the 8 we will need to see major improvements in our midfield structure and workrate.

Apr 24, 2011
Greek Islands
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interesting season coming up thats for sure. I liked how Shaw took over the reins and changed the style, game plan and mentality of the team. Was a real breath of fresh air. Some of our football esp against Richmond and Collingwood was frightening, however both those sides where ‘down’ at the time so I can’t get overly excited. Whether this overall improvement was the new coach factor and Shaw getting more out of the players than Scott did towards the end time will tell.
The ingredients are there to have a good season. We a a good solid bunch of 5-10 year players and know what they can produce now. The key is for players like Simpkin, Larkey, LDU, Thomas, Zurhaar, Scott etc to raise their game and become as close to A graders as they possibly can. If a couple of them step up and our senior guys do their job then I expect us to play finals.
A few things I’d like to see is for us to fly out of the blocks, make a statement early on and for us to play every game like our lives depend on it not like the bullshit ’we’re on a journey‘ mentality we had under Scott. At times losing didn’t really matter because it was part of his overall long term plan and his desire to shield players from criticism and create well rounded human beings instead.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interesting comment from Dumont on radio on Friday. Apparently the running load over preseason has been significantly greater than he has seen before, so hopefully this translates to less fade outs and more manic pressure for longer.

Apparently Cunners was challenged to run harder and has responded.

If this is indeed the case then 👍

Back