Nathan Fyfe vs Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Who’s to say eh? You are using a hypothetical to justify Fyfe is better in Grand Finals. I’m using facts and what the two have achieved on the biggest stage.
I've never said Fyfe is better in GFs, I've only said that you dismissing Fyfe over Martin because one can has performed in GFs and one hasn't is flawed given the different stages of their careers that they were at when they've had the opportunity. Fyfe has showed that he can perform in big and high pressure games in the past (remember that the GF isn't the only "big game" that you can play each year) and to base his ability to bring it when it matters over one performance is a dumb approach.

I've never said Fyfe is better in GFs, I've only said that you dismissing Fyfe over Martin because one can has performed in GFs and one hasn't is flawed given the different stages of their careers that they were at when they've had the opportunity. Fyfe has showed that he can perform in big and high pressure games in the past (remember that the GF isn't the only "big game" that you can play each year) and to base his ability to bring it when it matters over one performance is a dumb approach.
Read my posts. I believe Fyfes the dominant home and away player in the comp. Dusty is the dominant finals and big game player in the comp. Not sure what there is to argue about really.

Dusty is probably first picked, if you could pick any player in history, in a finals game.

Speak for yourself.
In a game played decades ago and star players were niggled all day long, some gave you far superior performances in finals than what Martin's achieved so far. That is no blight on Martin but he has played one game where he's well and truly busted the game apart to been the sole difference in the match. That game was this year against Brisbane at the Gabba where had 10 score involvements to go along with 6 goals straight.

How many finals were decided by the likes of Carey, Jarman, Ablett Snr, Hird, Kernahan, Brereton or other champions? Martin's still got a while to go.

Dusty. In the one's that matter, he's risen and proved he's the best.

1 Charlie, 2 Norm Smith's and 2 flags as opposed to 2 Brownlows. Again, he's proven he's the best big game player going around.

Dusty easily. Dusty anyone by the length of the Flemington Straight.

I don't see enough of Fyfe to be an expert on him
but clearly a class act and is the small handful of players vying for best of their era (hence this thread)

and as a Richmond supporter I see plenty of , and watch Dusty closely

for contested ground ball and ball wining in heavy traffic Fyfe is ahead of Dusty

for exiting a pack with the ball I'd have Dusty ahead due to pace and slipperiness

for pack marking Fyfe is well ahead , with one on one its wither even or slight advantage to Dusty

for pin point passing in traffic by hand or foot I would have Dusty well ahead
I've been at games when has hit someone , lace out , 50 mtrs away , while he was evading tacklers
I've piped up and said aloud , no one else on the ground could have done that
I'm usually met with a chorus of "YES"

Dusty have had the priviledged situation to be in a top side for the last 3 years
and seems to hold himself back and inject himself when the side needs it and is a genuine match influencer

Unfortunately for Fyfe and the Freo of the last 3 years he's had to work hard at the coalface

If I was the recruitment manager for a new franchise I'd take either in a heart beat
If I was forced to take 1 I'd go with Dusty because I have knowledge of his skills

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eh - Fyfe, Dusty, Danger and now Cripps & Bontempelli are all stars and you could throw a blanket over all 5 IMO. Fyfe the best if forced to pick.

None are the "stand out midfielder" like Gaz Jnr was during that 2007 - 2014 run where he was miles better than the next mid.
Lol @ lumping Cripps and Bont with Danger, Fyfe and Martin.

1. Martin/Fyfe
2. Danger

Daylight

3. Cripps/Bont

Different players. Similar ability to influence a game. I personally think Dusty's peak is higher than anyone else in the game currently. But overall, both champions and will go down as all time stars.

Different players. Similar ability to influence a game. I personally think Dusty's peak is higher than anyone else in the game currently. But overall, both champions and will go down as all time stars.
Fair opinion, i think Dusty is definitely more of a game breaker but Fyfe in 2015 is the single highest peak i have ever seen in my time from an individual not named Gary Ablett.

Dusty the match winner and a mid/fwd
Fyfe is more of a complete midfielder thans Dusty.

As good as Dusty is, he is a one way runner and it shits me to tears.

Fyfe also has leadership. Tough to split them IMO, although Dusty has NS's and that is usually a massive influence when deciding which player is better.

Weird comment when he had a better disposal efficiency and less clangers on average than Dustin Martin in 2019.
Fyfes Grand final goal kicking efficiency is what he may have been referring to.
Martnis good but if you had to choose between the 2 to make your team a better all round side you'd have to take Fyfe.
Yeah fair enough. Must have been a very tough decision for you? So much hate and jealousy towards both.

Weird comment because anyone who has any idea about AFL knows those 2 stats aren't a great way to judge someone's kicking.

You should probably follow that up with something that IS a good way to judge someone's kicking then, rather than just throw stones.

Fact of the matter is, Fyfe's kicking ability has been greatly played down due to the first quarter of the 2013 GF.

Fyfes Grand final goal kicking efficiency is what he may have been referring to.

Yeah fair enough. Must have been a very tough decision for you? So much hate and jealousy towards both.
Would be an odd criticism, having a go at a guy for playing a pretty good game 7 years ago when he was 21 years old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back