Do any photos or videos from the 1990 exhibition match between Geelong and Port exist?

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Perhaps the tv networks may be the only last hope.
Very surprised this game wasn't kept. The Port Adelaide side at the time was a champion outfit with some brilliant players listed.

Jack_1870

Premium Gold
Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Timmy Ginever changed the words from the song "Taking Care Of Business'' to ''Taking Care of Geelong Cats",for that match,to this day it's still the only way I'll sing it :)

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Off topic but does anyone remember the mid season game against Essendon - 1993/4/5? I reckon it was the first time I ever went to Footy Park. Might have done it 2 years in a row during Essendon's byes?

We also played a mid season game in Canberra vs a combined ACT team, pretty sure 1995. And a pre-season game vs NT at some stage as well.

Wish I kept all the articles from those games!

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Does anyone know what date this trial match took place?
I have looked everywhere on the internet, no date or game details at all.
Have spoken to John Cahill just last week and he can't remember coaching the Magpies against Geelong in a preseason game.

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port 2.5 3.8 10.10 14.14 98
Geel 3.4 12.8 15.14 22.18 150

Best: D.Smith, Brown, Williams, Settre, Phillips, Crerar, Fiacchi, Ginever
Goals: Settre 2.5, D.Smith 2.1, Hynes, Hodges 2.1, Borlase 2.0, Williams 1.1, Wanganeen, Hutton, Tregenza 1.0

I remember that crerar, I thought he was going to be something special, then just dropped away.

And was never heard of again

artvinder

Draftee
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Does anyone know what date this trial match took place?
I have looked everywhere on the internet, no date or game details at all.
Have spoken to John Cahill just last week and he can't remember coaching the Magpies against Geelong in a preseason game.

It *may* have been Brian Fairclough who coached that day. I think John was ill and Brian took over the reins. Memory is a bit hazy so don't take it for gospel.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
1582104073597.png

I remember that crerar, I thought he was going to be something special, then just dropped away.

Kept dislocating his kneecap. Prototype tall athletic wingman with blistering speed.

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

My work sent me to do a first aid course a few years ago and got talking to the guy next to me about footy.
The talk quickly turned to Ports as it tends to do with me, and then he told me that he used to play for Port

The guy turned out to be Peter Crerar. His work also sent him to do the training. Neither of us wanted to be there so we talked footy all day
Told me lots of stories about the Port blokes of that era. Top bloke and loved to talk about his footy days. Still actively loves Port
I reckon he was just happy that someone knew who he was... lol

Last edited:

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Having spoke with one of the media guru's at Port Adelaide today, it appears no footage was ever kept of this match.
The fact Port Adelaide lost, and being a preseason hitout, probably makes sense nothing was kept.

Having heard from someone who recorded the evening news that day, highlights of the game were televised in Geelong. Would have also been televised in SA too.

If the exact day of the game was known, I would be able to follow it up with the relevant news broadcasts. 10 Eyewitness News and 7's National News kept a lot of their broadcasts in library and exist to this day.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Having spoke with one of the media guru's at Port Adelaide today, it appears no footage was ever kept of this match.
The fact Port Adelaide lost, and being a preseason hitout, probably makes sense nothing was kept.

Having heard from someone who recorded the evening news that day, highlights of the game were televised in Geelong. Would have also been televised in SA too.

If the exact day of the game was known, I would be able to follow it up with the relevant news broadcasts. 10 Eyewitness News and 7's National News kept a lot of their broadcasts in library and exist to this day.
There's a very short snippet of the game at the 2 minute mark of the AFL bid video - Goals by Simon Tregenza and Gavin Wanganeen.

Edit: and this

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Any Port Adelaide supporters have old footy tapes sitting around somewhere?
Possibly a recorded video of this particular game.

Any Port Adelaide supporters have old footy tapes sitting around somewhere?
Possibly a recorded video of this particular game.

It wasn’t televised. SA-FM were promoting it heavily and I think covered it that day, which added to the novelty given they were a popular music station.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
It wasn’t televised. SA-FM were promoting it heavily and I think covered it that day, which added to the novelty given they were a popular music station.

Ok.
I do know there was a news report that evening which showed highlights of the game. Unfortunately, I can't find the exact date of the game.

Ok.
I do know there was a news report that evening which showed highlights of the game. Unfortunately, I can't find the exact date of the game.

Yeah, clearly a camera crew went down there to film snippets for the 6 o’clock news but that was the limit unfortunately

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Starting to get a little closer to finding this game.
Found some photos at least. One of which is a snap shot of the flukey goal he kicked from the pocket.

thumbnail_16001928777641904824789.jpg

thumbnail_16001922620712136082413.jpg

I have sent out a lot of feelers so fingers crossed this game eventually turns up somewhere.

Surely there was a Cats supporter living in Adelaide at the time who happened press the record button when this game was televised.

70sDinosaur

Premiership Player
May 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Off topic but does anyone remember the mid season game against Essendon - 1993/4/5? I reckon it was the first time I ever went to Footy Park. Might have done it 2 years in a row during Essendon's byes?

We also played a mid season game in Canberra vs a combined ACT team, pretty sure 1995. And a pre-season game vs NT at some stage as well.

Wish I kept all the articles from those games!
I went to the mid-season game against Essendon in 1993. It was played at night in mid-week. I think it was a couple of weeks after the famous Essendon-Geelong game at the MCG where Ablett kicked 14 goals and Salmon kicked 10 (I was also at that game, having been in Melbourne on a work trip that week).

My memory of the Port-Esendon game is that Essendon kicked away early and had a comfortable lead most of the night before Port made a late charge and went down by about two goals.

I remember also that Tim Watson played in that game. I think it was his first game back after he decided to come out of retirement. Essendon went on to win the premiership that year.

Back