What would happen if a season was cancelled ?

Remove this Banner Ad

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is not a thread to discuss Corona virus per say but what would be the repercussions for the game if the AFL had to call off a season for any reason ?

Interested to hear your thoughts

Depends on the reason why the season got cancelled. If it was say for the coronavirus, zombie apocalypse, nuclear war or something of that magnitude, then I daresay the world has bigger things to worry about then getting their footy fix.

If it was for another lower level reason say a players strike, then the AFL could be liable for a lot of money (broadcast, sponsorships etc) depending on how their contracts are structured.

If there was a Zombie apocalypse which team do people think would improve?? Or maybe - which player on your list would a Zombie be a vast improvement on?? It's late . . . . . . . .

Last edited:
It'd have to be something pretty intense. I mean they played through both previous world wars, even if it was in a reduced capacity with less teams?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It'd have to be something pretty intense. I mean they played through both previous world wars, even if it was in a reduced capacity with less teams?
Indeed they did which was a subject of much discussion re appropriateness. Geelong didn’t field a team for a couple of years WW2 because of transport restrictions

I think the only thing that would stop a season is if Melbourne itself was under direct attack - say, invasion (cue interstate whinging - 'Waah! Vic Bias!! We want to be invaded, too!!':cool:). If Australia was fighting in a serious overseas war, I think the football would still go on to keep some semblance of normal life in the general population (as it did in WWI & II.).
In the case of a severe disease and massive quarantine restrictions on travel, the afl could put together teams of players who were certified non-infectious and play televised games behind closed doors. Similar in the case of a severe earthquake that destroyed roads and train lines. Transport may take a few months (or more) to get back to normal, but information networks could (and would) be restored in a few days.

So basically - we might cancel crowd attendance at games, but we'd still play them.

This is not a thread to discuss Corona virus per say but what would be the repercussions for the game if the AFL had to call off a season for any reason ?

Interested to hear your thoughts

Essendon supporters would claim they would have won the premiership.

Indeed they did which was a subject of much discussion re appropriateness. Geelong didn’t field a team for a couple of years WW2 because of transport restrictions

North was the casting vote to let you back in or something like that?

Untrue, as it would just provide even more opportunity for riveting main board threads like:

"The fucthure AFL make up when it restarts:

- Merge North, Dogs and Kilda Saints to form the Inner Melbourne Coffe Cups
- Two new teams on NSW Central Coast - sorry Meburou fans but footies biggerz than yor little club!!!!!!
- Games played on moons of Saturn"

Such crucial contents is clearly the lifeblood of BF.

Untrue, as it would just provide even more opportunity for riveting main board threads like:

"The fucthure AFL make up when it restarts:

- Merge North, Dogs and Kilda Saints to form the Inner Melbourne Coffe Cups
- Two new teams on NSW Central Coast - sorry Meburou fans but footies biggerz than yor little club!!!!!!
- Games played on moons of Saturn"

Such crucial contents is clearly the lifeblood of BF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back