The off topic thread 4.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go, wokie alert
I haven't seen either film but I've heard only positive things about both.
I'm more excited to see 1917. But until I've seen them (in fact, all the nominations) I can't really judge which should have won, can I?

I haven't seen either film but I've heard only positive things about both.
I'm more excited to see 1917. But until I've seen them (in fact, all the nominations) I can't really judge which should have won, can I?
See it in an IMAX theatre if you can.

1917 was robbed imo. Can’t imagine Parasite being a more deserving winner. Sounds like a political decision to keep the wokies from kicking off
What were the issues in Parasite? Do you struggle with movies with subtitles?

Watched them both. I personally preferred 1917 but Parasite is a very good film and I can see why it won, Bong Joon-Ho is a very clever director. If you haven’t seen Snowpiercer I’d recommend it, also by him.

What were the issues in Parasite? Do you struggle with movies with subtitles?

He hasn’t seen it, but he’s pre-emptively decided because it‘s not in his language it mustn’t be any good and must have received token votes, which is one of the dumber, more racist things he’s come out with in a while now that I think about it.

Watched them both. I personally preferred 1917 but Parasite is a very good film and I can see why it won, Bong Joon-Ho is a very clever director. If you haven’t seen Snowpiercer I’d recommend it, also by him.

He hasn’t seen it, but he’s pre-emptively decided because it‘s not in his language it mustn’t be any good and must have received token votes, which is one of the dumber, more racist things he’s come out with in a while now that I think about it.

You said it not me. :)

I've been meaning to see Parasite for ages now, but then again I've been meaning to see 1917 for ages too, so need to catch up on both. Snowpiercer I've heard is great so I'll certainly be checking it out too.

How stunning and brave of you to say so

Yeah great

I saw one of your friends complaining that Bong Joon Ho gave most of his Best Director speech in Korean so presume the subtext to the complaint is he should have learned/spoken English.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having to read substitutes clearly takes away from the overall experience of watching a film

I tend to agree with this, I don’t mind subtitle movies but for me it does take away the overall experience, and if I’m flicking through Netflix and start watching something and see it has subtitles I’ll just exit haha. Having said that though I loved Apocalypto directed by Mel Gibson which was a subtitle movie.

I tend to agree with this, I don’t mind subtitle movies but for me it does take away the overall experience, and if I’m flicking through Netflix and start watching something and see it has subtitles I’ll just exit haha. Having said that though I loved Apocalypto directed by Mel Gibson which was a subtitle movie.

Could you imagine if non-English speaking people felt the same way? Most of the greatest movies ever created are English and most of those don’t come with audio options in most languages so subtitles might be the next best thing and if that option isn’t available either, then those people are s**t out of luck. At least we can watch every film we like with English subtitles, like Parasite. Do you watch films with subtitles on or off, anyway?

I watch films with subtitles on and it is an all around better experience. Some actors mumble their lines and I would miss dialogue without subtitles so you find yourself reading anyway.

Could you imagine if non-English speaking people felt the same way? Most of the greatest movies ever created are English and most of those don’t come with audio options in most languages so subtitles might be the next best thing and if that option isn’t available either, then those people are s**t out of luck. At least we can watch every film we like with English subtitles, like Parasite. Do you watch films with subtitles on or off, anyway?

I watch films with subtitles on and it is an all around better experience. Some actors mumble their lines and I would miss dialogue without subtitles so you find yourself reading anyway.

Second day in a row of a bang on take from you. Very well said.

But on that topic I can see both sides, I find subtitles distracting at times, but I also feel like I pick up a lot more of the dialogue with them because as RPCB said, often actors mumble lines or they're hard to understand.

On the total flip side, has anyone seen The Artist?

I watch with subtitles off and don’t have any issue hearing what people are saying in the movie. Just a personal preference anyway.

I watch with subtitles off and don’t have any issue hearing what people are saying in the movie. Just a personal preference anyway.

That’s all cool man. One example is if you have ever watched “24”, Kiefer Sutherland mumbles/talks low quite a bit (he also seems to be out of breath a lot so that’s another challenge hearing what he is saying). So subtitles are essential for me to watch 24 and actually read what he is saying if it’s not audible enough. A few years ago I never watched movies with subtitles but now I can’t do without them.

That’s all cool man. One example is if you have ever watched “24”, Kiefer Sutherland mumbles/talks low quite a bit (he also seems to be out of breath a lot so that’s another challenge hearing what he is saying). So subtitles are essential for me to watch 24 and actually read what he is saying if it’s not audible enough. A few years ago I never watched movies with subtitles but now I can’t do without them.

Another example is when I'm trying to watch stuff at home, if people around me are talking or there are other background noises sometimes I'll miss things unless I can read the dialogue on the screen.

Im watching The Wire atm and I'd be f’ed without subtitles, plus one of my all time favourite movies is Pans Labyrinth which is subtitled.

I really need to re-watch the Wire because I just don't get the appeal. Like, it's good, but it's not GOAT for me, so I must be missing something. The school season is awesome though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back