Prediction Third club for Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

having lived in NSW for a period of nearly 6 years, I wouldn’t be surprised if a 3rd NSW team came through soon too. The Giants are definitely making inroads into the Swans market. The Swans Are still the best supported club ( in all sports codes in NSW) in terms of membership numbers in a highly competitive market. (Their crowd figures will attest to this) I see that you listed your based in a Newcastle, a team to represent Newcastle, or Wollongong/Sutherland Shire would give AFL a boost in NSW. I also feel a team to represent the North of Sydney May be a good idea, as there is currently no major sports code represented there since the North Sydney Bears because extinct. Both of those regions Newcastle and Wollongong have about 400,000 in their population. A bit similar to WA, until GWS win a premiership or 2 in the next decade or can gain crowds close to full houses at Giants Stadium, that’s when a talk of a 3rd team in NSW can come into discussion. It may sound a bit silly to say this but in terms of AFL interest and junior development , NSW and WA are almost on a par. But in terms of setting up a 3rd NSW team, I see thats it at least 15 years away.

If I was a betting person I would back Newcastle to get the next team after Tasmania.
- Huge growth area
- Has an International airport
- Grass roots are exploding here (women's and Juniors in particular)
- Great lifestyle and it would be particularly attractive to players long term living in places like Mereweather.

The Cardiff ground just had a big re-development and I have a feeling it will be further developed moving forward to a 15k stadium......

If I was a betting person I would back Newcastle to get the next team after Tasmania.
- Huge growth area
- Has an International airport
- Grass roots are exploding here (women's and Juniors in particular)
- Great lifestyle and it would be particularly attractive to players long term living in places like Mereweather.

The Cardiff ground just had a big re-development and I have a feeling it will be further developed moving forward to a 15k stadium......
I think Newcastle is probably crying out for a 3rd major sports code as well. Newcastle Falcons were a fail in the NBL. Generally speaking the Newcastle Knights in the NRL will still be the number 1 sport in that region. Newcastle Jets play during the summer season. Think with the fact that Isaac Heeney, drafted in 2014, a Newcastle born played (the first Newcastle born player ) as an example of how much AFL is penetrating into the NSW market. The TV coverage and AFL app means exposure into NSW is just the norm now. 25 years ago it probably would have been harder if not impossible for people in that region to get regular access to games.

Id still have a 3rd WA team ahead of a 3rd NSW team but the gap between the two is closing.

I think Newcastle is probably crying out for a 3rd major sports code as well. Newcastle Falcons were a fail in the NBL. Generally speaking the Newcastle Knights in the NRL will still be the number 1 sport in that region. Newcastle Jets play during the summer season. Think with the fact that Isaac Heeney, drafted in 2014, a Newcastle born played (the first Newcastle born player ) as an example of how much AFL is penetrating into the NSW market. The TV coverage and AFL app means exposure into NSW is just the norm now. 25 years ago it probably would have been harder if not impossible for people in that region to get regular access to games.

Id still have a 3rd WA team ahead of a 3rd NSW team but the gap between the two is closing.

The AFL are smart enough to know that to grow the game, they need to seriously challenge the NRL and are already making a serious dent in NSW.

They committed $100,000,000 to GWS over their initial 10 years and I dare say they are more than happy with the investment. To continue their dominance of domestic eyeballs they know that NSW/QLD need further development. Unfortunately Gold Coast was implemented so poorly they need another 10 yearsof nurturing.

The Knights and Jets are proof that the local population will get behind any local team even when mediocre. AFL Hunter Coast are doing a great job improving the leagues and getting into schools.

I am 90% positive Newcastle will have a team by the end of this decade.

Absolutely ridiculous why would any freo supporter even start a garbage thread like this?!
We are one flag away from setting this club up forever gaining a whole new generation of supporters and rewarding those that have been on this 25 year bumpy ride
A third club would be thrown the keys to the states talent endless priority picks and cash handouts until they won a flag!
The afl show little interest in us already
Moderators can this thread be deleted

...We are one flag away from setting this club up forever gaining a whole new generation of supporters and rewarding those that have been on this 25 year bumpy ride. A third club would be thrown the keys to the states talent endless priority picks and cash handouts until they won a flag! The afl show little interest in us already...

Last thing Freo needs, it would debilitate us. We havent the financial resources to withstand losing half of our membership to the new club. Wait till they start doing a GWS and play finals as they would with the concessions and endless handouts. It would probably cripple us ala the worst of the Vic clubs.

Any two of WA3, SA3 or TAS1 would create at least three new clubs to rely on AFL money, if it's an extra team for WA and SA then it will be Freo, WA3, Port and SA3 all dropping into financial reliance on the AFL in markets that are already tapped. I don't think there are new fans in WA or SA that a new club would capture that wouldn't already be captured by the existing clubs, which means we (the AFL) would be paying at least $25,000,000 extra per club for supporters they already have heading to them.

The issue has always been that there are nine clubs in Melbourne, plus Geelong down the road.

If the AFL wanted to throw a fox in the hen house they could announce a Melbourne team only side competition, totaling their results against each other during the premiership season for the next four years. Then the bottom two sides after those four years of performance both in membership and on field results are merged and become the Tasmanian side.

Nine sides fighting tooth and nail against others in the nine.

What the media tear itself apart.

Any two of WA3, SA3 or TAS1 would create at least three new clubs to rely on AFL money, if it's an extra team for WA and SA then it will be Freo, WA3, Port and SA3 all dropping into financial reliance on the AFL in markets that are already tapped. I don't think there are new fans in WA or SA that a new club would capture that wouldn't already be captured by the existing clubs, which means we (the AFL) would be paying at least $25,000,000 extra per club for supporters they already have heading to them.

The issue has always been that there are nine clubs in Melbourne, plus Geelong down the road.

If the AFL wanted to throw a fox in the hen house they could announce a Melbourne team only side competition, totaling their results against each other during the premiership season for the next four years. Then the bottom two sides after those four years of performance both in membership and on field results are merged and become the Tasmanian side.

Nine sides fighting tooth and nail against others in the nine.

What the media tear itself apart.
North kangaroos Darwin based 5-7 games
Western Bulldogs utilise north western vic play 5-7 in Ballarat
Geelong utilise Southwest vic
Hawthorn utilise Gippsland
One of saints and demons rebadged based in tassie play 4 in Hobart 4 in Launceston
The other team utilises the Bay Area
Would create a true national comp moved teams would still get at least 10 games in Melbourne for their existing supporters and remaining vic teams would be made to travel more for a more even comp
The initial gate taking loss will be a lot cheaper then starting a new team and in 25 years comp it would be an amazing thriving competition

You're still offering Tasmania less than half of an underperforming team and taking that off a lot of die hard fans.

If we get rebranded the Fremantle Nuggets and play 8 games a year in Kalgoorlie not a lot of existing fans are going to be happy about it.

You're still offering Tasmania less than half of an underperforming team and taking that off a lot of die hard fans.

If we get rebranded the Fremantle Nuggets and play 8 games a year in Kalgoorlie not a lot of existing fans are going to be happy about it.
I only get 4-5 games a year of my under performing team and have to pay for Foxtel to watch the rest I don’t complain there my team
Let them have 11 games in tassie 10 in vic 1 some where else
I’m sure if they were moved down there AFL house would give them an armchair ride with recruiting like the Gold Coast
Country cats supporters in western vic only have 7 home games to get to.
There is a lot of regional WA and SA supporters that pay more in fuel then it costs to fly Tullamarine to tassie

Last edited:
Absolutely ridiculous why would any freo supporter even start a garbage thread like this?!
We are one flag away from setting this club up forever gaining a whole new generation of supporters and rewarding those that have been on this 25 year bumpy ride
A third club would be thrown the keys to the states talent endless priority picks and cash handouts until they won a flag!
The afl show little interest in us already
Moderators can this thread be deleted
It's just a discussion point. No need to get upset, cast aspersions or censor the thread. Your points otherwise are ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My league of 20 teams in new alphabetical order.

Adelaide Crows = :adelaide:
Brisbane Lions =:brisbane:
Eastern Blues =:carlton:
Collingwood Magpies =:collingwood:
Essendon Bombers =:essendon:
Footscray Bulldogs =:bulldogs:
Fremantle Dockers =:freo:
Geelong Cats =:geelong:
Gold Coast Suns =:goldcoast:
Greater Western Sydney Giants =:gws:
Hawthorn Hawks =:hawthorn:
Melbourne Demons =:melbourne:
North Kangaroos =:north:
Port Adelaide =:port:
Richmond Tigers =:richmond:
St Kilda Saints =:stkilda:
Southern Sharks = downloadhvgj.jpg
Sydney Swans =:sydney:
Tasmanian Devils = rt2.jpg
Western Falcons =:westcoast:

Attachments

• rt2.jpg
    rt2.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 140
I’d prefer to kick out two Victorian teams and Gold Coast tbh and bring in Tasmania. St Kilda would be a certainty, North Melbourne probably survive based on the fact they’d move to Tasmania instead. Rename the Bulldogs West Melbourne - it’s confusing having four teams located west of the ‘Western Bulldogs’.

26 home and away season. Six sides make finals basically running under the current finals format (from week two). Less pre season to make it happen.

Will never happen because more games = more tv money but ultimately I’d much rather teams play each other the same amount of times as each other.

Respected sports columnist, Ryan Buckland has been lurking around this thread I reckon.

He supports the view of a 3rd licence to WA, on the proviso that Tasmania get that 19th licence.

Ryan Buckland: Why a third team makes sense for WA if the AFL opts to expand into Tasmania

Interesting reading in The West Australian online if anyone gets the chance to read it. Buckland says that NSW has the population to support a 3rd side, but do they have the interest?

I maintain that a third club in WA would be attempting to secure supporters already interested in football and already supporting a team. Most of the fans will need to fall off West Coast but I suspect that a higher percentage of members will be poached from Fremantle because West Coast has had some recent validating success to cement their fan base.

That could result in not just one club trying to find it's feet here, but two struggling financially.

How many years can the WAFC and the AFL afford to pay $30m x 2 = $60m a year to support two clubs in WA?

Compare that to the current situation where Fremantle doesn't need top up payments to stay afloat and you could be looking at spending half a billion dollars putting a third AFL team in WA before it starts to look after itself.

If they are smart they will appeal to the West Coast supporter's desire to see the Dockers do worse, marketing the memberships of WA3 as "another chance to beat the Dockers" and try and fill the stadium with Eagle supporters - but I don't expect that to ever translate into actual supporters who contribute financially to the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back