Multiplat The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Tales of a legendary card playing, camomile drinking adventurer

How do you feel about Gwent?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

On Death March you're somewhat restricted in exploring straight away though. I don't mind if they're red levels, it's just the skulls and lack of health regen abilities. I usually set off to Keira's mission straight away because that's an instant few levels then I'm pretty much free anywhere south of river and north of the southern islandy bit. Never played with the Gourmet skill as when Blood and Wine came out I already had a full adrenaline build. It is ridiculously OP and I'm considering actually taking it off lol. It's making the points invested in signs for Quen absolutely worthless now. May as well go even more OP and swap them for alchemy on top of adrenaline so I can run Ekhidna and/or Ekimmara decoction at the same time and be pretty much immortal.

That explains it. I never play on Death March.

That explains it. I never play on Death March.

It's really worth it, and I'm not saying that in a "git gud" sort of way. Starts off a bit tough and you have to dodge spam and burn through food, but it gets more managable very quickly. Especially when you start getting some decent gear and the oils you need. It's probably the easiest 'hard' game I've ever played. I've dropped the difficulty before for other play throughs but it feels kind of silly just button mashing through everything.

If you're to start another fresh game in the future I really recommend trying it on Death March at least for a few hours and see what you think.

I'm early on in Velens now. Been enjoying it but feel a little lost. Don't want to play the main story just yet but at only level 5 I feel I can't really do a whole lot just yet. Just spoke to the Bloody Baron, been playing a bit of Gwent where I can but still trying to build up my decks.

It opened right up once at the Crows Nest. Up to 20 hours and have done * all of the main quests and still barely explored. I can see how you can sink a lot of time into this.

Have a fairly decent Northern Realms deck now and almost a full Nilf deck.

Have a fairly decent Northern Realms deck now and almost a full Nilf deck.

Dunno what others think, but for me, nothing beats a Northern Realms deck.

Northern Realms siege deck carried me through. Have to admit I relied on it a bit much so struggled a little in Blood and Wine when I was forced to use some other decks haha.

Trying something slightly different on my current playthrough to change it up but will go back to old faithful if it doesn't work. Trying to build a deck of hero + tight bond cards. So far it's looking like Nilfgaard deck is the best way to go for this, but probably won't deploy it until I get the Emhyr card that cancels other leader card to counter the Eredin card that buffs melee cards. Reckon that's the most brutal deck to play against early, AI that has a monster deck full of muster cards and Eredin to buff them.

Monster decks can be almost impossible if you don't draw well in the early to mid-game. Once your deck gets to a pretty decent power range they are easier to handle. I hate starting a game and the opponent is using monsters.

Siegemaster card was a game changer for me. Really started to smash opponents when I got that. Mind you, I've only played the Velen Gwent club players and random people around the area. And that Nilf nobleman in the courtyard who was a bitch to play early on.

Had one game where I was rocking 4x 7 point siege cards, doubled with the siege master and the bastard played a scourge card (I think that's the card?) and wiped them all out.

I think I'll stick with that for the most part, but interested in trying out other decks when I can.

Siegemaster card was a game changer for me. Really started to smash opponents when I got that. Mind you, I've only played the Velen Gwent club players and random people around the area. And that Nilf nobleman in the courtyard who was a bitch to play early on.

Had one game where I was rocking 4x 7 point siege cards, doubled with the siege master and the bastard played a scourge card (I think that's the card?) and wiped them all out.

I think I'll stick with that for the most part, but interested in trying out other decks when I can.

You've probably worked it out but it's good to bait scorch cards out first when using a siege deck that will have a lot of buffed normal cards. That's like it can be beneficial to throw a round against a monster deck by baiting out as many muster cards as possible.

You've probably worked it out but it's good to bait scorch cards out first when using a siege deck that will have a lot of buffed normal cards. That's like it can be beneficial to throw a round against a monster deck by baiting out as many muster cards as possible.
The trouble early on is simply not knowing what cards there are. When they played that scorch card I was like "WTF just happened?!". I think I've picked up when to concede a round and how to manage my cards for subsequent rounds, I've won more than I've lost but probably haven't played anyone particularly hard yet (other than the nobleman).

All this Gwent talk and no mention of spies and decoys? They became the backbone of my victories. The Nilfgaard deck with spies left right and centre...no one was beating me.

Spies and decoys are where it is at. Also medics so you can get the spies back out of the graveyard.

The trouble early on is simply not knowing what cards there are. When they played that scorch card I was like "WTF just happened?!". I think I've picked up when to concede a round and how to manage my cards for subsequent rounds, I've won more than I've lost but probably haven't played anyone particularly hard yet (other than the nobleman).

If I go first, I usually just concede the first round straight out without playing anything. Although, if I have any spies in my opening hand, I'll always play them on the round I intend to concede. If I go second, I'll play a card of greater value than my opponent to make them play another card or 2 and then concede- unless they concede first on a small total.

Usually, a game goes like this for me:

Round 1- I concede straight out

Round 2- opponent concedes quickly after playing a couple of cards

Round 3- go all out but try to bait the inevitable scorch before really building up the board.

Also, once you start building up your deck, don't waste your card slots on weather cards except maybe have a clear weather or 2 in there if you are not using the leader with the clear weather effect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spies and decoys are where it is at. Also medics so you can get the spies back out of the graveyard.

If I go first, I usually just concede the first round straight out without playing anything. Although, if I have any spies in my opening hand, I'll always play them on the round I intend to concede. If I go second, I'll play a card of greater value than my opponent to make them play another card or 2 and then concede- unless they concede first on a small total.

Usually, a game goes like this for me:

Round 1- I concede straight out

Round 2- opponent concedes quickly after playing a couple of cards

Round 3- go all out but try to bait the inevitable scorch before really building up the board.

Also, once you start building up your deck, don't waste your card slots on weather cards except maybe have a clear weather or 2 in there if you are not using the leader with the clear weather effect.

I was the opposite. I would play whatever spies I had and if they decoyed my spies I would decoy them and play them back but would make sure I won the first round.

Then in the second round I would play my weakest cards to try and draw out the other players best to waste their cards and then I'll concede.

Then last round go all out. With the Northern realms deck I'd just use the cards with the tight bond effect and commanders horns and would usually beat everyone by around 100.

Even just collecting Gwent cards is addictive. Went to go to bed at midnight, found a quest where I could get a few, quickly played that, opened up another quest where I could get a few more, before I know it it's 1am. Need 1 more card to complete my Monsters deck, the other 3 decks are fairly decent.

Yen and Triss cards should be worth more. Yen at least comes with the Medic perk, but still.

Also, I really should have played this game earlier. Don't know if it's best game ever material just yet, but it's definitely worth playing!

Whoever thought it'd be a great idea to chuck in 60+ smugglers crates around Skellige which you can only get to with a slow shitty boat needs to be shot! That s**t is so ******* tedious.

Seeing "Tyrion" in the sky jail was cool. And meeting the bounty hunter Djenga Frett. Shame you can't bone the goat chick. Is that weird?

Whoever thought it'd be a great idea to chuck in 60+ smugglers crates around Skellige which you can only get to with a slow shitty boat needs to be shot! That s**t is so ******* tedious.

Seeing "Tyrion" in the sky jail was cool. And meeting the bounty hunter Djenga Frett. Shame you can't bone the goat chick. Is that weird?

Those stupid ocean crates are the only thing in this game I never completed. Just absurd.

Pretty sure I got them all. Bit tedious sure but I don't remember having a big issue with it.
I'll end up getting them all as I have a weird thing about competing these type of things in open world games, but I won't enjoy it!

Back