Champion Data’s List & Player Ratings - An Accurate Tool or Total Fabrication ??

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
No but kicking goals is a very valuable asset to have as a midfielder and one which often distinguishes the best from the very best.
Hunter is a star. An absolute gun of a footballer but in my eyes, he's no different to a Trent Cotchin. Terrific player but not an x factor.

North Melbourne have Higgins and Polec. They win their own footy but also contribute on the scoreboard. While I do not for a second think Polec is a better player than Hunter, I do believe his game (coupled with that of Higgins), hurts a team like the Western Bulldogs more so than most given the Bulldogs are rather one dimensional inside and out.
Bontempelli had 42 scoring shots compared to 28 from Polec and Dunkley kicked 11 goals.

Nice try troll.

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Ben Jacobs is still one of the best.

The guy who played:
0 games in 2019
13 games in 2018
0 games in 2017
7 games in 2016

Who knows if he'll even play? The game changes quickly, will he still be able to keep up?

Ziebell and Cunnington are elite contested footballers

Cunnington most definitely, Ziebell definitely not - Andrew Gaff averaged more Contested Possessions than Ziebell last year!

Higgins and Polac are exceptional outside runners and finishers (who at the Dogs is similar?).

The dogs have JJ, Hunter and Lipinski who's improving.
Their mids are also very good both inside and out.

Add in depth such as Dumont, Pittard and Hall, whom all average over 18 disposals per game, and you have a pretty serious midfield.

Hall is an inconsistent rubbish footballer, I don't know enough about Dumont to give a strong opinion and Pittard I'm pretty sure is classified as a defender.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Bontempelli had 42 scoring shots compared to 28 from Polec and Dunkley kicked 11 goals.

Ziebell cancels out Bontempelli as he scores same number of goals as Bont.

The guy who played:
0 games in 2019
13 games in 2018
0 games in 2017
7 games in 2016

Who knows if he'll even play? The game changes quickly, will he still be able to keep up?

And when he has played, he's been one of the best taggers in the comp. De Boer was injury-prone in his final season at Freo before GWS took a punt on him and he's turned out alright for them.

Cunnington most definitely, Ziebell definitely not - Andrew Gaff averaged more Contested Possessions than Ziebell last year!

Ziebell is elite. He now has the runs on the board. You can count on him to be in the best players for the season at the club.
I don't care if another player such as Andre Gaff averaged more contested possessions!
Ziebell averaged 20.5 disposals & 1 goal a game last year.

Do you consider Yeo's 23 disposals & 0.5 goals per game last year to be elite? Yes, of course you do.

The dogs have JJ, Hunter and Lipinski who's improving.
Their mids are also very good both inside and out.

I already mentioned JJ in my initial post. Tremendous attacking weapon on the outside but he's the only one they have.
North Melbourne have a couple of those types as we have discussed.

Hall is an inconsistent rubbish footballer, I don't know enough about Dumont to give a strong opinion and Pittard I'm pretty sure is classified as a defender.

Perhaps he is rubbish but as I said, he is depth. Same as Dumont and Pittard.
Those depth players average 18+ disposals a game which probably beats anything the Dogs have for depth.

Actually Geelong and Hawks stopped teams getting it inside the def 50 and once there they didn't let them score much either so exposing the defence isn't what happened. Look at table below for example.

The ranking on champion data for defenders is all about those possession numbers it seems rack up lots of and metres gained and your good rack up low to none (even if the oppo don't score ) is bad.

View attachment 821507
Great post.

Champion Data seems restricted in analyzing team performance.

getting that number 1 team ranking is the most important thing in the comp, fu** the premiership
Right up there with winning trade week.

I think they previously had some good reputation & credit, but the last few years it's dropped right off. Some of their elite list are players nowhere near it, but somehow qualify for some above average part of their game.

The team ones are also weird, I know for a fact that the Bulldogs do not have the 2nd best defence in the league. Geelong were also put too low, swap them & it's about right. Our midfield helps take the pressure off our defence as we are good at either controlling possession or at least putting pressure on the other teams mids that can't get clear chances too often for forward line delivery.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Actually Geelong and Hawks stopped teams getting it inside the def 50 and once there they didn't let them score much either so exposing the defence isn't what happened. Look at table below for example.

The ranking on champion data for defenders is all about those possession numbers it seems rack up lots of and metres gained and your good rack up low to none (even if the oppo don't score ) is bad.

View attachment 821507
So because the ball didn’t go into the Geelong backline often (and Hawthorn's to a lesser extent) they weren't able to run it out as often as the top rating defenses meaning they were ranked lower

aflfan1990

Draftee
Feb 12, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think this is a good explainer on the ratings.

It shows that there are a lot of subjective decisions that went into the model.

For example handballs changed value, while the model was LIVE!

Uncontested possessions still being worth 0 is amazing to me I think they should be rewarded.

I find it amazing that the SC scores match up better to brownlow and coaches votes, maybe the ranking of that is closer to what people think the afl player ratings should be?

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Champion Data have it spot on.
North Melbourne's midfield is one of the best in the comp and will be for a couple more years time.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh' how wrong I was Virgin Dog

giphy.gif

Back