The on topic thread 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't drink at football grounds so standing wont be as good as it is in other sports like AFL or Ruggers.

I will give it a go regardless.
It’ll be s**t. You won’t even be allowed to pack them in or allow those huge surges to occur ‘cos of elf & safety. Anyway can you imagine how the Tarquin’s of today’s world would cope being swept down half a terrace and suddenly finding their faces squashed up tight against some wire meshing? They’ll have to create safe zones for them I’d imagine

Not really strange, most people don’t want to stand, too used to sitting in comfort these days. Factor in that football in England is far more family orientated than before when it was boys and young men standing on the terraces. I’m from that era and have no desire to see it return

Most away games I attended the entire away following stood for the entire game, so no idea what you're talking about.

It’ll be s**t. You won’t even be allowed to pack them in or allow those huge surges to occur ‘cos of elf & safety. Anyway can you imagine how the Tarquin’s of today’s world would cope being swept down half a terrace and suddenly finding their faces squashed up tight against some wire meshing? They’ll have to create safe zones for them I’d imagine

Yeah because we really want another Hillsborough situation to occur without all that new fangled safety stuff?

Only to woke people who don't support spurs but get offended on their behalf. Their supporters chant yiddo and yid army all game.
I think he means it's derogatory to Jews.

Only to woke people who don't support spurs but get offended on their behalf. Their supporters chant yiddo and yid army all game.
Isnt it Jewish groups who want it stopped?

Plus dont Spurs fans get in trouble for using it outside of the Uk too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isnt it Jewish groups who want it stopped?

Plus dont Spurs fans get in trouble for using it outside of the Uk too.
The club actually want to ban the supporters using it. They ran a big review on our relationship with the word, and have basically concluded that although it was born out of honourable intentions, there no longer is a requirement for spurs fans to reclaim the word as there is no widespread anti Semitic chanting directed at Spurs anymore. They also concluded that younger fans chant it without having any understanding of why it was adopted in the first place.

Personally I can see both sides here. You know I’m not PC’s biggest fan but I recognise that standards shift all the time, and if it offends Jewish spurs fans (which apparently it’s a pretty equal split on that) then that’s a reason to ban our supporters using it. The club know banning us saying it though is nigh on impossible at this stage. I think the best they can hope for is that it eventually just gets phased out by the supporters themselves. Will that happen, probably not

The club actually want to ban the supporters using it. They ran a big review on our relationship with the word, and have basically concluded that although it was born out of honourable intentions, there no longer is a requirement for spurs fans to reclaim the word as there is no widespread anti Semitic chanting directed at Spurs anymore. They also concluded that younger fans chant it without having any understanding of why it was adopted in the first place.

Personally I can see both sides here. You know I’m not PC’s biggest fan but I recognise that standards shift all the time, and if it offends Jewish spurs fans (which apparently it’s a pretty equal split on that) then that’s a reason to ban our supporters using it. The club know banning us saying it though is nigh on impossible at this stage. I think the best they can hope for is that it eventually just gets phased out by the supporters themselves. Will that happen, probably not
Not really. Within the last year this has been from the club.

British soccer club Tottenham Hotspur said Wednesday that only “a total clampdown” on anti-Semitism would make it reassess club standards on its fans affectionately chanting an offensive term for Jews.

Tottenham said its fans “have never used the term with any offense,” adding that “a reassessment of its use can only occur effectively within the context of a total clampdown on unacceptable anti-Semitism.”

Not really. Within the last year this has been from the club.

So what, they're basically saying unless someone tells them to stop using it, they'll allow it? Bit weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back