AFL players to take pay cuts in order to carry the AFLW?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Remember when I told you all that this would happen?

This entire fabricated exercise is a P.C. money/power grabbing stunt.

I will also reiterate that there's plenty of players at Arden Street (and some of the football department staff) who are NOT Ben Brown.

They want the AFLW to pack up and piss off.

Click bait to include the AFLW in there its all about the next media rights deal which most likely won't be as high as the current deal.

Less media money =less player payments and has nothing at all to do with AFLW.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Click bait to include the AFLW in there its all about the next media rights deal which most likely won't be as high as the current deal.

Less media money =less player payments and has nothing at all to do with AFLW.

Okay, you think it's a wind up. We'll wait & see what happens.

I don't have a problem with women's footy existing at a certain level if there is enough demand. But I do have a problem with PC driven bullshit that is trying to pump it up with needless steam. Let's take EPL as an example, where the general culture isn't too dissimilar to ours. They do have the women's comp with the same clubs involved etc, but nobody is trying to artificially pretend that it generates the same interest as the men's football. The circus that we had during the combined jumper presentation is a farce that I personally do not want to see. Nor do I want to hear the mention of AFLW team when our senior coach is being interviewed or the CEO mentioning that Shaw attends AFLW games. FFS, we are hearing that Shaw doesn't have the time to attend his own kids school function (or whatever it was), yet in the same breath we are hearing how much of a supporter of AFLW side he is.

It's great that the AFL chose to introduce women's footy at AFL level, even though personally I think it was 10 years too soon, as the skills and players simply aren't ready for it, and would have done ok playing in the state league for some time. But be it as it may, stop plugging every hole with this PC stuff, as it is cringeworhy.

Let the women's game develop naturally without shoving it up everyone's throat.

I for one will be devastated if Jake Stringer has to take a cent less than he deserves so some flake like Jassy Garner can freeload off all he's done to grow the game.

Aug 21, 2011
Basement of the J. Edgar Hoover Building
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester City, Melbourne Victory
Majority of these women, especially the under 25s are slumming it at coffee shops, on top of that doing full uni loads.

They all haven't got footy department or club jobs like our dear captain Emma. (Not a slight, good on her.)

If anyone thinks they can make do on 13-18k for five months work, then whatever else they can hold down if their boss will allow them, by all means, come forward.

Thus is currently my favourite take doing the rounds.

"The AFLW should develop naturally"

"I never ever ever want to hear about it, even in passing, even as a softball question to a coach, they better not attend those games and stay out of my club when im there."

******* love it.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thus is currently my favourite take doing the rounds.

"The AFLW should develop naturally"

"I never ever ever want to hear about it, even in passing, even as a softball question to a coach, they better not attend those games and stay out of my club when im there."

******* love it.
STOP SHOVING THE AFLW DOWN MY THROAT SIMP

Remember when I told you all that this would happen?

This entire fabricated exercise is a P.C. money/power grabbing stunt.

I will also reiterate that there's plenty of players at Arden Street (and some of the football department staff) who are NOT Ben Brown.

They want the AFLW to pack up and piss off.

Name names.

Which players want the women’s team to pack up and piss off.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't have a problem with women's footy existing at a certain level if there is enough demand. But I do have a problem with PC driven bullshit that is trying to pump it up with needless steam. Let's take EPL as an example, where the general culture isn't too dissimilar to ours. They do have the women's comp with the same clubs involved etc, but nobody is trying to artificially pretend that it generates the same interest as the men's football. The circus that we had during the combined jumper presentation is a farce that I personally do not want to see. Nor do I want to hear the mention of AFLW team when our senior coach is being interviewed or the CEO mentioning that Shaw attends AFLW games. FFS, we are hearing that Shaw doesn't have the time to attend his own kids school function (or whatever it was), yet in the same breath we are hearing how much of a supporter of AFLW side he is.

It's great that the AFL chose to introduce women's footy at AFL level, even though personally I think it was 10 years too soon, as the skills and players simply aren't ready for it, and would have done ok playing in the state league for some time. But be it as it may, stop plugging every hole with this PC stuff, as it is cringeworhy.

Let the women's game develop naturally without shoving it up everyone's throat.

I feel like elite women's sport is a classic case of the Emporer's New Clothes. The sporting bodies like the AFL and Cricket Australia are trying to sell what is clearly an inferior product and the media all fall into line and talk it up as if it has equal standing to the elite level. If anyone dares to question they are shouted down by all and sundry, even when quoting facts. Like when McEnroe was pushed in an interview to label Serena Williams an all-time great and not qualify it with the female prefix. After he pointed out that in his opinion Williams wouldn't rank in the top 500 on the men's tour he was denounced by every woman and her dog.

I love sport more than the next man but have very little interest in watching women's sport. There are thousands of male footballers who are far better players than even the top ten percent of the women's game running around on the weekend for the love of the game. When the Matilda's, a top 10 team in women's international soccer, played the 15-year-old boy's development team from one of the A-league teams they were trounced 8 nil.

In what other facets of life do women demand to be paid equally not for doing the same job as a man, but a vastly inferior one?

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I feel like elite women's sport is a classic case of the Emporer's New Clothes. The sporting bodies like the AFL and Cricket Australia are trying to sell what is clearly an inferior product and the media all fall into line and talk it up as if it has equal standing to the elite level. If anyone dares to question they are shouted down by all and sundry, even when quoting facts. Like when McEnroe was pushed in an interview to label Serena Williams an all-time great and not qualify it with the female prefix. After he pointed out that in his opinion Williams wouldn't rank in the top 500 on the men's tour he was denounced by every woman and her dog.

I love sport more than the next man but have very little interest in watching women's sport. There are thousands of male footballers who are far better players than even the top ten percent of the women's game running around on the weekend for the love of the game. When the Matilda's, a top 10 team in women's international soccer, played the 15-year-old boy's development team from one of the A-league teams they were trounced 8 nil.

In what other facets of life do women demand to be paid equally not for doing the same job as a man, but a vastly inferior one?
There's very few leagues and player unions advocating for equal pay
Equal revenue share from advertising is what's being discussed mostly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There's very few leagues and player unions advocating for equal pay
Equal revenue share from advertising is what's being discussed mostly.

What women's league anywhere is paying its own way. AFLW, women's cricket, and others are all being subsidised from the TV deals and sponsorship pools of the men's game.

Tennis constantly argues for and makes a virtue of the fact that the winner of the women's slams gets equal prize money despite doing less actual work and participating in what is effectively a handicap class.

Let's refer to the actual article. It only mentions the AFLW in passing... The actual subject is that current player payments may be unsustainable because the current payments for the media rights are not likely to be at the present level.

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What women's league anywhere is paying its own way. AFLW, women's cricket, and others are all being subsidised from the TV deals and sponsorship pools of the men's game.

Tennis constantly argues for and makes a virtue of the fact that the winner of the women's slams gets equal prize money despite doing less actual work and participating in what is effectively a handicap class.
The US open generates about 370 million dollars in revenue, and 1st prize is 3.8 mil. Hardly going to put the game at a handicap.

The wnba generates $60mil a season and player payments equate to 20-30% of that whilst in the men's league revenue is 50% to players.

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I'm not sure that tennis is the best example. When grand slam pay equity was introduced the women were reportedly bringing in as much advertising / sponsorship money as the men.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
The AFLW players should be paid exactly what the women’s game generates in revenue (after expenses etc). Just like all sport.
Part of the investment for future growth/income flow. I don't think many current players are raking it in.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

And there's the Matilda's reference, the Godwin's Law of female sport conversations.
Do you have anything to say on the factual correctness of his comment, or just moan that someone brought up the argument you don't like?
I don't even care that Matildas lost to a boys team. To me that's irrelevant. What is relevant is the interest generated by a particular sport. When Matildas can generate TV ratings and crowds, they should be paid accordingly. Simple as that.

If AFLW is watchable and generates interest and dollars, they should be paid accordingly. But if the skills are crap, it won't be watched because the people buy what they choose to buy.

Why include the AFLW in a jumper presentation? Why not do a separate one for them? Is it because there is sufficient interest in it, or is it because it's a *en politically correct thing to do these days?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Majority of these women, especially the under 25s are slumming it at coffee shops, on top of that doing full uni loads.

This is their CHOICE.

A majority of males are battling away doing the same. This doesn't entitle THEM to ANY specialized competition from the AFL nor any specialized privilege from the AFL.

This manufactured false entitlement crap is INSANE!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Name names.

Which players want the women’s team to pack up and piss off.

Won't do it, as you know they will be bullied, subjected to ridicule and cancel culture should they openly speak their minds, and you demand this because you know I won't name them, therefore you can open handedly dismiss it. Go ahead and do that.

The readers can decide for themselves, but I do stand by my comments.

Do you have anything to say on the factual correctness of his comment, or just moan that someone brought up the argument you don't like?
I don't even care that Matildas lost to a boys team. To me that's irrelevant. What is relevant is the interest generated by a particular sport. When Matildas can generate TV ratings and crowds, they should be paid accordingly. Simple as that.

If AFLW is watchable and generates interest and dollars, they should be paid accordingly. But if the skills are crap, it won't be watched because the people buy what they choose to buy.

Why include the AFLW in a jumper presentation? Why not do a separate one for them? Is it because there is sufficient interest in it, or is it because it's a fu**en politically correct thing to do these days?
Feels like there is very little point engaging you in this. You hate it, you dont ever want to see it. That's cool if that's how you feel. Pretty lame, but whatever.

I do want to watch it, and it makes perfect sense to me that at a season launch our football teams are present, because they play football and we are a football club, but that's where we differ.

I dont buy into this PC outrage culture crap that you're slinging either. That's just a load. But moan away, by all means.

Back