DamoESP

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs, Dallas Stars
So, for all of us that have been playing in Ultimate Footy leagues for awhile (I'm in a 10 team keeper league that has been running for 6 years), we've probably all seen the service degrade over the last few years and coincides with Fairfax's struggles as a company and as key personal involved in UF's creation are no longer there.

With this in mind, our league has been keeping our eyes out for a similar online fantasy system like UF in the event things do go south and Fairfax dump UF.

We've found a few others that allow customisation, but they all seem to be points based, which IMO is boring after playing Categories for years (plus we are involved in a few NBA Cat leagues etc and find it much more exciting), so I was wondering if anyone else has managed to find anything out there, that provides the ability to have H2H Category matchups?

We all love UF, but want to be prepared just in case things don't work out for the platform :(

Great idea for a thread and I have similar concerns.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anything out there that supports category based scoring.

My fear is that it would need to done in spreadsheets etc. which is a ridiculous amount of work especially for the commissioners!

We tried moving to AF draft this year but couldn't do it due to the lack of customisation.
What they charge to upgrade leagues is bs considering some features promised don't appear until half way through or not at all.

Disappointed 'real dream team ' have not tried to fill the void. Surely its not that hard to copy UF.

Important thread. There is such an opportunity for a dedicated platform to take on the draft and categories way of playing and do it right. Surely there is an opportunity there.

I think the biggest issue with a new platform emerging, is getting access to the Champion Data API's etc.
It's not cheap at all, so it really needs to come from an existing player in the "fantasy" field but not sure if they see the popularity of Category leagues in Australia. Which sucks as its really one of those things that once you go Cats, you never go back....hahaha

The only thing that was ever suggested to me a few others as an alternative was The Bench but far out that needs an overhaul to be anything relevant. Almost makes you appreciate UF a bit.

Would love for other suggestions.

From memory I created a test League in The Bench, but its not Cat based like UF. I think you could adjust scoring based on playing position (i.e a Goal is worth 12 points for a Defender vs 6 points for everyone else) but yeah was pretty average from what I could remember

It has opened and in need of a new account as fairfax have said goodbye! However I am unable to regen the league from last year like they have said we can? Is anyone else having these troubles (I am a league manager)

1581540757522.png

So, did some digging since they announced UF is no longer with The Age/Fairfax, from the UF terms and conditions it appears to now be own/ran by FanHub, who also do AFL Fantasy along with a host of other fantasy sports. This can only be a good thing I assume for the longevity of the platform.

Think you have to be the one that set it up last year.

I set up our league last year and it still didn't work. Couldn't find me or my league, even though the email I used was the same and I still have emails in my inbox from last year's league that were from ultimate footy.

Not a big deal since we are a redraft league but would have been annoying if were we're a keeper or dynasty league.

So, did some digging since they announced UF is no longer with The Age/Fairfax, from the UF terms and conditions it appears to now be own/ran by FanHub, who also do AFL Fantasy along with a host of other fantasy sports. This can only be a good thing I assume for the longevity of the platform.

That's actually quite interesting. If they incorporated keepers into AF I'm sure they'd get a few people who are fed up with UF switch over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back