News Deathride 2020 - Port Adelaide 1st Rounder (the others traded in draft carry on)

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not ideal for Port. Their start to the season was going to be tricky in any event.

Round 1. Suns at Metricon.
Round 2. Crows
Round 3. North at Marvel
Round 4. West Coast in Adelaide.
Round 5. Collingwood at MCG

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not ideal for Port. Their start to the season was going to be tricky in any event.

Round 2. Crows
Round 3. North at Marvel

Pretty ideal for whichever club managed to score ports first round pick next year though ;)

Pretty ideal for whichever club managed to score ports first round pick next year though ;)

I'd be tipping the Suns too. They've got an underrated inside game while that's Ports area of weakness, even more so without Wines. Watch them crumble.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Port are a team where if they have a few injuries to key players (like most) they’re screwed. Ollie is one, so is Dixon and also Boak. Those 3 go down and they could have a rough time of it. Also Hinkley doesn’t seem to be a person who would take to kindly to a few early losses and could ‘flip his kid’ and make life horrible for the players.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Port are a team where if they have a few injuries to key players (like most) they’re screwed. Ollie is one, so is Dixon and also Boak. Those 3 go down and they could have a rough time of it. Also Hinkley doesn’t seem to be a person who would take to kindly to a few early losses and could ‘flip his kid’ and make life horrible for the players.

Poor kid

Round 2. Crows
Round 3. North at Marvel

Tough start to the season. Missing Wines will really hurt not to mention none of Jonas, Boak, Rocky, Drew, Watts or Hartlett have had full pre-seasons. Think there's a few others with injury interrupted pre-seasons and Dixon, though fit, has knees are made of paper. Will be interesting to see where we and they sit on the ladder coming into the round 9 match.

Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hinkley drinking the cool aid already from article today .

zzzzzmilstone.jpg

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Suns do generally start the year pretty well.
Correct- The last 4 years

2019 : 1 point loss to Saints at Marvel
2018 : Win over North at Cazaley's (in mud from memory)
2017 : 2 point loss to Lions at Metricon
2016 : Win over Bomber's at Metricon

So hopefully they get a win over Port

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Correct- The last 4 years

2019 : 1 point loss to Saints at Marvel
2018 : Win over North at Cazaley's (in mud from memory)
2017 : 2 point loss to Lions at Metricon
2016 : Win over Bomber's at Metricon

So hopefully they get a win over Port
Not just their first game. Pretty sure the past two seasons they’ve been 3:1 after the first 4 rounds. Then youth, injuries and lack of depth start impacting their season.

Right now they’ve lost maybe 2 or 3 players from their best 22 for the start of the season to injury. Plus some of their key depth players. A couple of those injuries are long term or season ending.

Just means some of their new draftees look to debut round 1.

Potentially they have all of Rankine, Rowell, Anderson and Flanders in their round 1 team.

Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Not just their first game. Pretty sure the past two seasons they’ve been 3:1 after the first 4 rounds. Then youth, injuries and lack of depth start impacting their season.

Right now they’ve lost maybe 2 or 3 players from their best 22 for the start of the season to injury. Plus some of their key depth players. A couple of those injuries are long term or season ending.

Just means some of their new draftees look to debut round 1.

Potentially they have all of Rankine, Rowell, Anderson and Flanders in their round 1 team.

If Rankine gets himself match fit, he'll be scary good.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I read the article when it first came out and it has been interesting to watch Hinkley over the last few years. When they’re up and going he seems like a good coach but when they’re battling he seems like a right goose and someone I wouldn’t want to playing under. Brash statements like that have been the undoing of many a club and I can see it only being a hinderance as well. It will be a very interesting season for Port, I get the feeling Hinkley is under a fair bit of pressure.

Maroon Monsoon

All Australian
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I read the article when it first came out and it has been interesting to watch Hinkley over the last few years. When they’re up and going he seems like a good coach but when they’re battling he seems like a right goose and someone I wouldn’t want to playing under. Brash statements like that have been the undoing of many a club and I can see it only being a hinderance as well. It will be a very interesting season for Port, I get the feeling Hinkley is under a fair bit of pressure.

One of the biggest issues Hinckley faces is he's a known quantity with well established limitations. He might not be the worst coach in the competition but after the turnover last season I couldn't definitively nominate another - the other candidates just haven't been in the seat long enough.

Makes it hard for Port to sell hope and positivity when they've got an established mediocrity in the box seat. Almost better to have a new coach in there even if there's no improvement in quality

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think I heard him described as an emotional motivation coach. All his motivation is done by getting the team emotionally fired up. Which works great when you have something to work with but then you cant maintain it every week. When they drop off they drop off hard. So his teams have real yo-yo performances

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree - so many good things said about him at the time of his appointment to the Port job. He presents to me as a real Jekyl & Hyde coach. When Port are winning he is acceptable in his media interviews but when they are having a bad run he really turns ugly and lashes out at his players. I've never played footy at any level of note but on the basis of what I see, I couldn't work for this guy.

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think I heard him described as an emotional motivation coach. All his motivation is done by getting the team emotionally fired up. Which works great when you have something to work with but then you cant maintain it every week. When they drop off they drop off hard. So his teams have real yo-yo performances
Like last season's shitshow against us where he had to apologise for their misplaced aggression bahaha. Bring on pick 1

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
One of the biggest issues Hinckley faces is he's a known quantity with well established limitations. He might not be the worst coach in the competition but after the turnover last season I couldn't definitively nominate another - the other candidates just haven't been in the seat long enough.

Makes it hard for Port to sell hope and positivity when they've got an established mediocrity in the box seat. Almost better to have a new coach in there even if there's no improvement in quality
This man is on point.

As an opposition fan, kudos.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On the Port board there was talk of someone being their first Brownlow winner. Didn't realise they hadn't produced any. Even Freo have one

Back