Prediction 2020 Ladder Predictions

Jul 11, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Does anyone else have an inkling that North Melbourne will do well in the 2020 H&A season? Their midfield is good and they are increasingly becoming difficult to beat at Marvel Stadium. They really only lost to Geelong, Brisbane (the H&A top 2) and Essendon twice there.

They were competitive against Brisbane twice and Essendon once, losing those games fairly narrowly. This also goes for the first game against Hawthorn. They also lost narrowly to Sydney.

The way they performed last year with all those close losses and crushing wins tell me that a final berth is on the cards this year. I can see them even making the top 4.

I think there's still a few kinks to iron out with the list and we have had a lot of off field changes so it could be a bit of a transitional year.
Finals or not I just want to see some of the workload being taken off Tarrant and Higgins.

Does anyone else have an inkling that North Melbourne will do well in the 2020 H&A season? Their midfield is good and they are increasingly becoming difficult to beat at Marvel Stadium. They really only lost to Geelong, Brisbane (the H&A top 2) and Essendon twice there.

They were competitive against Brisbane twice and Essendon once, losing those games fairly narrowly. This also goes for the first game against Hawthorn. They also lost narrowly to Sydney.

The way they performed last year with all those close losses and crushing wins tell me that a final berth is on the cards this year. I can see them even making the top 4.
If we don’t make finals which I think we will we will be most definetly at least in contention

The list has a good experience range now

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I think there's still a few kinks to iron out with the list and we have had a lot of off field changes so it could be a bit of a transitional year.
Finals or not I just want to see some of the workload being taken off Tarrant and Higgins.
The only issue that I think North Melbourne have is in defence and their reliance on Tarrant, but in an era where teams don’t really score as much I don’t think it’ll be a huge problem

If we don’t make finals which I think we will we will be most definetly at least in contention

The list has a good experience range now
Is Hall going to play or is still out with mental health?

I could of also say the same thing about collingwood in 2002 and 2018
Except you couldn’t. 2002 was that Collingwood side at its peak performance. 2011 was much more a choke than 2002, though in that case we were outplayed for longer and the dam wall broke.

We didn’t so much squander clear opportunities in 2002 as a heavily priced underdog as Fremantle did in 2013. Anyone claiming otherwise simply doesn’t know football.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Except you couldn’t. 2002 was that Collingwood side at its peak performance. 2011 was much more a choke than 2002, though in that case we were outplayed for longer and the dam wall broke.

We didn’t so much squander clear opportunities in 2002 as a heavily priced underdog as Fremantle did in 2013. Anyone claiming otherwise simply doesn’t know football.
2002 collingwood side was at its peak performance?

That 2002 collingwood side nearly fluked a flag in 2002.

That side finished 4th with 13 wins. No chance you could finish 4th with 13 wins in this 18 team comp.

you narrowly beat Port by 13 points in the QF.

You did beat the crows in a prelim by 28.

As far as the grand final in 2002 is concerned, I watched that game live.

Collingwood lost 9.12.66 to Brisbanes 10.15.75. Your team sprayed your shots. Plain and simple.

2002 collingwood side was at its peak performance?

That 2002 collingwood side nearly fluked a flag in 2002.

That side finished 4th with 13 wins. No chance you could finish 4th with 13 wins in this 18 team comp.

you narrowly beat Port by 13 points in the QF.

You did beat the crows in a prelim by 28.

As far as the grand final in 2002 is concerned, I watched that game live.

Collingwood lost 9.12.66 to Brisbanes 10.15.75. Your team sprayed your shots. Plain and simple.
So you agree with the entire premise of my post - that we played about as well as could have been expected given the circumstances and come up short against a better side?

And to be fair Rocca kicking it directly over the goal post from 50 out is a bit of a different prospect to Fyfe slicing it straight into the behind post with a much easier kick from 35 out...

Collingwood 2002 cannot be sanely accuses of choking by anyone.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
So you agree with the entire premise of my post - that we played about as well as could have been expected given the circumstances and come up short against a better side?

And to be fair Rocca kicking it directly over the goal post from 50 out is a bit of a different prospect to Fyfe slicing it straight into the behind post with a much easier kick from 35 out...

Collingwood 2002 cannot be sanely accuses of choking by anyone.
No shame losing to an elite Non-victorian side.

That Brisbane 2001-3 side was very good.

Hawks of 2012-15 were good but again, they had the home ground advantage in those years.

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
As I said, I got $50 on the crows to make finals.

I don't see crows finishing in the bottom 4 either. Worse case scenario for the crows is 8 wins with 6 home wins and 2 away wins. Which would be a 13th or 14th placed finish. Best place I see the crows is getting 9th.

But middle ground is 11th
I dont know.. i am usually the most negative person when it comes to my own team but i have a strange feeling that with a new coach, good kids, solid core group of players still there and a few toxic people and players gone from the club i just think we might be ok.. ok as in not be as bad as most think.. so thats 7th-11th. Will be a quick "rebuild"
Keen as to see Jones, McHenry, Fogary & McAsey this year.. and the return of Doedee.

Capriati

Club Legend
Aug 25, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Pffft.

Your list is a shambles.
As I said, I got $50 on the crows to make finals.

I don't see crows finishing in the bottom 4 either. Worse case scenario for the crows is 8 wins with 6 home wins and 2 away wins. Which would be a 13th or 14th placed finish. Best place I see the crows is getting 9th.

But middle ground is 11th
I dont know.. i am usually the most negative person when it comes to my own team but i have a strange feeling that with a new coach, good kids, solid core group of players still there and a few toxic people and players gone from the club i just think we might be ok.. ok as in not be as bad as most think.. so thats 7th-11th. Will be a quick "rebuild"
Keen as to see Jones, McHenry, Fogary & McAsey this year.. and the return of Doedee.

Idiots like you make the Bookies rich

I am bullish on the crows. One of my predictions for 2020 is that they will play finals.

I believe that the review and subsequent changes to personnel and process will yield results. Since the 2017 Grand Final and pre season camp they have been playing with a weight on their shoulders, denying that their was anything wrong and trying to hold it all together until it all became too much. You can't underestimate what kind of emotional toll that would take on the playing group.

Also- people are making a bigger deal of the departures. They still have quality players like, Sloane, Crouch brothers, Walker, Talia. Darcy Fogarty will be a future star of the game and the departure of Jenkins provides space to work him in to the forward line. On top of that there are some high quality youth they picked up in the draft (McAsey and Schoenberg). Their midfield is a bit one wood and one pace, but many teams outside the top 4/5 have similar issues in their list, that's why they aren't top 4/5 teams.

The Crows play Adelaide Oval very well and should be able to score some wins against higher ranked teams there. The impact of a new coach and his affect on the playing group shouldn't be overlooked either.

I expect Adelaide to be the feel good "redemption" story of 2020 and to have a similar season to West Coast in 2017, finish somewhere around 12W-10L on the ladder and win one final.

Is Hall going to play or is still out with mental health?

I think he's available to play now, but I'd say he's a fringe player going into 2020. He was spending some time in the twos even before he took a break.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
well i am hoping freo is contending for a finals spot too.

Taylor Walker turns 30, so does Sloane. Hence why I think crows won't make finals in 2020.

Crows will get a finals run from 2021 to 2023 that means Sloane and Walker are 31-33 years old

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
West Coast
Richmond
GWS
Bulldogs
Collingwood
Geelong
Brisbane
Hawthorn

Port
Sydney
Melbourne
Saints
Essendon
Adelaide
North
Carlton
Freo
Gold Coast

Apr 6, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Subiaco, Everton, SF 49ers
1st Collingwood 18W 4L
2nd Richmond 18W 4L
3rd Western Bulldogs 16W 6L
4th West Coast 16W 6L
5th Hawthorn 14W 1D 7L
6th North Melbourne 14W 8L
7th Geelong 13W 9L
8th Brisbane 11W 11L
9th GWS 11W 11L
10th Sydney 11W 11L
11th Carlton 10W 1D 11L
12th Fremantle 10W 12L
13th Port Adelaide 9W 13L
14th St Kilda 8W 14L
15th Essendon 7W 15L
16th Melbourne 7W 15L
17th Gold Coast 5W 17L
18th Adelaide 4W 18L

Finals System with scores
Q1 Collingwood 15.11 101 def West Coast 11.14 80
EF1 Hawthorn 12.15 87 def by Brisbane 14.11 95
EF2 North Melbourne 9.11 65 def by Geelong 11.6 72
Q2 Richmond 7.11 53 def by Western Bulldogs 20.14 134

Semi 1 Richmond 12.10 82 def Geelong 11.12 78
Semi 2 West Coast 17.7 109 def Brisbane 8.16 64

Prem 1 Collingwood 19.13 127 def Richmond 8.8 56
Prem 2 Western Bulldogs 14.18 102 def West Coast 10.13 73

Grand Final
Quarter Time
Collingwood 6.5 41
Western Bulldogs 2.0 12

Half time
Collingwood 12.9 81
Western Bulldogs 6.4 40

Three Quarter Time
Collingwood 16.9 105
Westden Bulldogs 12.6 78

Final Quarter
Collingwood 22.15 147
Western Bulldogs 13.7 85
So, a total of 202 games won. And yet there are only 198 games played during the H & A season. Hmm. Let's see now, what if we deduct 4 games from Collingwood's wins bringing them back to 14W 8 L and a 6th -7th finishing position. That might work better and has the advantage of being a tad more realistic.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
West Coast
Collingwood
Bulldogs

Brisbane
Hawthorn
Richmond
Geelong

St Kilda
Port
Carlton
North
Adelaide
Melbourne
Sydney
Essendon
Gold Coast
Freo
Typical eagles predicton of Freo finishing bottom. Im calling bastardization on this too.

Amazing how in 2018, freo finished 14th with no decent tall forwards. every person and their dog knew freo needed Key forwards. Freo get A full forward/ ruckman in Rory Lobb and another key forward in Jesse Hogan and that still translates to a wooden spoon finish.

Im going to enjoy bumping this thread if freo are in the top 8 half way into the season

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Typical eagles predicton of Freo finishing bottom. Im calling bastardization on this too.

Amazing how in 2018, freo finished 14th with no decent tall forwards. every person and their dog knew freo needed Key forwards. Freo get A full forward/ ruckman in Rory Lobb and another key forward in Jesse Hogan and that still translates to a wooden spoon finish.

Im going to enjoy bumping this thread if freo are in the top 8 half way into the season
You still don’t have any decent tall forwards.

Back