Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

On a positive note, on early indications, it appears the average skill standard of the AFLW will rise again (for the 4th consecutive year). A VERY important issue for the AFLW.
This is based on the criterion that the first year young players are more skilled than the preceding 2019 first year young players (This view was espoused by S. Ollie, FoxSports journalist on SEN Radio Melb., G. Whateley program; & by G. Healy Sportsday, Radio 693 Melb.- both 10.2)

The scoring was poor in too many games in Round 1, but mitigating factors were:-
. the deluge in Sydney
. 4 new teams, with dozens of new players to the AFLW- nerves, speed of the game, cobwebs etc.
. several venues were very windy- many women still struggle greatly to kick & mark well in wind.
. it's only Round 1, too early to form any definitive trends

I attended Carlton V. Richmond- was saddened/angry that Carlton coach Harford often had plus 1 in defence, sometimes plus 2 defenders.
This is abrogating AFLW clubs duty to promote female AF & the AFLW. The commercial value & advertising benefits are being trashed.

Last edited:

On a positive note, on early indications, it appears the average standard of the AFLW will rise again (for the 4th consecutive year). A VERY important issue for the AFLW.
This is based on the criterion that the first year young players are more skilled than the preceding 2019 first year young players (This view was espoused by S. Ollie, FoxSports journalist on SEN Radio Melb., G. Whateley program; & G. Healy Sportsday, Radio 693 Melb.- both 10.2)

The scoring was poor in too many games in Round 1, but mitigating factors were:-
. the deluge in Sydney
. 4 new teams, with dozens of new players to the AFLW- nerves, speed of the game, cobwebs etc.
. several venues were very windy- many women still struggle greatly to kick & mark well
. it's only Round 1, too early to form any definitive trends

I attended Carlton V. Richmond- was saddened/angry that Carlton coach Harford often had plus 1 in defence, sometimes plus 2 defenders.
This is abrogating AFLW clubs duty to promote female AF & the AFLW. The commercial value & advertising benefits are being trashed.
My kicking in wind always sucked, mind you, it generally sucked anyway, but it definitely sucked a lot more in wind. And it wasn't so much the effect of the wind on the ball after I kicked it, but during the ball drop.

Bad conditions emphasise skill deficits.

Players that arent naturally good kicks, but who have ironed out deficiencies to be reasonably effective kicks in decent conditions are often found out in very poor conditions.

This applies to lots of players in the AFLW. But conditions affect skill, but not effort, and it becomes a slug fest fast.

The only thing that will fix it is time.

You see first year players, 18-19 year old, across the whole league, who are exceptional players.
There will be more and more of these types with each passing year.

Yep, look at Jas Garner on the weekend - was ultra impressive on the ball and she's just turned 25 I think? Imagine your Morrison, Prespakis, Zanker types at that age with another 6 years of experience, training, conditioning under their belts...

Personally I think it devalues the league if a coach were to place playing attractive football higher than getting results.

It's a competitive league with a premiership on the line, you do what you can to win.

Personally I think it devalues the league if a coach were to place playing attractive football higher than getting results.

It's a competitive league with a premiership on the line, you do what you can to win.[So a game with a final scoreline of 2 goal 5 points to 1 goal 4 points is good?]
I know many people (eg the AFLW, AFLPA, N. Livingstone, D.Vescio, the AFLM proponents, S.Hocking ("We're all ears at the AFL" about AFLM) etc. don't like talking about the AFLW in conjunction with principles enunciated in The AFL Charter Of The Game...and certainly not the "R...ngs" word ("that which dare not speakest its name").

There are, however, many like me who wish to see a popular & thriving AFLW- & a commercially viable AFLW which can offer all its players, eventually, a full time professional career. There is a BIG problem occurring in the AFLW- which requires rule changes.
Channel 7 executives have also publicly expressed their displeasure about current game styles, & their impact on AF's popularity (which has implications for the AFL & AFLW's broadcasting commercial value; & growth- or diminution!).

Yeah, looking good is for synchronised swimming.

Weak.
As you are not able to argue a logical & consistent argument (supported by numerous facts, & cite numerous- or even 1!- AF experts in agreement with your tackleball/stoppages preference) against The AFL Charter Of The Game & its attacking, reasonably high scoring preference, you make this type of irrelevant comment.

2. AFLM!

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02...ing-and-unprofessional-afl-over-aflm-debacle/

3. Dani Marshall's journey.
Enjoy.

https://www.sen.com.au/programs/whateley/

(Then click on "Dani Marshall on Whateley"13.2)

4. Interesting.

But still no mention of the R...ngs word.

EDIT:

Last edited:
I see average crowds for round 1 down by about 1000 per game compared to 2019

Wouldn’t worry about that, The first derby this weekend they are expecting 50k plus which boggles the mind a bit but that will be enough to keep the average crowds up in the positive area for the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t worry about that, The first derby this weekend they are expecting 50k plus which boggles the mind a bit but that will be enough to keep the average crowds up in the positive area for the season.
Not for the haters. They will say the Derby doesn't count, but that Gold Coast v GWS in a monsoon does.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not for the haters. They will say the Derby doesn't count, but that Gold Coast v GWS in a monsoon does.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think you are harsh sometimes, it will be an amazing opportunity for these women to play in front of such a large crowd. If someone asks why don't they show up in the same numbers to the next game you call them haters?
You are very informative with the womens game and I am learning a lot in regards to the womens side of the game from you but you seem to have a chip on your shoulder in regards to some who disagree with your thoughts.
The womens game has certainly not won me over, I don't watch it much if at all but it is having a very positive effect on young women in our society so it's a good thing. I actually went down the park with my 8 year old grand daughter the other day and we kicked the footy and she loved it. But others who simply don't like it I have no issue with as it's just their view and these types of forums are exactly where they can and should be able to put forward their view without being called haters or names.

I am sure the point being made here is that the "haters" will discredit the derby, but they will use the GWS game as evidence crowd numbers are poor.

I had a chuckle, because I know what we'll see on social media "how many of them would go if it was free ....?" same old broken record

I am sure the point being made here is that the "haters" will discredit the derby, but they will use the GWS game as evidence crowd numbers are poor.

I had a chuckle, because I know what we'll see on social media "how many of them would go if it was free ....?" same old broken record

I think what some say is if the Derby attracts 50k which is predicted then surely both the Eagles and Dockers should be attracting 10-15k or more to each and every home game and if not why not?
Ultimately it doesn't matter, what a great thrill it will be for these women to play in front of such a large crowd.

I think you are harsh sometimes, it will be an amazing opportunity for these women to play in front of such a large crowd. If someone asks why don't they show up in the same numbers to the next game you call them haters?
You are very informative with the womens game and I am learning a lot in regards to the womens side of the game from you but you seem to have a chip on your shoulder in regards to some who disagree with your thoughts.
The womens game has certainly not won me over, I don't watch it much if at all but it is having a very positive effect on young women in our society so it's a good thing. I actually went down the park with my 8 year old grand daughter the other day and we kicked the footy and she loved it. But others who simply don't like it I have no issue with as it's just their view and these types of forums are exactly where they can and should be able to put forward their view without being called haters or names.
The year leading up to the AFLW, I had debates on the womens footy forum with people that said, in all seriousness, games would struggle to get crowds of 100, because no body cared about womens football. League was a mistake and would fold within 3 years.

Year 1, crowds somewhat easily exceed 100, but the opening round doesn't count, because of the hype. And its free, so none of them count really.

First game at Optus doesn't count, because its a new stadium. Adelaide Oval grand final doesn't count, because its Adelaide, a 1 team town with nothing but footy, and its free.

So, we can see, that the people originally arguing there would be no crowds, were wise and prescient and right.

They knew nobody would attend as nobody cared, they were certain they were right, and if 50 000 rock up tomorrow, they will still know they are right, and they will tell everybody so.

You cannot maintain a position like that without being incredibly invested in the league failing.

I think what some say is if the Derby attracts 50k which is predicted then surely both the Eagles and Dockers should be attracting 10-15k or more to each and every home game and if not why not?
Ultimately it doesn't matter, what a great thrill it will be for these women to play in front of such a large crowd.
Its an event, events attract people. Plenty of people going tomorrow will only attend this 1 game. If Eagles or Dockers mens teams are going poorly, a Derby will still attract a crowd.

The year leading up to the AFLW, I had debates on the womens footy forum with people that said, in all seriousness, games would struggle to get crowds of 100, because no body cared about womens football. League was a mistake and would fold within 3 years.

Year 1, crowds somewhat easily exceed 100, but the opening round doesn't count, because of the hype. And its free, so none of them count really.

First game at Optus doesn't count, because its a new stadium. Adelaide Oval grand final doesn't count, because its Adelaide, a 1 team town with nothing but footy, and its free.

So, we can see, that the people originally arguing there would be no crowds, were wise and prescient and right.

They knew nobody would attend as nobody cared, they were certain they were right, and if 50 000 rock up tomorrow, they will still know they are right, and they will tell everybody so.

You cannot maintain a position like that without being incredibly invested in the league failing.

Well I certainly don't want the league to fail.

Its an event, events attract people. Plenty of people going tomorrow will only attend this 1 game. If Eagles or Dockers mens teams are going poorly, a Derby will still attract a crowd.

The mens do not have a 80% drop off the following week though. Like you said it is a one off event and a huge media machine pumping it up to the masses so it will be a great day for all.

The mens do not have a 80% drop off the following week though. Like you said it is a one off event and a huge media machine pumping it up to the masses so it will be a great day for all.
Thats the importance of this event. If people enjoy it, maybe going to the AFLW starts to become a habit, and the drop off starts to shrink. No guarantees, but its possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back