The Strokes - The New Abnormal (2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Enjoyed the Adults are talking (very similar to First Impressions of Earth B side) and Ode to the Mets.

I'm a dieheard so chances are I'll like it but interested to see what the reception is like overall. Julian Casablancas can write melodies like no one else around currently in my opinion. Even poorer albums like Angles have knock out tracks like Under Cover of Darkness. There were so great and stellar tracks on Virtue such as leave it in My Dreams, Lazy Boy, All Wordz are made up and The live version of wink.

Seems they have got a bit of a second wind of popularity and hype from being quite a rare live act but also considered over the hill by the pitchfork crowd. Genuinely interested to see what the wider reception is.

Was it a Rolling Stone who asked the famous ' Can the Strokes save rock and roll ' question ?

Answer was obviously NO but hopefully this will be good for the die hards who still believe

Is This It? is one of my favourite albums of all time, and for all intents and purposes has soundtracked my 20’s perfectly and I relate pretty strongly to every song but The Strokes been on a very steady decline since.

Room on Fire is incredibly vanilla. Pretty lifeless and overproduced, and I think Julian ran out of interesting subject matter pretty quickly. What Ever Happened? and I Can’t Win are among some of their best though.

FIOE is on a similar level. The singles are strong, but the album overall contains too much filler.

Each subsequent album I’ve given a few listens to and given up. Some bands have a short peak and run out of ideas quickly and I think that is the case with The Strokes. I feel indebted for what they managed to convey in ITI?, and I’ll certainly give the new LP a listen, but I can’t see them putting anything profound out.

Julian’s best work is coming via The Voidz.

Is This It? is one of my favourite albums of all time, and for all intents and purposes has soundtracked my 20’s perfectly and I relate pretty strongly to every song but The Strokes been on a very steady decline since.

Room on Fire is incredibly vanilla. Pretty lifeless and overproduced, and I think Julian ran out of interesting subject matter pretty quickly. What Ever Happened? and I Can’t Win are among some of their best though.

FIOE is on a similar level. The singles are strong, but the album overall contains too much filler.

Each subsequent album I’ve given a few listens to and given up. Some bands have a short peak and run out of ideas quickly and I think that is the case with The Strokes. I feel indebted for what they managed to convey in ITI?, and I’ll certainly give the new LP a listen, but I can’t see them putting anything profound out.

Julian’s best work is coming via The Voidz.

Couldn't disagree more on Room on Fire. It's fantastic.

Couldn't disagree more on Room on Fire. It's fantastic.

yeh, the second album is a classic for me, in my opinion! Is this it! started it all and is a gem of an album and began the decade off with a lot of excitement, but ROF is just as good and a bit more evolved and creative version of the debut with great songs everywhere.

I also think Angles and Comedown machine are good albums, quite a bit underrated, have some spotty tracks here and there that seemed unfinished.

i really couldn’t get into first impressions, but enjoyed the singles.

this new album, I’m expecting something mild or pretty average but nice enough, with less guitars, but i hope I’m wrong. I really like the cover art, I’ll give it a good chance.

its nice having them back.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 5 Strokes songs

Someday
Heart in a cage
You only live once
Under cover of darkness
Welcome to Japan

I’ll extend it to 10:

1. The Modern Age
2. Trying Your Luck
3. New York City Cops
4. Someday
5. What Ever Happened?
6. When It Started
7. I Can’t Win
8. You Only Live Once
9. Heart In A Cage
10. Under Cover of Darkness

It’s a shame When It Started has kind of retrospectively been pushed into the background after New Year City Cops became the default track 9 on Is This It? again. Such a cool track.

What? This and At the Door are some of their best songs in ages. Really looking forward to the new album. Hope the Voidz have a new album out this year, too. The Eternal Tao and Did My Best are both excellent.

This single sounds really good. Kind of similar to Barely Legal and almost like a Jam track.

I was pretty underwhelmed by At The Door, but hopefully there is enough decent tracks to make up a decent LP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back