Play Nice Random Chat Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry mate, it wasnt intended to be directed at you at all, i just used your post to quote the matter re veganism, which my rant was directed to , my apologies it looked like i was potting you.

No drama at all, dude, and appreciate your mature and civilised response. Kudos.

Speaking of excellent websites recommended by ol' Noam.....on the great man's advice, I recently checked out the very cool and informative website page posted below.

It's basically a quick-stop resource for specifically addressing some of the lame and/or erroneous climate denial/climate sceptic arguments that you regularly hear doing the rounds on social media. ("Where's the consensus?", "There is no proof that CO2 is causing global warming", "The medieval warming period was just as hot as it is now", "Chaotic systems are not predictable", "It's cold today in Wagga Wagga"....yada yada.) Concise, well-worded, straightforward, science-based summaries with multiple links to sources, and more detailed articles for further reading.

As I say, I only happened upon it recently, but it has already proven to be an invaluable tool when conversing with the kind of person that confuses 'a cool change' with 'climate change', or cites the Heartland Institute as a reputable source of climate science.

https://grist.org/series/skeptics/

Last edited:
I know right and have every intention of paying him a visit, we've a bit in common, from past history it does seem.

On his trip before last down this way, I was lucky enough to have ferbs pay a visit to TOD Manor to share some of his "expertise".

Happy to report that the man knows his stuff.

Love this. It's called "Station Squabble" and it beat out 48,000 other images to win the award for Best Wildlife Photography given out by London's Natural History Museum. It was taken in the London Underground, and the photographer, Sam Rowley, camped out there for two weeks in order to get the shot.

View attachment 822202
Awesome.

Could have just stopped there, ferbs.

Came across this a few weeks back.

Chomsky on Jordy P:

"....if you want to know about Jordan Peterson, the best thing I can refer you to is an article by Nathan Robinson."

The article in question.....

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

I've read that article and I kind of agree with it.

But I think he's also got some good qualities.

As I mentioned he is one of the few people advocating the use of psilocibin for terminally ill people, as a way to face death with courage and heart. Now that can't be a bad thing for his target audience to hear.

I think he's genuinely compassionate about his patients.

I like that he tells people to straighten their back and bear their s**t with dignity and a bit of fight, (but I don't really understand the need to tell people that.)

I like to find good in people where I can.

Pity he's obsessed about some things ... I'm actually gonna rave about him and how he kind of fails at the first hurdle so often on the MB. I'll post a link.

I've read that article and I kind of agree with it.

But I think he's also got some good qualities.

As I mentioned he is one of the few people advocating the use of psilocibin for terminally ill people, as a way to face death with courage and heart. Now that can't be a bad thing for his target audience to hear.

I think he's genuinely compassionate about his patients.

I like that he tells people to straighten their back and bear their s**t with dignity and a bit of fight, (but I don't really understand the need to tell people that.)

I like to find good in people where I can.

Pity he's obsessed about some things ... I'm actually gonna rave about him and how he kind of fails at the first hurdle so often on the MB. I'll post a link.

I don't disagree with everything he says. There's definitely some useful advice in there. A lot of it pretty rudimentary stuff that you'd find being spruiked by any self-help type worth their salt, but good advice all the same.

As I've said before in this thread, for me he really falls down when he starts waxing lyrical on topics that are outside the realm of his field of expertise. And he completely lost me with his (deliberate or otherwise) misrepresentation of Bill C-16. There's just not a whole lot of possible explanations for that - he's either really dumb and completely misinterpreted the proposed amendment, or he knew full well what he was doing and the audience he was playing to. Neither option reflects particularly well on him.

The mysticism and pseudo-science crap he likes to bang on about is for the tip.

And I find his views on women to be laughably archaic. I really have to question the intent/sanity of anyone saying stuff like women that complain about sexual harassment in the workplace and then wear lipstick are hypocrites, or that feminists have an "unconscious wish for brutal male domination". Notions so completely ridiculous as to seriously taint my opinion of anyone who would believe them. (Not implying that you do of course, ferbs.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very interesting (scarily so) to see that the Antarctic recorded its highest ever temperature yesterday at 20 degrees celsius, eclipsing the previous record set two days earlier at 18.5 degrees.

What with the worst bushfires in Australia's history and now the unbelievable rainfall levels falling in various past of the country, of course there is no such thing as climate change/global warming??????

I'm off to consult with that "eminent scientist" *andrews *bolts. (Use of * in this instance allowable as surely he (and several other coal burning enthusiasts) must be an *essendon supporter(s) given their laughable ability to indulge in *donialist style activity.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Very interesting (scarily so) to see that the Antarctic recorded its highest ever temperature yesterday at 20 degrees celsius, eclipsing the previous record set two days earlier at 18.5 degrees.

Horrie old mate, please don't get sucked in by this bullshit.

Here is where the temperature was recorded:

1581637762281.png

This DOES NOT constitute "Antarctica"

What with the worst bushfires in Australia's history and now the unbelievable rainfall levels falling in various past of the country, of course there is no such thing as climate change/global warming??????

I'm off to consult with that "eminent scientist" *andrews *bolts. (Use of * in this instance allowable as surely he (and several other coal burning enthusiasts) must be an *essendon supporter(s) given their laughable ability to indulge in *donialist style activity.

Bolta is a Tiger but on everything else you're right.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ve heard Danny Green can be a bit of a jerk. This is from a long time ago, but the story goes that Green walked into the gym where James Toney was training and told him he wanted to challenge him. That’s a bit of a jerk move, you don’t just turn up to someone’s gym and demand a fight. James goes, ok let’s spar for 8 rounds and see what you’ve got.

This is the result

Edit- for anyone who can’t be bothered watching, James punches the s**t out of him

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ve heard Danny Green can be a bit of a jerk. This is from a long time ago, but the story goes that Green walked into the gym where James Toney was training and told him he wanted to challenge him. That’s a bit of a jerk move, you don’t just turn up to someone’s gym and demand a fight. James goes, ok let’s spar for 8 rounds and see what you’ve got.

This is the result

Edit- for anyone who can’t be bothered watching, James punches the s**t out of him

I’ll watch it later Val but it looks as though James has a few weight divisions on him, is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back