• After the bye

Votes: 59 21.3%
  • End of the season

Votes: 68 24.5%
  • Never - coach for life

Votes: 88 31.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Membership figures are approx 5000 behind the same time last year, which were already 3000 down on the year before, so this random hubris is all about boosting the numbers.

We’re not coming. He doesn’t think we’re coming. He has absolutely no idea how to make us come.

You can see why we’re so frustrated.

I have blue balls waiting for us to come.

The only sides that have not won a final since Port last played in one are Essendon, St Kilda, Brisbane and Gold Coast. Those sides have also sacked coaches during that time (multiples time in the case of Essendon, St Kilda and Gold Coast). You can do the math here.

That being said, I am still a little surprised at how vocal many of the Port fans are on here about getting rid of him. Rarely see this level of hatred towards their own coach. Does this mean the board is incompetent?

The only sides that have not won a final since Port last played in one are Essendon, St Kilda, Brisbane and Gold Coast.

That would be since we last won a final (2014) not since our last final
(2017) and it also includes Carlton. Not that it makes things any better.

Does this mean the board is incompetent?

Yes it does. Hinkley had a full 12 months left on his existing contract when we extended it at the end of 2017. Why? We had just gone through three seasons of middling failure and zero finals wins (finishing 9th, 10th and 7th).

The prudent thing to do would’ve been to wait and see if he could redeem himself before giving him another two million dollars. But somehow, despite all the bloody accountants on our board, prudence didn’t prevail.

Dumb AF.

That would be since we last won a final (2014) not since our last final
(2017) and it also includes Carlton. Not that it makes things any better.

Yes it does. Hinkley had a full 12 months left on his existing contract when we extended it at the end of 2017. Why? We had just gone through three seasons of middling failure and zero finals wins (finishing 9th, 10th and 7th).

The prudent thing to do would’ve been to wait and see if he could redeem himself before giving him another two million dollars. But somehow, despite all the bloody accountants on our board, prudence didn’t prevail.

Dumb AF.

Yes, that was what I meant, and I did forget about Carlton - who have also sacked coaches during the period.

Pretty safe to say if Port don't make finals in 2020 that he'll be gone - surely.

Yes, that was what I meant, and I did forget about Carlton - who have also sacked coaches during the period.

Pretty safe to say if Port don't make finals in 2020 that he'll be gone - surely.

Our Old mates the Adelaide Crows have had 5 different Senior Coaches in the time Hinkles has been at Alberton...

If we don’t make it then the final year of his current deal won’t be triggered, so yes we can show him the door without penalty. But I won’t breathe easy until someone else’s arse is firmly in the chair because there’s still the possibility of us resigning him anyway.

It would be financial suicide from a membership perspective but anything is possible under this regime.

Our Old mates the Adelaide Crows have had 5 different Senior Coaches in the time Hinkles has been at Alberton...

And they have been more successful in that time. Phil Walsh aside (RIP), can you argue they didn't make the right calls with each coach?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That being said, I am still a little surprised at how vocal many of the Port fans are on here about getting rid of him. Rarely see this level of hatred towards their own coach. Does this mean the board is incompetent?

Yes. Imagine if off the back of a PF in 01 and weak 02 and 03 seasons, Hawthorn had extended Peter Schwab's contract? That's what Port effectively did. And what that's meant is a decent team that could have kicked on has broken up while the Board keep making excuses for the coach.

Who was responsible for signing Lindsay Thomas, Tom Rockliff, Jack Watts, Steven Motlop etc? Sack them.

Hard agree. I don't think Hinkley's a particularly good coach, but not necesarilly a bad one either. Port have done a horrendous job managing their list - topping up with junk footballers whenever they get the chance, forcing out valuable players - and if he had better cattle he'd probably do better. I do think he'll get the axe this year or next but question but is there someone coming through the system that's worth sacking him for?

Hard agree. I don't think Hinkley's a particularly good coach, but not necesarilly a bad one either. Port have done a horrendous job managing their list - topping up with junk footballers whenever they get the chance, forcing out valuable players - and if he had better cattle he'd probably do better. I do think he'll get the axe this year or next but question but is there someone coming through the system that's worth sacking him for?

They had Hawthorn vs Port prelim from 2014 on the other night on Fox. Port won 14 games for the H&A season, smashed Richmond, rolled 4th placed Freo in Perth then lost to Hawthorn (who easily beat Geelong in the QF and won the GF by 10 goals) 15.7 to 13.16. Looking at the age and experience of that Port team you would have thought they were on the rise but they have missed the finals 4 out of 5 years since and Luke Shuey ruined the only one they did play.

Went for Ryder in 2014 (Lobbe turned back into a pumpkin as a result) then went for Dixon (body is fragile) in 2015. Then in 2017 they went for Watts, Rockliff and Motlop and in 2018 Lycett (3 free agents and a 2nd round pick trade) before seemingly changing tack 5 minutes later and letting Polec, Wingard, Pittard, Howard and Ryder go in two trade periods to hit the draft hard. Odd.

They had Hawthorn vs Port prelim from 2014 on the other night on Fox. Port won 14 games for the H&A season, smashed Richmond, rolled 4th placed Freo in Perth then lost to Hawthorn (who easily beat Geelong in the QF and won the GF by 10 goals) 15.7 to 13.16. Looking at the age and experience of that Port team you would have thought they were on the rise but they have missed the finals 4 out of 5 years since and Luke Shuey ruined the only one they did play.

Went for Ryder in 2014 (Lobbe turned back into a pumpkin as a result) then went for Dixon (body is fragile) in 2015. Then in 2017 they went for Watts, Rockliff and Motlop and in 2018 Lycett (3 free agents and a 2nd round pick trade) before seemingly changing tack 5 minutes later and letting Polec, Wingard, Pittard, Howard and Ryder go in two trade periods to hit the draft hard. Odd.
Embarrassing list management. No one can possibly think Hinkley is 'the best man for the job' at this stage, although signs of his ineptness were apparent the year they didn't make the 8 (2017?) when they were top 4 15 games in.
He's got them tied up with his contract and they can't afford to sack him.

Embarrassing list management. No one can possibly think Hinkley is 'the best man for the job' at this stage, although signs of his ineptness were apparent the year they didn't make the 8 (2017?) when they were top 4 15 games in.
He's got them tied up with his contract and they can't afford to sack him.

They were 11-4 in 2018 and finished 12-10. In 2017 they came home with a wet sail and finished 14-8 then lost to us after we only made it because Melbourne choked in Rd 23. Last year they were all over the shop. 8 wins over 20 points, 8 losses over 20 points. Go to Melbourne and flog Essendon (finalist) then lose to North who have nothing to play for two weeks later by 86 points when finals are still on the line.

I don't know who steers the ship at Port. List management has been poor but I don't know how much of a say the head coach has in that. I'm more interested in the consistency of the team and any players going backwards. Would have been laughed off BigFooty if you suggested trading Chad Wingard for pick 15 and Ryan Burton a few years ago, but by the end of 2018 he was playing as a 70-80% version of himself. Still put up standout games (and has since he left) but no consistency. Travis Boak was a star 2013-15 then for 3 years was good but not great. All of a sudden in 2019 he was back to winning the B&F and being in AA consideration. Broadbent is only 29 and is delisted. Went from important half back to SANFL player. Ollie Wines has stalled and seems more interested in wakeboarding and seeking trades. Etc.

They were 11-4 in 2018 and finished 12-10. In 2017 they came home with a wet sail and finished 14-8 then lost to us after we only made it because Melbourne choked in Rd 23. Last year they were all over the shop. 8 wins over 20 points, 8 losses over 20 points. Go to Melbourne and flog Essendon (finalist) then lose to North who have nothing to play for two weeks later by 86 points when finals are still on the line.

I don't know who steers the ship at Port. List management has been poor but I don't know how much of a say the head coach has in that. I'm more interested in the consistency of the team and any players going backwards. Would have been laughed off BigFooty if you suggested trading Chad Wingard for pick 15 and Ryan Burton a few years ago, but by the end of 2018 he was playing as a 70-80% version of himself. Still put up standout games (and has since he left) but no consistency. Travis Boak was a star 2013-15 then for 3 years was good but not great. All of a sudden in 2019 he was back to winning the B&F and being in AA consideration. Broadbent is only 29 and is delisted. Went from important half back to SANFL player. Ollie Wines has stalled and seems more interested in wakeboarding and seeking trades. Etc.
Think they f*ed Boaks form over by playing him as a half forward flanker, return him to midfield and hes a star again and its a 'coaching masterstroke'.
Wines and Wingard probably dont have the AFL or nothing mindset leading to their demise but Wingard a star on his day like when he played midfield for Hawthorn at the end of last year.

Hinkley did a terrific job in his first two seasons as coach, and I remember Port being flag favourites in the lead up to the 2015 season but he hasn't produced the goods for an extended period of time.

I remember Hinkley had some very good assistants around him, namely Phil Walsh in the first few years and I wonder when these assistants played a much bigger role in the team's rise up the ladder in his early years than we realized in addition to his strong man management skills.

If Port do not make the finals again, surely he's gone.

Ken Hinkley- Senior Coach
Michael Voss- Senior Assistant
Jarrad Schofield- Midfield Coach
Nathan Bassett- Forwards Coach
Brent Montgomery- Defence Coach
Dean Brogan- Ruck Coach
Chad Cornes- Forward Development
Trent Hentschel- Defence Development
Scott Thompson- Midfield Development
Matthew Lokan- SANFL Coach

It's not just Kenny that is a deep think tank right there, no wonder Kenny is tipping finals in 2020 when he is
surrounded by genius with more genius right around the corner. Port Adelaide fans that is a coaches box full
of greatness and ideas, stop complaining and start booking finals tickets.

At the end of 2017, he held the club to ransom by threatening to piss off to Gold Coast unless we gave him what he wanted. How could anyone want a person of that character as coach of their football club? Not to mention how unjustified the extension was since we had under-performed for three years in a row and subsequently continued to under-perform in the following two years.

As my avatar says, Hinkley will be sacked, but it should have happened a long time ago.

Ken Hinkley- Senior Coach
Michael Voss- Senior Assistant
Jarrad Schofield- Midfield Coach
Nathan Bassett- Forwards Coach
Brent Montgomery- Defence Coach
Dean Brogan- Ruck Coach
Chad Cornes- Forward Development
Trent Hentschel- Defence Development
Scott Thompson- Midfield Development
Matthew Lokan- SANFL Coach

It's not just Kenny that is a deep think tank right there, no wonder Kenny is tipping finals in 2020 when he is
surrounded by genius with more genius right around the corner. Port Adelaide fans that is a coaches box full
of greatness and ideas, stop complaining and start booking finals tickets.

Trent Hentschel and Jarrad Schofield are probably the pick of the bunch by a long way. It is really Port heavy with 6 out of the 10 having played for the club (AFL or SANFL) creating an echo chamber of reflections of past glory. It would be nice to get in some high end external coaching talent as we are probably peak 'Peter Principle' at the moment.

Back