Rumour Dayne Beams set to “retire”

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a relatively balanced way to respond to what was essentially a criticism of your post. Having said that I think if you spend even a small amount of time with someone with a clinical diagnosis/severe mental health (i.e. not a self diagnosed/attention seeking type presentation) that might help you to understand the realities of life for some people. The old school way of treatment of this was always to 'harden up' or 'get on with it' and now suicide rates are through the roof comparitively. I do agree some people can benefit from tough love but you have to be really sure they're actually going to benefit from hearing it. Food for thought.
What hes saying and i agree with is most people think theyre clinically depressed and people are pandering to it when they do in fact just need to harden up a bit

No one denies telling someone actually suffering its a bad way to handle it.

That said, how do you know the difference. We can't keep pandering to this MH pandemic, society is so much less resilient now than it used to be but we cant keep telling people to suck it up...

That's a relatively balanced way to respond to what was essentially a criticism of your post. Having said that I think if you spend even a small amount of time with someone with a clinical diagnosis/severe mental health (i.e. not a self diagnosed/attention seeking type presentation) that might help you to understand the realities of life for some people. The old school way of treatment of this was always to 'harden up' or 'get on with it' and now suicide rates are through the roof comparitively. I do agree some people can benefit from tough love but you have to be really sure they're actually going to benefit from hearing it. Food for thought.

To be clear, I have been exposed to genuine mental health sufferers before and appreciate their reality in general terms. The point I conceded is that I have little direct personal experience.

Anyway, I think we're broadly on the same side of the argument here, except perhaps in relation to the question of extent. I believe there are too many cases in which it has become convenient to claim mental illness. You seem to be suggesting that there aren't as many as I've implied. No-one really knows, it's a very difficult social / medical issue.

Feel for the guy. People are speculating. Even though it's not nice to say, I do hope drugs or alcohol were involved and this was not an attempt on his own life.
Young, good looking man with so much opportunity ahead for both he and his wife and children..
Having dealt with mental illness myself, it's just a terrible life sapping illness which is, thankfully, at the forefront of discussion and healthcare in today's day and age.

Spot on. How much of Beams mental illness is directly attributed to his own decisions. We are all accountable for our actions, realising that isnt "mental health" its a wake up call. Everyone goes through rough patches, all of a sudden every rough patch people go through is "mental health".

Easily the most overused words in society atm. People think any negative emotion like sadness, nerves, anger etc is "mental health". It isnt, people have these emotions every single day, youre not special or "depressed", learn how to deal with it ffs.

News stories of teenagers suffering from "mental health" over the "climate crisis". Give me a ******* spell. Stop pandering to this nonsense, some people actually do just have to pull their socks up. Takes away from the genuine MH cases...

I don't necessarily disagree with you but I'd rather people got away with playing the "mental health" card than deal with the consequences of someone being ignored who is genuinely suffering from mental health issues.

I don't necessarily disagree with you but I'd rather people got away with playing the "mental health" card than deal with the consequences of someone being ignored who is genuinely suffering from mental health issues.

The real tragedy in all of this is a lot of people who are suffering from prolonged, significant bouts of depression or mental health issues are usually the same ones who remain silent.

I don't think others playing the "card" encourages those suffering to speak out at all. It undermines the seriousness of their illness imo. 'Mental health issues' are a relatively new concept, and as such our understanding and treatment of it is rather primitive.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood and Dayne Beams’ management to work out settlement for midfielder’s exit

Dayne Beams has played his last game for Collingwood.

Despite having three years to run on a four-year deal worth about $2 million, all parties are resigned to the fact Beams’ 177-game career is over.

Beams, who turned 30 on Wednesday, has barely stepped foot inside the club for months as he deals with mental health issues.

The 2010 premiership player, All-Australian and two-time best and fairest winner was involved in a car accident in the Melbourne suburb of Donvale on Thursday afternoon and stayed in hospital overnight with minor injuries.

Collingwood and Beams’ management will now work towards reaching a settlement in relation to the estimated $1.5 million remaining on his contract.

The Pies gave up two first round picks during the 2018 trade period as part of the deal to bring the midfielder back to the club, but Beams managed only nine games last season and none after Round 11.

He had hip and shoulder surgery and was admitted to hospital in September after an adverse reaction to pain medication.

Beams twice took a leave of absence from the club last year to deal with mental health issues.

His recruitment was the subject of strong internal debate at Collingwood, with club chiefs split on whether it was the right call to bring him back.

The Beams exit will be a test case for the AFL as an increasing number of players step away from the game to deal with mental health issues.

Tom Boyd retired last year because of a back injury and a mental health condition, but walked away from the $1.5 million owed to him by the Bulldogs in the last two years of his deal.

In one scenario, Beams could argue he is entitled to the entirety of the $1.5 million left on his contract, likening his mental health problems to a physical injury such as a career-ending knee problem.

The Magpies, who have star trio Jordan De Goey, Darcy Moore and Scott Pendlebury out of contract at seasons end, face a delicate negotiation.

Beams in December put his AFL career on hold for the second time in six months, saying he was seeking “a brighter future”.

“Trying to improve my quality of life and meet the demands of playing and training for football at the elite level continues to be a struggle,” Beams said two months ago.

“My health and football have come to feel like competing priorities, which is not a position that is helping or enabling me to meet my responsibilities.

“I have been trying to meet this challenge for a number of years but, with a series of debilitating recent injuries and my mental health a work in progress, I have reached a point where I know that stepping away from football is necessary.

“I want to thank all who have supported me and my family. I look forward to a brighter future.”

Beams surprised many by organising a trip to the Kokoda Track in October and has started painting as a form of therapy.

He last month put his 2010 premiership medal up for auction to raise money for bushfire victims, with Collingwood president Eddie McGuire registering the highest bid and purchasing it for $27,500.

Can someone tell me why Collingwood would pay him out? He's not coming to training so can't they terminate his employment without pay? Is it the PR angle?

They have every right to pay him nothing but they will come to a settlement. With what he has gone through, they can’t look like they have turned their backs on him. The issue will be what he does with the money they give him...

Spot on. How much of Beams mental illness is directly attributed to his own decisions. We are all accountable for our actions, realising that isnt "mental health" its a wake up call. Everyone goes through rough patches, all of a sudden every rough patch people go through is "mental health".

Easily the most overused words in society atm. People think any negative emotion like sadness, nerves, anger etc is "mental health". It isnt, people have these emotions every single day, youre not special or "depressed", learn how to deal with it ffs.

News stories of teenagers suffering from "mental health" over the "climate crisis". Give me a ******* spell. Stop pandering to this nonsense, some people actually do just have to pull their socks up. Takes away from the genuine MH cases...

Its this kind of attitude which is why so many sufferers (especially men) find it so hard to speak up, and normally suffer in silence until it gets too much and something gives. They're afraid if they come out and say they are depressed, people like you will say "ffs it's just a rough patch, everyone feels sad harden the * up" and that makes it so much worse.

You are the reason so many people are applauded as brave recently when they publicly state they are battling depression or mental health issues...

I think pretty much every adult individually knows the difference between every day nerves and sadness compared to a huge blank void draining every ounce of happiness and energy from your being..

Can someone tell me why Collingwood would pay him out? He's not coming to training so can't they terminate his employment without pay? Is it the PR angle?

We won't be

Beams actions at the club over past 12 months have been disgusting, he will get something but not even the AFLPA could argue the full payment.

Anyway I'm glad this has come to an end, I won't miss you Dayne but good luck in the future and most of all look after yourself for your family.

We won't be

Beams actions at the club over past 12 months have been disgusting, he will get something but not even the AFLPA could argue the full payment.

Anyway I'm glad this has come to an end, I won't miss you Dayne but good luck in the future and most of all look after yourself for your family.
What he do in the last 12 months but be in debt from gambling?

Very well said spot on.

They have every right to pay him nothing but they will come to a settlement. With what he has gone through, they can’t look like they have turned their backs on him. The issue will be what he does with the money they give him...

.. You would have to know Beams' contract details before saying what rights either party has under their signed contract...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back