Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A woman at work asked me how my weekend was, I mentioned seeing Little Women and loving it, she laughed and said "Oh getting in touch with your feminine side, are we?"

It took all my professionalism to not obviously roll my eyes at her. This doesn't happen to women watching movies with a predominantly male cast, but is taken as the norm. There's a huge double standard on these things, as much as we like to consider this kind of petty sexism non-existent.
The flipside is that women who like typically male movies/hobbies don't just get a little joke made in passing, but get attacked as not being a true fan and are ridiculed as doing it for male attention. The double standard is going in the exact opposite direction.

A woman at work asked me how my weekend was, I mentioned seeing Little Women and loving it, she laughed and said "Oh getting in touch with your feminine side, are we?"

It took all my professionalism to not obviously roll my eyes at her. This doesn't happen to women watching movies with a predominantly male cast, but is taken as the norm. There's a huge double standard on these things, as much as we like to consider this kind of petty sexism non-existent.
are you ok?

jeepers

perhaps you guys misread my post....i am agreeing girl power is a bad descriptor for what specifically is being criticized of CERTAIN movies.

its not lead women existing, its not many women in the movie, its not even one or many women being strong, independent, or kicking ass....its just when the producers of the film are too focused on identity politics etc and neglect good story telling.
No, we get it. Movies in which men are flawless badasses are fine, movies where women are flawless badasses are "identity politics, feminism, SJWs etc". A bunch of men quipping to each other while kicking everyone's ass isn't a problem, but if women do it, then that's a problem. Essentially, women doing the same thing as men is viewed as strange because men doing it is the 'norm'.

No, we get it. Movies in which men are flawless badasses are fine, movies where women are flawless badasses are "identity politics, feminism, SJWs etc". A bunch of men quipping to each other while kicking everyone's ass isn't a problem, but if women do it, then that's a problem. Essentially, women doing the same thing as men is viewed as strange because men doing it is the 'norm'.
Wow, sir.

Wow, sir.
There's truth to this. People roll their eyes in Endgame at the women all coming together, but if Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Captain America had done the exact same thing, it wouldn't have even registered. People have been conditioned to accept men in these roles, it's seen as the norm, but usually there's been one woman at best, just behind the men. There's exceptions, but these are rare.

Some men are simply struggling seeing women in the roles that they consider 'theirs'. Despite the fact it's still only a tiny fraction. We don't need to have such a fragile ego, there's still plenty of other movies that cater to us.

There's truth to this. People roll their eyes in Endgame at the women all coming together, but if Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Captain America had done the exact same thing, it wouldn't have even registered. People have been conditioned to accept men in these roles, it's seen as the norm, but usually there's been one woman at best, just behind the men. There's exceptions, but these are rare.

Some men are simply struggling seeing women in the roles that they consider 'theirs'. Despite the fact it's still only a tiny fraction. We don't need to have such a fragile ego, there's still plenty of other movies that cater to us.
Im wow sir'ing that you include me with those others who you can legitimately criticize...ive clearly shown how im not like them.

One of the best movies I have seen in the last couple of years almost had no male involvement (at least cast wise) in Annihilation. Still bamboozled it was basically just released on Netflix as it was a complete gem. Hollywood is to a greater degree responsible for this conditioning I guess.

Been watching the James Dean movies he was in. Had a boxset of all of them gathering cobwebs and decided to give it a go. Probably haven't seen them since I was a kid. East of Eden is an excellent film. Rebel Without a Cause is complete style over substance. Not a big fan of it. Part way through Giant so far so good.

Saw Uncut Gems recently with Adam Sandler playing a dramatic role which he has done well over the years (see Punch Drunk Love and Reign Over Me). Got better as it went on. Obviously the Safdie bros are capable of making good stuff. I loved Good Time. This wasn't as good but still pretty good.

Speaking of Good Time and Rob Pattinson (who has become a great actor of recent times) I saw The Lighthouse recently at the cinema. An immersive experience to say the least. I wasn't taken by the story & plot as much as I would have liked but Dafoe and Pattinson put on an acting tour de fource and the cinematography was pretty special.

I think you have an unconscious bias that 'I liked Terminator and Aliens' doesn't fully cover.

Now we're heading down the unconscious bias path, are we?
We get it.....everyone's a villain....even subconsciously.... but not you.
Your 'integrity' is so disingenuous....but you don't see it. Maybe it's just subconscious.

Midsommar -

Must say, it's stuck around with me since seeing it a few days ago.
Snap shots keep coming and going and the end...even though one knows what's going to come about, is ever so haunting.....but 2.5 hours? 7/10

The flipside is that women who like typically male movies/hobbies don't just get a little joke made in passing, but get attacked as not being a true fan and are ridiculed as doing it for male attention. The double standard is going in the exact opposite direction.
When you have women who make livings out of going to conventions in sexualised costume charging for photos from possibly insecure guys it doesn't help.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Geez Jack.

For that to be a fair example, literally every make character would have to come together at the exclusion of females to attack the female villain.

*Two male characters on screen out of dozens of mixed gender cast*

Jack: See, its just as bad and truly misogynistic!

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love me some Tarantino, prepared to cut the guy alot of slack but this was just utter sh1te. Self-indulgent w@nkery dialed up to 11 with zero plot to hang it on.

Sorry for quoting you in this thread as I didn't think it was worth bumping it's own thread, but I lasted up until the Bruce Lee scene before turning it off. Do not get the hype that surrounds OUATIH.

Totally agree with your post.

Great cinematography and acting doesn't make a great movie IMO. So underwhelming.

Midsommar -

Must say, it's stuck around with me since seeing it a few days ago.
Snap shots keep coming and going and the end...even though one knows what's going to come about, is ever so haunting.....but 2.5 hours? 7/10
Anything you recommend is always worth gold. So I checked it out on IMDB...Wow, sir. Downloading now :heart:

Screenshot_2020-02-14 Midsommar (2019) - IMDb.png

Hahah you're an idiot
Many people agree with me too. So it's not like I'm just being contentious. Tarantino is too self-indulgent, too into himself, too self-conscious in his movies. There's always a sense that in the universe of his movies, it isn't "real", it's too spoofish or something, that takes the audience out of that world, makes you realize it's just some nerd director/writer trying to be cute. Like Rian Johnson in The Last Jedi.

I much higher rate directors/writers who sink you into the world they've made, and their voice isn't noticeable, just the characters and story. Kind of like how a good referee is seldom heard during a game.

Many people agree with me too. So it's not like I'm just being contentious. Tarantino is too self-indulgent, too into himself, too self-conscious in his movies. There's always a sense that in the universe of his movies, it isn't "real", it's too spoofish or something, that takes the audience out of that world, makes you realize it's just some nerd director/writer trying to be cute. Like Rian Johnson in The Last Jedi.

I much higher rate directors/writers who sink you into the world they've made, and their voice isn't noticeable, just the characters and story. Kind of like how a good referee is seldom heard during a game.

you’re literally criticising Tarantino for the same thing that people love his movies for.

criticising him for making stories that aren’t real or being indulgent is like yelling at the sky for being blue.

I think it’s maybe more relevant to say you just don’t like his style. He’s not my favourite director, but I know what I’m in for when I watch his films. They certainly are not bad films. And technically he is sound in his storytelling and ability to capture coverage.

that’s more then you can say for a lot of directors. There’s plenty out there making big dollars to direct films that don’t work because they just aren’t good enough and there isn’t enough good directors to go around.

you’re literally criticising Tarantino for the same thing that people love his movies for.

criticising him for making stories that aren’t real or being indulgent is like yelling at the sky for being blue.

I think it’s maybe more relevant to say you just don’t like his style. He’s not my favourite director, but I know what I’m in for when I watch his films. They certainly are not bad films. And technically he is sound in his storytelling and ability to capture coverage.

that’s more then you can say for a lot of directors. There’s plenty out there making big dollars to direct films that don’t work because they just aren’t good enough and there isn’t enough good directors to go around.
That's a better way of putting it....how you wrote it. Apologies for my incite-ful comment earlier. So yes...he's not mine nor others cup of tea. His movies are specifically spoofish, there's a consistency there. So he's good at spoofs and portraying cool and swank/etc. Fluff not substance. Or just like his movie title "pulp fiction" perfectly describes him. It'd be nice if he wrote/directed something outside his comfort zone.

Yeah disagreed man sorry. I find a lot of people are either too unintelligent or spend too much time on their phones while watching to understand his movies (the criticism of OUATIH - what's the plot?), and a lot of people like to hate on something popular just to be contrary.

He is incredibly heavily influenced by spaghetti westerns, go and watch some of them and you'll see a lot of unrealistic stuff too which is what he bases a lot off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back