Game Day AFLW Rd 2 - Bulldogs v Melbourne, Friday, 7:40 @ Whitten Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Tough for Kemp, particularly as it happened with 15s on the clock. I thought there had been studies done showing women were somewhat more susceptible to acl/knee injuries, but it may just have to do with the lack of full-time training/conditioning that leaves them more open to it? It can be a very innocuous thing that does it, a few friends have busted their knees just mucking around playing uni footy.

On the game, was very fun to watch. Really good tackling pressure from the whole team, and excellent composure and ball use. Hore just needs to polish up her goalkicking (as does the team I suppose) and we'll be set for a very good season.

Tough for Kemp, particularly as it happened with 15s on the clock. I thought there had been studies done showing women were somewhat more susceptible to acl/knee injuries, but it may just have to do with the lack of full-time training/conditioning that leaves them more open to it? It can be a very innocuous thing that does it, a few friends have busted their knees just mucking around playing uni footy.

On the game, was very fun to watch. Really good tackling pressure from the whole team, and excellent composure and ball use. Hore just needs to polish up her goalkicking (as does the team I suppose) and we'll be set for a very good season.

There is a component or a thought of a lack of conditioning/training but the other theory is women have wider hips, and this make the knees more vulnerable to acl’s

Is there any truth in that report that there's a biomechanical factor in play? Something about the wider hips and pelvis of the female body creating different forces which the knee has to deal with.

Pseudoscience aside, watched the replay today, was a genuinely enjoyable game to watch I thought. Skills have definitely improved on a steady trajectory. Hanks' one handed gather from a tap and quick kick out of the contest was very nice to watch. Paxman and Pearce are in their own league, Hore and Scott not far behind. Bit concerning the lack of impact O'Dea had in wet and sluggish conditions. Perhaps as the competition gets more skillful and quicker she is being left behind. She's definitely not quick on her feet.

There is no doubt some factor with the female body because they're playing on top notch surfaces and still 2-4 times more likely to do their ACL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back