Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
No qualms with Gears leading again, though that would suggest he’s best 22 unless injured. I just hope that by some stage this season, we’re discussing a player/s that will have developed to a point we’re ready to move past Gears in terms of his on-field. Nothing against him at all, just wanting to see growth.
Issue is if he is Captain, that conversation cant happen.

Just watched the Rath presser. Thought it was one of the best I've seen come out of the saints in 9 seasons.

This wasn't like the Ratts presser after the Sydney game either where we finally got someone at the club to admit and acknowledge the frustrations we've all had for several years.

Straight to the point. No fluff. So good basic detail in there.

He's good at explaining what's happening in basic terms without it being a massive sell job.

There's no this is going to be amazing blah blah blah. Just the actualities.

Improvement on Lethers talking footy matters.
10x better than Finnis talking s**t on footy matters.
100x better than Bassat and Summers.

I think he speaks better than Ratts who can lose his train of thought a bit and get easily side tracked onto other issues. He's a bit jumbly at times. But that's ok. We need him to improve the players not be the master public speaker.

I'm feeling quietly confident about Rath leading the football dept. A bloke who can front the media talk footy and then also manage a dept to develop an elite program.

Lethers as COO is a much better fit. A bloke who can demand accountability and manage a decent sized organisation. He's done well getting Rath across. Someone with some cut and thrust. It's just a pitty he wasn't a bit more ruthless with Richo.

Trust issues.
Can't blame you on that.

Doesn't help this organisation has been selling snake oil for 9 full seasons. A lot of it just so utterly full of s**t.

Organisations that do that then don't deliver deserve to lose the trust of their customers.

Its a testament to saints fans how much they've forgiven them and bought in again and again.

We've given a lot of people 2 chances here.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Can't blame you on that.

Doesn't help this organisation has been selling snake oil for 9 full seasons. A lot of it just so utterly full of s**t.

Organisations that do that then don't deliver deserve to lose the trust of their customers.

Its a testament to saints fans how much they've forgiven them and bought in again and again.

We've given a lot of people 2 chances here.
Same as every club. Doesn’t help they we had less money to spend than a lot of clubs and we are guessing whether the afl would let us spend what we needed to years ago. Now they obviously let us spend what we need to. Change of afl leadership probably helped on that issue.

Just on Coff seeing him this pre season compared to the last few years he is just so much more confident in his body. I actually think the game he went down he was about to break out simmilarly to Clarke against North. He just seemed to be finding the ball with a lot more ease. The thing for him this pre season being more confident in his body is that he'll hopefully be better at things like going back with the flight and breaking tackles which I've seen this pre season. This is to go with his already skilled side of his game.

In addition, Coffield has despite what people think shown an ability to play midfield in the VFL and in under 18's. Whether it means thats where he ends up is a different story. However he is capable. However like Clark I think it is in the best interests of both to play at Half back for in Clark's case this year and Coff's case at least a few more seasons before transitioning into the midfield. I also agree with who ever said that Coff doesn't seem as naturally suited to the midfield as say Clark but I think he still has the scope. When he has played midfield he shown an ability to play the sweeper role well and gets the ball going after the first handball out of congestion. In addition, with his new size hopefully he will begin to break out of stoppages a little better.

Overall I think he has the ability to get to Elliot Yeo level's in terms of productivity, minus the level of aggression.

I thought we bypassed Naughton in the draft in order to draft 2 midfielders - Clark and Coffield. I’ll be bloody disappointed if these two don’t make an impact in the midfield sooner rather than later.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Same as every club. Doesn’t help they we had less money to spend than a lot of clubs and we are guessing whether the afl would let us spend what we needed to years ago. Now they obviously let us spend what we need to. Change of afl leadership probably helped on that issue.
Nah there's basic s**t that costs no money. They have been caught lying out their ass.

For example you don't recall the club stating disposal was going to be key and they'd only draft good users of the footy like hawthorn.

Only to admit they hadn't been doing that.

Theyve been in sell mode with very little regard for turning it into outcomes. More concerned with resonating with fans then putting in the actions to deliver success.

I feel that's changed over the last 12 month's.

I reckon there's an emphasis now on actually delivering rather than selling. Everything is about the outcome.

Quixote

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jan 1, 2007
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well folks, greetings and salutations. After the long off-season of hibernation, my biological clock has started marching to the tune...

What's new in Saints land?

I'm just reading through the articles on the SEN website and to be honest, thinking of placing a wager on us to win the Flag. This is how it begins, right? Before the inevitable collapse? ;)

Seriously though, are we the hot ticket in town right now?!

That practice match against Hawthorn at Moorabbin is going to be GREAT scenes.

Max King running out in #12
:fire:

Oh and this little beauty:

"Seven of the Saints' first eight games are under the roof at Marvel Stadium."

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Nah there's basic s**t that costs no money. They have been caught lying out their ass.

For example you don't recall the club stating disposal was going to be key and they'd only draft good users of the footy like hawthorn.

Only to admit they hadn't been doing that.

Theyve been in sell mode with very little regard for turning it into outcomes. More concerned with resonating with fans then putting in the actions to deliver success.

I feel that's changed over the last 12 month's.

I reckon there's an emphasis now on actually delivering rather than selling. Everything is about the outcome.
Just out interest what changed 9 years ago apart from winning less. Can’t remember them ever saying they didn’t draft good users of the ball 9 years ago. Sell mode? Resonating with fans? Reckon you take social media as fact sometimes. And work well in hindsight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just watched the Rath presser. Thought it was one of the best I've seen come out of the saints in 9 seasons.

This wasn't like the Ratts presser after the Sydney game either where we finally got someone at the club to admit and acknowledge the frustrations we've all had for several years.

Straight to the point. No fluff. So good basic detail in there.

He's good at explaining what's happening in basic terms without it being a massive sell job.

There's no this is going to be amazing blah blah blah. Just the actualities.

Improvement on Lethers talking footy matters.
10x better than Finnis talking s**t on footy matters.
100x better than Bassat and Summers.

I think he speaks better than Ratts who can lose his train of thought a bit and get easily side tracked onto other issues. He's a bit jumbly at times. But that's ok. We need him to improve the players not be the master public speaker.

I'm feeling quietly confident about Rath leading the football dept. A bloke who can front the media talk footy and then also manage a dept to develop an elite program.

Lethers as COO is a much better fit. A bloke who can demand accountability and manage a decent sized organisation. He's done well getting Rath across. Someone with some cut and thrust. It's just a pitty he wasn't a bit more ruthless with Richo.
When was this / any link St C?

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would Webster be the best option?
I love Webster but I don’t know if he’s in the team for round one. If Long plays which it sounds like he might, I reckon he takes the last spot in the back seven. Howard, Carlisle, Wilkie, Geary (if fit), Roberton, Clark and Long could be the back seven. I could easily be wrong though. Probably depends on whether Roberton starts in the ones.

Last edited:
I thought we bypassed Naughton in the draft in order to draft 2 midfielders - Clark and Coffield. I’ll be bloody disappointed if these two don’t make an impact in the midfield sooner rather than later.

If your waiting for Coff to play in the guts you better be young , the bloke will be a gun off half back

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
I love Webster but I don’t know if he’s in the team for round one. If Long plays which it sounds like he might, I reckon he takes the last spot in the back six. Howard, Carlisle, Wilkie, Geary (if fit), Roberton, Clark and Long could be the back seven. I could easily be wrong though. Probably depends on whether Roberton starts in the ones.
It might depend on whether Hunter get more mid time this year. But Coffield has also been impressing this off season and Savage is another one who you would expect to play seniors as well at some stage. We suddenly have a lot of usable depth which is a good problem.

Webster has in his favour is he would be the best defensive player out go them all but is still attacking and has great disposal. But he seems a step behind everyone else at this stage of pre season.

It might depend on whether Hunter get more mid time this year. But Coffield has also been impressing this off season and Savage is another one who you would expect to play seniors as well at some stage. We suddenly have a lot of usable depth which is a good problem.

Webster has in his favour is he would be the best defensive player out go them all but is still attacking and has great disposal. But he seems a step behind everyone else at this stage of pre season.
Im not having a go at you but a lot on here say Webster is a great kick , well he is now and again . People seem to remember when one of his bullet passes hits a target but forget the other 3 that hit the opposition on the chest, he can be a bit of a turn over king at times , that is not much between him and Savage IMO

If your waiting for Coff to play in the guts you better be young , the bloke will be a gun off half back

He’d better be because Naughton will be (and was always going to be) a gun key position player.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Im not having a go at you but a lot on here say Webster is a great kick , well he is now and again . People seem to remember when one of his bullet passes hits a target but forget the other 3 that hit the opposition on the chest, he can be a bit of a turn over king at times , that is not much between him and Savage IMO
Except for attack on the ball and hardness. I doubt either play round one unless one has a good preseason game.

Mowman

Cancelled
Day Off
Veteran St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2023 10k Posts St Kilda - Marcus Windhager Player Sponsor 2022 St Kilda - James Frawley Player Sponsor 2021 Saints Pledge Contributor St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019
May 19, 2013
i think he has a great looking kicking action not so sure its as effective as it looks

He’d better be because Naughton will be (and was always going to be) a gun key position player.

Why was he always going to be a Gun , At the time we had plenty of Key Forwards ,

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
He is a better player than Savage - better one-on-one defender, just as attacking and I believe a more purposeful kick. He takes a lot more risk with his kicking, which you're right, sometimes dont pay off but he opens the game up more for us than someone like Savage who generally kick it down the line every time.

He is a better player than Savage - better one-on-one defender, just as attacking and I believe a more purposeful kick. He takes a lot more risk with his kicking, which you're right, sometimes dont pay off but he opens the game up more for us than someone like Savage who generally kick it down the line every time.
Im hoping it wont be too long before Coff and Paton are playing instead of Webster and Gears , we need some class down back

Back