Analysis 2020 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

While it's good to see Warner doing well, I don't see where he fits in the 22. Possible he could be tried as a pressure forward if his attack on the man is as frenetic as it's said to be. But having him, Kennedy, Parker and Hewett all in the same midfield.... yeah, it's a no from me.
Id be happy to see Hewett on the bench and Parker and JPK 50/50 fwd split and Warner in the guts. We've seen the best of Hewett and hes a C grader.

Id be happy to see Hewett on the bench and Parker and JPK 50/50 fwd split and Warner in the guts. We've seen the best of Hewett and hes a C grader.

Hewett is not a C grader.

I think all three can still be in the midfield, just with lesser rotations so we can have more of Florent, Rowbottom, Blakey and possibly Stephens in there to add a new dynamic. Think the last thing we need is another strictly-inside bull at the coalface so I'd be happy for Warner to bide his time in the NEAFL and dominate at that level.

Except Gary Ablett Jnr and Dustin Martin......for instance.

There is a better example closer to home.

Jarred McVeigh

After his age 21 season (4th season with the club after not playing in his first season) he had played 58 games and was averaging 8.9 disposals a game (5.6 kicks and 3.3 handpasses) for his career and just come off a season where he averaged 10.1 disposals (6.9 kicks and 3.2 handpasses)

So for Florent he can either still improve his disposal count like McVeigh did or learn to use the ball better when he has it in a far more effective manner.

There is no reason that he can't do so and his age and time in the system doesn't prevent him doing so either.

Was there anyone at the training game yesterday to shed some light on what they saw? From the Instagram pictures, it looks like the red team had the best backs available and the yellow team had the best forwards available which would suggest a combination of both would be a good bulk of the best 22. I’m open to correction but anyone say for sure if this is what happened?

When those 53 games have been spent almost entirely developing and not anywhere close to a player's prime, then they absolutely do. He has had some starring games, and some not so. Why is it so difficult for you to grasp that someone might just think those starring games will become more and more regular?

Why’s it’s so difficult to accept that there’s not many stars in the comp and Outside of the Florent family most don’t expect stardom from the kid?

This is going around in circles I’m
Not having a go at him, if anything I’m saying ease up in unrealistic expectations

Florent doesn't need to be a star. He just needs to be a consistent player week in week out.
As do all our players, which will have us in a very good position.

Better said at the point I was making

He’s a good run with player worth a few Craig birds at least

To me the potential a graders on the list are

Heeney (haven’t given up)
Blakey
Aliir
Dawson
Rowbottom
Mccartin maybe but wouldn’t bet money on it

Not counting new draftees as haven’t seen them yet

Just my opinion

Why’s it’s so difficult to accept that there’s not many stars in the comp and Outside of the Florent family most don’t expect stardom from the kid?

Not having a go at him, if anything I’m saying ease up in unrealistic expectations

Yes we will have to agree to disagree. I don't think there's anything wrong with unrealistic expectations. It's nothing every footballer wouldn't have thought of already as they watch the greats and try to emulate their games based off them.

To me the potential a graders on the list are

Heeney (haven’t given up)
Blakey
Aliir
Dawson
Rowbottom
Mccartin maybe but wouldn’t bet money on it

Not counting new draftees as haven’t seen them yet

Just my opinion

With you on this one all the way

I guess it all comes down to people's definition of a star, I personally think Florent could end up being a similar player to Treloar, will run all day pick up numerous possessions but will butcher the ball a bit.

Whilst I would concede Treloar was well ahead of Florent at the end of their 3rd seasons, i would say that Florent having spent more time in the midfield since the halfway point of last season is on an upward trajectory to reach a similar level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to clarify is A grade the same as Star?
I think most would agree that there is one quarter Craig Bird's difference between those two levels and then another one eighth Craig Bird to reach superstar status. You can argue all you like about which player should be in which category but you can't dispute the ratings system itself.

I don't understand why people talk about Hayward so little when talking about young talent.

Good point. Injury and the yips in front of goal marred his 2019 but he has no shortage of talent.

I don't understand why people talk about Hayward so little when talking about young talent.

Possibly because he's a medium forward. They exist in a sort of limbo state where they're not as spectacular as the smalls, and not as dominant as the talls, so often fly under the radar.

Possibly because he's a medium forward. They exist in a sort of limbo state where they're not as spectacular as the smalls, and not as dominant as the talls, so often fly under the radar.
Hayward is a really good mark but I think was instructed to stay down to crumb. I hope our "new" game plan uses his strengths better.

Hayward is a really good mark but I think was instructed to stay down to crumb. I hope our "new" game plan uses his strengths better.
I heard, I think Haywood (might have been one of the coaches) say that he'll play further up the ground more this year.
Seems like a lot of talent will be running through the mids.. Kennedy, Parker, Hewett... Florent, Rowbottom... Blakey, Paps, Taylor, Stephens, McInerney, Ronke, Heeney. Maybe the mids wont be predictable, as some on here are concerned about

Shouldn’t the best 22 be picked each week? The obsession of playing young guys at the cost of being competitive seems counter productive from a club performance perspective. If a first year player is good enough then they will play. Gifting them a block of games won’t make them a better player long term. They should be good enough to make without the charity.

The Swans have never played anyone out of charity. They played them because they thought the players could influence a game. That didn't always work. But they had all performed at the lower level and were given games on that form

Not sure if he has been told to stay down but I think he has been told / trained to change his approach to marking which may be taking some time to adapt to.

I mentioned early on that his technique of trying to take chest marks regularly instead of reaching for the ball would be limited at AFL level and he would have to adapt. We have definitely seen a reduction of this kind of approach from him.

It’s almost always better to take a mark overhead as it allows more separation from your opponent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back