Review AFL scratch match v Brisbane @ Metricon | Feb 15 2020

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
From what I saw Fletcher, Rowell , Sharpe good, Rosa did ok but maybe tried to do too much. Conroy, Murtagh long way off , Farrah did a couple things. Poor Ace don’t think he may appear again at this level
Thanks for the review.
Fletcher just looked to find his feet at the end of last year. Be interesting to see if he can put together some more good play.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Cheers for all the updates , fantastic job. Sounds like Rowell and Anderson are living up to their hype ... and our 4th year guns Bowes Ainsworth and Brodie are gonna break out. Keen for next week where I can see it all visually

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

The duo were well supported by Will Brodie, who probably won more disposals than any other player on the ground – particularly in the first half. The top-10 draft pick has struggled to cement his spot in the senior side, but showed he has improved his outside game to add to his excellent inside skills to push for Round 1 selection.

Sunstar

Senior List
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah, of course. Still young and very light.
He was being diplomatic , the kid had about half a dozen clangers including kneeing an open goal. His skills decline substantially in the wet weather and he can’t compete in the air . Conroy and Murtagh were basically witches hats as well. Last year we rejected three Allie players ( only 1 is still with us) who issues were consistently and fitness but at least they had proved they could play the game and their problems are fixable.

We have at least four on our list that have never done that and physically may not be able to do that. What it does is direct coaching resources that could be spent elsewhere getting them up to even neafl level . The suns are a football team not a charity. Any one of our 19!year olds would have done better than the three players above. If we had spent as much time on a Brodie Foster or Cooper Portelli as we do on project players we probably would have some afl players on our hands.

Till we are successful play footballers

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He was being diplomatic , the kid had about half a dozen clangers including kneeing an open goal. His skills decline substantially in the wet weather and he can’t compete in the air . Conroy and Murtagh were basically witches hats as well. Last year we rejected three Allie players ( only 1 is still with us) who issues were consistently and fitness but at least they had proved they could play the game and their problems are fixable.

We have at least four on our list that have never done that and physically may not be able to do that. What it does is direct coaching resources that could be spent elsewhere getting them up to even neafl level . The suns are a football team not a charity. Any one of our 19!year olds would have done better than the three players above. If we had spent as much time on a Brodie Foster or Cooper Portelli as we do on project players we probably would have some afl players on our hands.

^ Who are the 3 you are talking about ?

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Only stayed til 3/4 time when our forward line became a low NEAFL standard setup and the dew became a major factor
So humid.I got sweaty from sweating
Some good endeavour
Rowell Anderson and Sharpe are serious footballers
Will Brodie was great- really good
You can sense the anxiety the Lions defenders had whenever Rankine got near the ball- great to see
Benny Ainsworth was super busy and involved
Burgess very decent up back
Ace was a bit embarrassing at this level tbh
Rosas Jr is lightning quick- we will persist with him until we know one way or the other if he's AFL standard
Some good signs from Jesse Joyce I thought
2MP exactly the same as he has always been
Contesting but not exciting but not really a night for the talls
Still zero system going forward but hopefully Rowell and Anderson will straighten us up in time

Last edited:

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I'm not going to pretend to have as deep an understanding of our academy kids as you apparently do.
I would just say that I imagine the decisions made are done with the concept of identifying the next Blicavs, McKenna or our own Greenwood not the next GHS.

If they are legit AFL level talents then they would have been picked up elsewhere or will get their chance in the coming years.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Isn't he talking about Gore, Portelli and Foster.
Don’t know 🤷‍♂️
Just sounds like another ex-suns player family member having a sook.

Who knows I’m probably just miss reading it.
Don’t see why anyone would single out 3 very young players in a pre season practice match and say they have no upside to them after a few quarters of wet slippery per season footy

Last edited:

Pasthispeak

Debutant
Nov 6, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Don’t know 🤷‍♂️

Don’t see why anyone would single out 3 very young players in a pre season practice match and say they have no upside to them after a few quarters of wet slippery per season footy

I think he is emotional but I can tell you there is some ill feeling in clubland about how local players are overlooked starting with Dayne Zorko. Also the suns have a long unsuccessful history with project players starting with Karmichael Hunt ( who Ken Hinkley of all people was pulled out of training to work with. I cannot think of one project player who has been successful for the suns.

Aussie Rules unless you are Irish or a giant like Mason Cox has skills that need to be picked up at any early age. A 170 65kg png kid and a 20yr old decathlete are really up against it I am afraid.

To me the suns need to play Moneyball for a while. An example Sunstar could have mentioned is Koenan would have been a better choice than Murtagh. He has played Allies and Qafl grand finals and held his own.

Remember the Gold Coast has produced Rewoldt , Zorko , Bears, Hale , Tippett , Osborne etc, it should be a goldmine for you but is not happening at the moment as local players are not being given the chance even when their skills are better than the alternatives

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Don’t know 🤷‍♂️

Did you forget the memo? Our AFL listed players are s**t cos they didn’t perform in a scratchy. But some spuds that aren’t listed are

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
first quarter
Rowell Miller Brodie in the middle, Anderson & sharp on the wings
sharp massive torp first shot on goal for the game
Ainsworth & lemmens great tackling early
Fletcher great tackle
budarick on Cameron, out positioned to give up first goal, Cameron too good
Rowell good footy smarts preventing habdball out of contest
Rankine great defensive intensity
luko massive kick out of the defensive 50 to Anderson was nice pasagge of play, luko looking the goods down back
Joyce courageous going back with the flight
budarick gives away free holding on cameron, budarick makes up for it next possession looking good in traffic
McLennan too far behind in marking contest with lanky fu** from Brissy (looks like Rafa)(EDIT: how did i forget hipwoods name lmao)
Murdoch great HTB tackle
Conroy first set shot at goal for suns, awkward kickong action, just misses
Rayner massive grab for lions inside 50! hits the post.
Brodie nice contested mark on the rebound 50
Bowes playing last man in defence
McStay nice grab
Brodie running hard defensively
secco snap shot at goal is a behind
2MP took a contested mark!
budarick great tackle
Bowes 50m off ball behind play, very vocal directing traffic
Rowell ball magnet
need help up forward, can't lock it in
Cameron with an audible "fu**" after a dropped mark
Birchall looks weird in Brissy colours
Brodie nice clearance work, can't find i50 target
end of quarter, seemed to have the upper hand in the last half but couldn't find much forward structure, Brissy lead 1 2 8 to suns 0 5 5

second quarter
sharp and Anderson look good, don't care much for shoenfeld
Rowell nice clearance
Rankine great goal! loose ball intercept in the 50 kicks forward and dribble banana through the big ones
Anderson around most contests
Burgess holding his own against hipwood
2MP marks on 50 but no tall targets to aim for, rushed behind
luko hits up Ainsworth on the lead out of a clearance, slots it
score update suns 2 7 19 lions 1 2 8, 11 mins into second q
Brodie big tackles from centre bounce
budarick lucky to not be HTB in front of goal, Cameron 2 quicc
our Guernsey's look shitty Kmart spec without a manuf on collar
Joyce on Cameron now
26 for lions nice mark against McLennan
old mateo in the crowd has put off two lions shots to not make a score. ball was in def 50 for 5 mins, suns withelr pressure. low scoring game
Mathieson misses handball, lemmens sells some nice candy, suns i50 but can't convert, comes out quick
Brodie nice clearance work again hits Ainsworth then luko on the run. Rowell nice clearance to Smith who snaps at goal and misses
sharp nice work on boundary to force turnover
Anderson with perfect kick on lead to 2MP but drops overhead mark
Rankine snaps at goal at impossible angle, secco almost marks on line.
Graham takes nice intercept mark
couple more shots at goal but misaewz inaccuracy hurting
half time suns 2 10 22 lions 1 2 8
home time, thanks for listening to my ted talk
Yep you were definitely watching the same game I was!!
very impressed with Rowell, Anderson and Sharp.
Can we just delist Showtime now?

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
No injuries is all I want.
Same. Saw Rowell get smashed in a tackle and appeared to go down awkwardly. All I could think was “please don’t hurt your knee” and was very relieved to see him get up apparently unscathed. He’s a tough little buggar. Not much to him, he gets smashed a lot at the coal face, but he just keeps on getting the ball and just as importantly, usually delivers it to a teammate with class. We’ve got a beauty here. Anderson looks a gun as well.
Saw Flanders outside, he looks taller than 182cm.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sounds like we didn't register a score in the last term. Hopefully the fourth quarter fade outs do not linger for us this year.
Lions definitely on top in the last 1.5 quarters. The bigger bodies and extra time in the system definitely helped them.
That said, I think we’ll go better with a full senior team. Rowell, Anderson and co seemed to tire in the second half but I can see them not having to do as much heavy lifting when surrounded by Swallow, Greenwood, Fiorini, Ellis etc.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Back home in Brisbane. It was great to get a footy fix.

Both games played in unbelievably muggy conditions, 26-32 degrees. I was sitting in shade and sweating all the time.
A bit of rain during the half time of women game made conditions even more soap like. Surface was fantastic.

All players not playing on a day made the guard of honour for girls. It was a great moment. Only missing Powell, Riordan and Miles. Good to see Witts without moon boot, Ballard no sling, Towey no cast, Flanders looked fine.

Suns women team has a lot of talent, heart, contest and pressure is the feature. There were a couple of tackles Swallow would be proud of. Tigers came strongly in the last quarter. A lot of happy faces after the game including Cochran, Evans.

I was very surprised that most of 7K crowd left after the women game. I would estimate only 500 stayed, most food kiosks closed.

Warm up. Rankine looks in great shape. Graham lost a lot of his puppy fat. Cameron has a long chat with Fagan, Noble. Hodge chatting with Dew.

Actual game. Kids played only 2nd half (Rosas, Conroy, Murtagh, Ace, Farrar). Miller, Macpherson, Lukosius, Ainsworth, Sexton played only 1st half, Rankine also rested most of the 2nd half I believe.
Pretty scrappy first quarter, 2nd qtr got me excited. The second half we played way too many kids.

Budarick really surprised me. Yes, Cameron got rid of him during his goal but after that I did not notice Cameron too much. Budarick made some spectacular tackles including one on 96kg CEY. For me ahead of Dawson, McLennan for HB position already. I can see him to get games this year and soon.

Graham and Burgess did admirable jobs on 2m tall Lions forwards. As games progressed Graham was getting better and better, spoiled most deliveries.

Rowell and Anderson started very slowly. Especially Rowell, I could not notice him. As game progressed they were getting hands on the ball especially Anderson. He made great leap in the last qtr. Rowell got hammered a couple of times inside. Selwood-like, he continued like nothing happened.

Sharp surprised me. Great body already, running hard, some great kicks. I expect him to play this year.

Luko made a couple of his magic kicks.

Another surprise was Fletcher. Started game really well, great tackles, worked on his upper body in the off-season. Really pitty that Riordan did ACL as he looked even better.

From the kids, Rosas had a couple of Rankine's moves. He will be great to watch. Farrar has great speed, Murtagh showed some good aggression in contest. Easily the least impressive were Conroy and Ace. Though I have to say the team we played in the second half did not help them. At one stage this was our forward line - Conroy, Ace, Farrar, Murtagh, Rosas, Anderson.

Our best 22 played well. I liked Bowes, Miller, Mcpherson, Lemmens, Brodie. Brodie looked great in contest, marking the ball. Lemmens speed was unbelievable, breaking lines. Bowes played Hodge's role in back.

I expected more from McLennan, still some way to go. Dawson, Heron similar to last year.

Nothing new really about Schoenfeld, GHS. Murdoch was decent, C Ellis I really did not notice.

To my surprise Smith was serviceable. He actually dominated BigO in the first half, in the second half he run out of puff a bit I would say.

Most frustrating for me was Wright. Yes, difficult conditions but almost marks is not good enough. I would not be surprised at all if he starts season in NEAFL especially if lean Day plays well in remaining pre-season matches.

Only practice but in general, I liked how boys look, lean bodies, looks like they can run longer, some shed weight. We were good in contest, tackled well, pressured well, missed some opportunities, bombed it forward again.

Considering players lists of both teams I was actually pleasantly surprised how we played.

After the game 4-5 players had a nice chat with Lyons.

A lot of our AFLW team players watched boys game with friends, families.

My worst experience was that I had to watch in front of me before and during women game idiot Zorko preparing and doing FOX interviews. It looks like he got a gig to comment AFLW games in QLD. His constant head nodding was nauseating.

Finally, it looks like no serious injuries. Lemmens did tweak his ankle but played on. Brodie did a bit stretching with his back.

Last edited:
Back