Round 2 Discussion - 2020 AFLW season

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies had some good runs but Blues did really well to prevent them from getting any goals that quarter, and finished the quarter the stronger side. Some more close bounces went against Carlton, and Loynes battled bravely (as she does) but looks quite hurt, so no luck at all this game for the Blues.

The good news for them is they are still in it, with a bit of momentum.

Loynes a trooper, keeps willing herself into it - impressive.

Pies will be kicking themselves that all those early pushes towards F50 didn't result in a goal, 11 points isn't enough to be comfortable with yet

The free kick 60m out that Egan won with 2 mins left in the 3rd typifies Carlton's struggles today. Took too long to move it on and then popped it up to nobody, the Blues had at least three forwards in the 50 but they didn't present!

The free kick 60m out that Egan won with 2 mins left in the 3rd typifies Carlton's struggles today. Took too long to move it on and then popped it up to nobody, the Blues had at least three forwards in the 50 but they didn't present!

Yeah, I say that the Blues have been unlucky with some bounces, and have made as many scoring shots as the Pies, but really, Collingwood have been much cleaner with the ball, and have made their inside 50 chances count through hard work and team work.

Carlton have had a few good players and a few good moments, but nowhere near the same team play, so have had to snap and shoot from long and that is why they missed so many shots. Very surprised at how quiet Vescio has been.

I tipped Carlton, and would always go for the Blues over the Pies (though I softened on the Pies in recent years because I like Buckley coaching the men and really admired the men's 2018 campaign and final), but it is hard to begrudge the Pies that win. They have been slow to start their previous seasons, and rarely played a good brand of football. But that game was beautiful team footy, and they look really formidable, missing arguably their most influential player.

Last edited:
Great to hear honesty from Livingston. Useless was putting it nicely as well

I am happy for Brisbane. They have lost a lot of players due to the expansion yet they currently sit 2-0 and first on the ladder. If it isn’t Richmond that wins, then I hope they do.
I can tell you now you will be on the Lions.

I am happy for Brisbane. They have lost a lot of players due to the expansion yet they currently sit 2-0 and first on the ladder. If it isn’t Richmond that wins, then I hope they do.

I was sure they would struggle. They have played a lovely brand of football.

I'm obviously very happy with what my Dees are doing, and Freemantle are continuing on from where they left off, but Carlton, Collingwood, Brisbane, and even the Suns and Saints all look to have a very attractive style this year. Hopefully it makes for a good year.

I can tell you now you will be on the Lions.
Yeah. To be honest, Brisbane are my second team. Before Richmond was in the competition they were my main AFLW side so I am pleased that they are showing the competition that they are still relevant and good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quality quarter, some great finishing, and the Saints putting up a good fight.

Game is well poised. Saints have been very good, I love a new side coming out and playing so positively. Patrikios is a very exciting prospect.

Crows also fought back well, they have a lot of fresh faces too, but this is a quality match. Speaks well for the idea of expansion.

Should Adelaide have an extra behind to their score? One for the deliberate rushed and one for the missed shot by Newman, I would have thought...

What is the rule in the AFLW? When Goldrick stuffed up in our first match against your mob, the commentators said she could have rushed it behind. I assumed it was because she was under pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back