briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Do I remember correctly. Did you actually post before season started that both Suns and Lions women teams will be s*** next 10 years? No doubt Suns girls deserve an apology from you. It was quite a joy to watch them the first 2 games. Pretty good s*** I would say.
Yep, I’ll put my hand up to that.

I did see most of your second half yesterday, and thought your 3rd quarter was very good.

So yes, I’ve been very surprised by both teams, with how well they’ve played. Looking forward to next week.

It’s a pity we don’t have a home and away series each year.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yep, I’ll put my hand up to that.

I did see most of your second half yesterday, and thought your 3rd quarter was very good.

So yes, I’ve been very surprised by both teams, with how well they’ve played. Looking forward to next week.

It’s a pity we don’t have a home and away series each year.
Hopefully more Lions fans turn out next Sat. It would be great for girls to play in front of let's say 10K.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m genuinely surprised at how well both teams are playing. Especially the Lions. As has been noted on our board, we’re playing much better than last year, which I and many of our postersdidn’t see happening after losing so much talent.

I haven’t just been underrating your list. It’s not some anti Suns bias. I’ve been pretty clear it’s both teams.

Most of my comments are usually replies to a couple of posters who continually say the Suns list is much better than the Lions. As I’ve said repeatedly, I don’t see how anyone can genuinely say this.

It’s not like you picked the eyes out of our list, or other lists. Both teams had to fill out our lists at the draft with players from the lower leagues. We picked players out the QAFLW, while you guys picked up a few girls from the SANFLW and NSW.

It’s not like wplayed competitively yet to get a marker.

Posters often point to the number of U18 AA’s or U18 National academy members the Suns have. The Lions have them too.

It’s great the Suns have 3 in this years National academy, while the Lions only have 1. But if you look at the U17’s, it’s reversed 3 Lions, 1 Sun. Swings and roundabouts.
Here's what I never understood - it's fine to assess your own four year old list after having a terrible season and losing numerous players. It's natural to think your team won't perform very well the following season but to judge an expansion team that had literally played one game ever and go even further by suggesting we won't have any success at all for 10 years was just down right offensive (and I said that at the time if you want to look back). If we were 0-2 right now and both Richmond and the Giants had belted us then I would have accepted that criticism because there would be enough of evidence to back up the claim but you jumped the gun far too early IMO.

Now that I have enough evidence to form a proper opinion, I believe we have a talented list and a game plan that's going to stand up against most teams in the AFLW. I also happen to believe we'll be challenging for a finals position this year and it'll be a sweet feeling if we get the W over the Lions next week to snatch the top ladder position.

Out of curiosity, will you be attending the game at Metricon next week?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hopefully more Lions fans turn out next Sat. It would be great for girls to play in front of let's say 10K.
Can you guys confirm if the Suns v Lions AFLW game is free.

As it’s a curtain raiser to the Suns v Geelong Marsh series game, there’s a belief that it will cost non members $20 per single, or $40 per family to get in for the double header.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Here's what I never understood - it's fine to assess your own four year old list after having a terrible season and losing numerous players. It's natural to think your team won't perform very well the following season but to judge an expansion team that had literally played one game ever and go even further by suggesting we won't have any success at all for 10 years was just down right offensive (and I said that at the time if you want to look back). If we were 0-2 right now and both Richmond and the Giants had belted us then I would have accepted that criticism because there would be enough of evidence to back up the claim but you jumped the gun far too early IMO.

Now that I have enough evidence to form a proper opinion, I believe we have a talented list and a game plan that's going to stand up against most teams in the AFLW. I also happen to believe we'll be challenging for a finals position this year and it'll be a sweet feeling if we get the W over the Lions next week to snatch the top ladder position.

Unfortunately I work weekends. Stay at home dad during the week, work weekends.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Can you guys confirm if the Suns v Lions AFLW game is free.

As it’s a curtain raiser to the Suns v Geelong Marsh series game, there’s a belief that it will cost non members $20 per single, or $40 per family to get in for the double header.
Kids- $0
Concessions- $15
Adult- $20

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Well, I like visiting the Suns forum for a discussion.

Seeing as I have followed the AFLW the three previous seasons, and some of your players have played for us for some of those seasons, and I also follow the U18 champs, I figured I had a little knowledge of your team.

The one element I wasn’t sure of was your coach and what style you would play.

I genuinely don’t see how you could find my views offensive? Ok I said I thought both teams would struggle, finish bottom of the ladder due to both teams splitting the states talent, and topping up with players largely untried at this level.

I haven’t acted aggressive or rude in the discussion.

I haven’t said anything outlandish. Similar views were regularly discussed in the AFLW media during last season almost every game the Lions played. And in season previews by various media. And also discussed on the AFLW BF forum.

I’ve no problems if some disagrees with this. We’re all going to have differing opinions.

So what is exactly the offensive part?

I can’t recall anyone on the Lions forum talking up our chances before the season started. Or talking down the Suns chances.

Yes, there’s been some resentment that we lost a lot of players to the Suns. But I’ve often pointed out on our board, we knew from day one that the Suns were joining the competition and that we’d lose all the GC girls back there.

I’m certainly not about to form an opinion about either the Lions or Suns off of two games.

We saw the media write the Lions off at the beginning of season 2, despite making the GF the year before, and only losing Taylor Harris at the time.

It’s a short season and every result is magnified because of this.

As I’ve repeatedly said here, I’ll wait until after the game to assess either team when comes to both our teams.

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Seeing as I have followed the AFLW the three previous seasons, and some of your players have played for us for some of those seasons, and I also follow the U18 champs, I figured I had a little knowledge of your team.

I genuinely don’t see how you could find my views offensive? Ok I said I thought both teams would struggle, finish bottom of the ladder due to both teams splitting the states talent, and topping up with players largely untried at this level.

I haven’t said anything outlandish. Similar views were regularly discussed in the AFLW media during last season almost every game the Lions played. And in season previews by various media. And also discussed on the AFLW BF forum.

I’ve no problems if some disagrees with this. We’re all going to have differing opinions.

I can’t recall anyone on the Lions forum talking up our chances before the season started. Or talking down the Suns chances.

Yes, there’s been some resentment that we lost a lot of players to the Suns. But I’ve often pointed out on our board, we knew from day one that the Suns were joining the competition and that we’d lose all the GC girls back there.

I’m certainly not about to form an opinion about either the Lions or Suns off of two games.

We saw the media write the Lions off at the beginning of season 2, despite making the GF the year before, and only losing Taylor Harris at the time.

As I’ve repeatedly said here, I’ll wait until after the game to assess either team when comes to both our teams.
Ergh every time you post it becomes a novel mate - takes up half my feed!

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
so your a stay at home dad and also uses that time to have digs at your neighboring teams?
I genuinely don’t post here to have “digs” at either of your men’s or women’s teams.

I like discussion, and being an opposition fan I probably see things differently than how most of you guys see your team.

I rarely post “hot takes” here, but rather try an post we’ll reasoned and thought out responses.

Yes, I like a bit of banter on occasion, but I always try and keep it light hearted.

If you interpret something I say as a negative, it’s certainly not meant to be malicious on my behalf.

Sometimes what I write turns out to be close to mark when it’s looked at in hindsight. Sometimes I’m way off. That’s no different to most Suns posters here, or any fan on any team forum.

What has being a stay at home dad got to do with anything in terms of me posting here?

I posted here when I worked full time. I posted here when my wife and I were sharing duties and both working part time.

Some one asked if I’d be down next week, and I provided a reply with a little extra information. Heck last week someone here asked if I was watching the Suns game on tv, and I replied I was at work.

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Some perspective here. We've beaten a fellow expansion team. There are tougher tests to come. I love the intent & endeavour of our girls. Yes, we've won 1 game, but Briztoon's predictions might not be too far out. Obviously I hope they are & that we keep winning, but let's not crucify the guy for offering an opinion. At least he gives us something to read, when there's not much else happening.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I'll just say this. I found it offensive that you thought it was going to take us 10 years to develop players to a competitive level. That would be a massive failure on the behalf of our coaches given how many U18 AA players our zone produces every year.

Back