Are umpires manipulating games to create close finishes?

Run me through your wins in these finals.

You were a 5/6 side pushed into the top four by an AFL desperate for two weeks of Queensland eyeball numbers to present in the TV right negotiation.

Even if what you're saying is true, North finished 12th. How are the two teams comparable?

kylegee28

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hopefully JeanLucGoddard is right and the AFL keep rigging Brisbane games. Cheating North felt ******* great. Can't wait for next year.

Hopefully JeanLucGoddard is right and the AFL keep rigging Brisbane games. Cheating North felt ******* great. Can't wait for next year.

As soon as the Gold Coast show signs of life they've drop you like grade nine French.

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
AFL tipped off Essendon when they were about to be investigated for PEDs.

The AFL found that Melbourne didn't tank.

The AFL changes its rules on player suspensions for finals.

Look it up.

There’s a long way between trying to protect the image of the game (at the expense of its integrity I agree) and fixing results.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Imo the fixing & manipulation of games by Umpires is blatant. I believe I saw the Umpires help the Lions get back into the game in the first quarter on Saturday & when the game started slipping away again, I thought the Umpires helped us out again. We were outplayed by a better team on the day & should have lost by 6 goals. In my eyes the AFL "competition" & it's Umpires have no integrity.

MagpieJo

Premium Platinum
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
There’s a long way between trying to protect the image of the game (at the expense of its integrity I agree) and fixing results.
You only have to read comments re the 2016 flag to realize a lot here think the game is being tampered with, I for one have no doubt that the Eagles were robbed the year Barry Hall was let off for punching someone, they AFL knew darn well the swans couldn’t win without him, and they needed a swans Premiership, didn’t do much good, the crowds are still s**t. They even came out and said they have to keep the swans competitive.

I have absolutely no faith anymore, in the umpiring or the AFL, and one thing I know we need to be far enough in front every week so the mother of all umpire decisions doesn’t cost us the game. ive sat there 3 times to watch us ‘lose’ a grand final by less than a kick. And let’s not forget the umpire who didn’t hear the final siren!

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
You only have to read comments re the 2016 flag to realize a lot here think the game is being tampered with, I for one have no doubt that the Eagles were robbed the year Barry Hall was let off for punching someone, they AFL knew darn well the swans couldn’t win without him, and they needed a swans Premiership, didn’t do much good, the crowds are still s**t. They even came out and said they have to keep the swans competitive.

I have absolutely no faith anymore, in the umpiring or the AFL, and one thing I know we need to be far enough in front every week so the mother of all umpire decisions doesn’t cost us the game. ive sat there 3 times to watch us ‘lose’ a grand final by less than a kick. And let’s not forget the umpire who didn’t hear the final siren!
The game is being tampered with to rob every club of premierships, and to gift premierships to every club. Peak conspiracy theory, peak stupidity.

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
No doubt in my mind that GWS got a lot of favours from the Umpires this past season, and probably will this coming season, and i can guess why.
You're kidding, right? GWS had by far the worst free kick stats - 18th out of 18 for frees for and 1st for frees against, with a net deficit of 4 per game. No other club gets close to this deficit. So what is your guess? -

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
You're kidding, right? GWS had by far the worst free kick stats - 18th out of 18 for frees for and 1st for frees against, with a net deficit of 4 per game. No other club gets close to this deficit. So what is your guess? -

He is a rugby league troll. The Giants give him nightmares

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
How many people subscribing to the Grand Conspiracy that the AFL and the umpires engineer games also more generally subscribe to the belief that the AFL is overall completely incompetent?

It is scary how daft some people are

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s blatantly obvious to any insane person that the AFL is rigged and all of the umpires and staff are in on it.

VicBased

Club Legend
May 3, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Look, it could be done if you had one or two Umpires on board. Designate them a game which needs to be won for some such reason, but certainly not ALL of them (must be some honest one's surely.). One whistleblower would blow it out the water. But just one or two who could bump games in the right direction. Stevic comes to mind on occasion.

Last edited:

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Look, it could be done if you had one or two Umpires on board. Designate them a game which needs to be won for some such reason but certainly not ALL of them. One whistleblower would blow it out the water. But just one or two who could bump games in the right direction. Stevic comes to mind on occasion.
Who were the West Coast supporting umpires who were “unofficially” banned from umpiring Eagles game?

If I had to guess, Margetts would have to be one of them.

carnaroys08

Cancelled
Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cowboys, Storm.
Is reasonable discussion on any substandard umpiring permissible this season ?

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Early days but they seem to be applying rules more fairly

some umpires have admitted they might actually make decisions as abig F You to the crowd so maybe the no crowd factor is not what people are assuming

Back