Status
Not open for further replies.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
I was thinking over the weekend about how State of Origin football can once again be a feature on the afl calendar. One option I thought was we good have 4 sides, Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and the remaining states as the allies. We kick off with Victoria v south Australia in a one off pre season game and the winner of that game plays the following year at the venue of say WA. Winner again plays the following year at venue of new challenger. So not every state plays every year and only the winner carries on. I think pre season is the best spot for it and this way all states get a chance to play at least once every 3 years.
What do people think?

No thanks. Have no attachment to this state called Allies you speak of.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
This is the problem, without divisions NSW, QLD, TAS, NT, even SA right now probably can't compete with VIC and WA and so it's pointless. The only way to include those states is to merge them into an Allies team or see WA and VIC cream them by 10 goals.

This is the problem, without divisions NSW, QLD, TAS, NT, even SA right now probably can't compete with VIC and WA and so it's pointless. The only way to include those states is to merge them into an Allies team or see WA and VIC cream them by 10 goals.

Could say the same things about the actual comp with certain clubs. Still allowed to compete though.

I remember a suggestion that you have a 1 off game.

1- Vic vs WA
2- SA vs Tas
3- NSW vs Qld
4- ACT vs NT (if doable.)

In The following year winners face the loser in the the above “division”.
If you lose in div 1 you start from the bottom.

So a possible following year would be

Vic vs SA
NSW vs Tas
Qld vs ACT
WA vs NT

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
yeah, * off with the Alies concept.
Big V, WA, SA, NSW, Queensland and Tasmania need rep teams.
Three tiers each pre-season.
Big V v WA
SA v NSW
Tas v Queensland.
If you win, you go up a tier the next pre-season, if you lose you drop down . etc etc.
Top division is championship of Australia.Second division is playing for right to get a crack at that, the next year,
Third division is to try to aim for higher division.

I can handle NSW/ACT playing as one rep team like they do in under 18's as Rams but * off with Allies bullshit.

The problem is it's basically Victoria vs the rest or Vic vs a state that will get smashed, neither of which work.

No one from QLD or SA says "I'd love to play for the allies one day.." But for Victorians playing for Victoria does mean something. There's no passion in it for the rest. You could get some passion into teams if SA represent SA, as there is a history and tradition in that, but then you fall into the problem of Vic being better than everyone making the games boring.

I think we need to accept that State of Origin is a dead concept in the AFL unless some of the other states talent can match Vic head to head, and not a combined team of all states bar 1.

This wouldn't be a topic of conversation if the NRL wasn't doing it so successfully. Unfortunately they win this one. We shouldn't feel too bad though, we win just about everything else vs league.

When Hawthorn teammates Andy Collins and Tony Hall, sorry if that is the wrong name were involved in a
chase down tackle that saw one of the teammates suffer a severe injury that was a line in the sand type
of moment for state of origin footy. That combined with a more national competition has changed the
landscape or moved the goal posts, I feel it can never be the same again. If you look at the composition
of every AFL teams list the percentages are alarming when it comes to the source of the perceived best
talent.

Note: Sorry about the Richmond gag, I was only joking.

Could say the same things about the actual comp with certain clubs. Still allowed to compete though.
Not really comparable. For the foreseeable future there are distinct gaps in quality and the "allies" aren't strong enough for the short term or once off SoO spectacle as stand alone teams.

Victoria, WA, SA, NSW/ACT, QLD/NT. and TAS/World

Play a 6 team tournament every three years in October November

There is no chance of State of Origin coming back in a sustainable fashion as a pre-season or (more ridiculously) during-season one off matches

Do it every three years and do it properly.

The Allies concept is silly. The greatest gain from having SOO would be from tapping parochial sentiments in NSW and QLD.

I actually like the teams they have generated for this year. Really, the idea of everyone in Victoria getting behind the Victoria team and every other state getting behind the Allies is farcical but to see the best players all lining up together in two teams is exciting. If I have players from my team on both sides I'll just be eager for them to go well and see how they work in with the other stars of the competition.

This game will work not because of any state allegiances but more because everyone wants to play and see the best competing with and against the best. I'd love to see this become a regular occurrence (every 3 or 4 years).

I actually like the teams they have generated for this year. Really, the idea of everyone in Victoria getting behind the Victoria team and every other state getting behind the Allies is farcical but to see the best players all lining up together in two teams is exciting. If I have players from my team on both sides I'll just be eager for them to go well and see how they work in with the other stars of the competition.

This game will work not because of any state allegiances but more because everyone wants to play and see the best competing with and against the best. I'd love to see this become a regular occurrence (every 3 or 4 years).

Thats not going to happen though - watch the NBA all star game as a n example of what it will be like

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It can only work with the footy states behind it. NO ALLIES, NO ALL STARS. AFL football is now a national competition and it would have to reduce its season to schedule it without the old mysterious hamstring soreness prevenitng players from participating. You can only have VIC, SA and WA are involved. If you don't have the Croweaters and Sandgropers hating us Vics then it won't ever work. This is all nonsense talk, we already have a national competition, if people are happy to go to a 17 round season then fine, becasue that's what it will take, nobody will be satisfied with just one game, they will want three! State of Origin belongs to the NRL now, it's all the NRL have goiing for it and it belongs because they have just NSW v QLD and to those states victory in State of Origin is more important than the season Grand Final.

Merged team is not Origin.

Victoria, WA, SA, NSW/ACT, QLD/NT. and TAS/World

Play a 6 team tournament every three years in October November

There is no chance of State of Origin coming back in a sustainable fashion as a pre-season or (more ridiculously) during-season one off matches

Do it every three years and do it properly.

The Allies concept is silly. The greatest gain from having SOO would be from tapping parochial sentiments in NSW and QLD.
Good luck getting any players to want to play in November

From the people around me, the interest in this game is waning.

The reason for the game is great, but as for viewers watching it, a bit meh ?.

Should have the 2 current AA anointed leaders, Nat Fyfe & Shannon Hurn, pick 2 teams. Call it the Bunheads versus the Baldies.

I think the reason it is being played has been lost due to the fact the fires they are doing it for were about a month ago. No-one is going to give more money (everyone already has) - just to watch the game

When Hawthorn teammates Andy Collins and Tony Hall, sorry if that is the wrong name were involved in a
chase down tackle that saw one of the teammates suffer a severe injury that was a line in the sand type
of moment for state of origin footy. That combined with a more national competition has changed the
landscape or moved the goal posts, I feel it can never be the same again. If you look at the composition
of every AFL teams list the percentages are alarming when it comes to the source of the perceived best
talent.

Note: Sorry about the Richmond gag, I was only joking.
I was there that day when Andrew Collins who was playing for Victoria tackled Tony Hall who was representing South Australia in the 'mud bath' at the MCG in 1989. The big problem that both Collins and Hall were Hawthorn teammates, and the Hawks at the time were going for back-to-back premierships for the first time in their history. You can imagine what was going through the late Allan Jeans's mind when he saw the incident happen, and Jeans was coach of Hawthorn at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back